getting new pc

WRX22B1998

hey all

getting a new (custom) pc and just wondering what size power supply ( i mean what rating) i should get because I dont really know about this sort of stuff. also do you think the 8500 is good enough for gaming - what could i do and what could i not do.

btw im not worried about dx10 games as iam NOT getting vista so dont say no crysis ^_^

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz

Ram: 2GB DDR2 800

HDD: 250GB 7200rpm ATA100

VGA: 512MB NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT PCI-e

ASUS P5KPL Intel Chipset (integrated gigabit, ac97 audio)

I was thinking of upgrading to SATA hard drives as well but im not sure.

A 600 watt power supply would be fine.

I would personally prefer a 8600GT since it is a great mid-range card with only about $40 extra that you gotta pay.

Oh and the 8500 is not good for gaming. How much are you willing to pay and what sort of stuff are you going to do on the PC? Though 8600 is great, its still not all that powerful.

Come to think of it, the 9600 have just came out. Great card, bit worse than the 8800gt but makes up with the cheaper price.

Edited by Slyde

OK thanks..

but Ive heard alot about the whole "good and bad" brands of power supply. The one that is bundled with this (S.H.A.W.) I have looked around (on google) and heaps of people said they're bad and provide instable power, always varying etc.

And that they are "over-rated" eg they will say 600W but they are weak and only properly make like 500 or something?

I would personally prefer a 8600GT since it is a great mid-range card with only about $40 extra that you gotta pay.

Do NOT do this. Get a 9600GT if you're on a budget. Seriously, I'm actually considering one. Uh, I mean two. Just would like to compare it to the 9800GTX first. It's going to be pretty cheap if I buy it in the USA. 270 EUR there compared to the 400 EUR I'll have to pay here. Just 15 more than a G92 GTS costs here.

I've ordered all my parts. All have arrived except for that damned CPU and they're only expecting it to come at the end of March... >_<

Good thing being that that gives me the time to wait for the GTX too, maybe get that thing.

If you've got the cash: go for a 9800 GTX:

CeBIT08-GeForce9800GTX-3.jpg

Looks sweeeet.

Another option would be the 3870X2. But I just don't like those dual GPU cards. They usually just scale bad (with exeption of COD4).

Come to think of it, the 9600 have just came out. Great card, bit worse than the 8800gt but makes up with the cheaper price.

How about: a little less awesome.

And by the way, it actually performs better in Crysis than the GT does. God knows why..

Edit: and I'd either go for more or for faster RAM too. Or a combination of the two.

RAM is extremely cheap these days. You can get very fast 2GB strips from Crucial for just 55 EUR (I was shocked when I saw the huge price drop.

Very late edit: I'm an ass. I said 9800 GT. I meant 9600 GT. Edited it.

Do NOT do this. Get a 9800GT is you're on a budget.

On a budget? If he thought of a 8500, it's pretty obvious hes not gonna get anything like that or a 3870X2.

9800GT is not even out yet. The release date is still a rumour.

How is 8600GT a bad card? Great for it's value and as Righty said, it's a great card.

And by the way, it actually performs better in Crysis than the GT does. God knows why..

WRONG

18334918rt2.png

Edited by Slyde

lol...idn about all this. I could probably buy a car for the price of that 9800GTX...

400euro, thats like 7 or 800 here (AU) isnt it? jeezus!

The whole computer before was like $850 with everything. Im probably gona buy a PS3 for the games cos i have a feeling pc is gona cost too much (and gets out of date quick)

Typo, I meant the 9600 GT. That is if you've got a budget. Just 170 USD.

And BTW, some other benchmarks I read showed the 9800 being slightly faster than the 8800 GT. They didn't use the standard benchmark utility built into Crysis though. Rather then doing that they actually went through a level and the calculated the average FPS.

How is 8600GT a bad card? Great for it's value and as Righty said, it's a great card.

Compared to ATi's midrange card the 8600 didn't have such high performance and was overpriced.

And you always have to compare stuff to other products. On itself the 8600 is a good card, but ATi just had something better to offer for a cheaper price and for that reason it isn't exactly a good choice.