Are we in a simulation?

sibraa5

The 'simulation' idea is that we're actually computer-controlled pre-programmed characters in a computer simulation of the universe we live in. Like a big video game (either for entertainment, education or experimentation) used by some very advanced race in the REAL universe which we have no access to. Imagine a large-scale version of the Sims. Bear in mind that the 'real' universe may be identical to ours (so this simulation is a copy), or it might be similar (this simulation is just a small-scale test of a part of the real world, like a big simcity) or it might be totally totally different and bigger and better than we could ever imagine (so this simulation is a custom-made small-scale test).

The 'being tested' idea is that everyone else in the world (apart from you) is an actor or fake person, and you're being tested and always being watched.

The 'its all a dream' idea is that you are the only real person in the universe and everyone else doesn't really exist.

The 'religion' idea is that there's some super being (or beings) living in THIS universe that made everything and controls everything.

If you die in the 'religion' idea, your soul goes to heaven (or hell) which is some locked away part of this universe.

If you die in a simulation, you probably just end - BUT the simulation will probably run again, and you may or may not exist in that one (but you wouldnt remember it). There's probably no way to link the people in the simulation to the real universe, but that would be an interesting outcome.

If you die in the 'its all a dream' or 'being tested' ideas, you might wake up in the real world.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really crazy when you think about it, what if all these amazing, influential people were all only simulations and were not real. What if John Lennon, etc. were all just simulations? If he was just a simulation, could you imagine what someone of his caliber was/is like in the "real world"?

Really interesting stuff when you think about it.

Again spooky... cos today I was researching the death of Lennon.

Youre the first person here who's actually bothered to post about the 'real' world (if this was a simulation). And you're absolutely right. If this was a small-scale simulation (eg only 1 planet out of millions IRL; or a very cut-down version of IRL) then the real world would be immense.

As for the people, well for a start they could make simulations like this (which is slightly impressive), although theyre still slightly cruel because they let all this suffering and death go on. If this is true (not saying it is), I hope they programmed an afterlife.

Whoah... this is sounding very religious. We're basing theories of the origin of life and the existence of higher beings and an afterlife on pure speculation. Difference is we don't even have any myths or religious texts or disciples or anything. I think we should make some.

Trust me, this is nothing...

Try reading about theories and philosophies concerning the nature of time. Anything ranging from the flow of time (static theories as opposed to dynamic theories), the possibilities of time travel, or even the fact of whether or not time actually exists to begin with.

That is literally mind-boggling. If you think about it, time is the most fundamental phenomenon there is, whether it be the inception of the universe, or even the existence of god.

Even if we were to exist in a simulated universe, time is still an independent occurence, even fundamental to the universe that may lay beyond our awareness. I don't believe that can be said of any other phenomenon known to man.

I've thought that I'm being tested too. Sometimes I've had the urge to go up to someone and just say, "Give it up now".

Haha, nice. Imagine how horrible it would be if you "found out" you were a test subject for the government or something.

How frustrating.

MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE FTW!

Maybe Lennon's coming back....

I heard he's bringing along Tupac and Elvis.

As for the people, well for a start they could make simulations like this (which is slightly impressive), although theyre still slightly cruel because they let all this suffering and death go on. If this is true (not saying it is), I hope they programmed an afterlife.

Then maybe you should think twice about what you have video game characters do...

I use Lennon as an example but this could apply to others, the guy wanted nothing but peace pretty much and was killed. If you were watching us for fun, wouldn't you rather see us fight than all get along? So discrimination, hate, wars, etc. would all make sense if someone was just trying to get a laugh out of us... (Maybe I'm thinking to much into it :P). Oh, and I too have been listening to a lot of Beatles/Lennon/McCartney lately, and have been reading a lot about them... Weird... :P

Edit: Another thing, would this "real world" be in peace? If they're so smart they could simulate an entire universe, would they be smart enough to live in peace and not fight? Hmm...