Changing mod target car

razzman

Hey everyone, I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place to post or if this has been asked loads of times (I had a quick scan of the posts and couldn't see it). I understand how to put mod cars into the game and everything but what i'm wondering is, the car mods all come with a handling file, and if i'm changing the target car by changing the .dff and .txd do I also need to change the name in the handling file to avoid problems?

For example want to install both a dodge viper and ac cobra into SA but theyre both set to replace the cheetah, so I plan to change the files for the cobra and use it to replace the sabre instead. I know that in need to change the .dff and .txd files from cheetah to sabre but do I also need to change the name cheetah in the handling file to sabre as well. any help with this is much appreciated and I do apologise for going on a bit.

Hey everyone, I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place to post or if this has been asked loads of times (I had a quick scan of the posts and couldn't see it). I understand how to put mod cars into the game and everything but what i'm wondering is, the car mods all come with a handling file, and if i'm changing the target car by changing the .dff and .txd do I also need to change the name in the handling file to avoid problems?

For example want to install both a dodge viper and ac cobra into SA but theyre both set to replace the cheetah, so I plan to change the files for the cobra and use it to replace the sabre instead. I know that in need to change the .dff and .txd files from cheetah to sabre but do I also need to change the name cheetah in the handling file to sabre as well. any help with this is much appreciated and I do apologise for going on a bit.

If you're manually installing, you don't even need to change the names of your source files. If you choose the 'Replace' option using ImgTool, just point it to the target .dff or .txd and the only thing changed is the data within the .IMG file you're altering.

If you're using an auto-installer, like SAMI then you MIGHT need to change names. I say might because I don't have personal experience with that program - I always do it manually.

As for the handling file, if you're changing the Sabre's stats (to use your example) just 'Copy and Paste' everything after the Cheetah name into the Sabre's stats. Never change the names used in the Handling.cfg file.

And usually, if someone making the mod goes to the trouble of including an entry for the handling, they've probably tweaked the numbers to get a better, more realistic ride out of it. You can always try out it their way and restore from your backup if you don't like it.