One way to avoid CJ saying bad words.

Fuck, shit, cocksucker, piss, motherfucker, tits, and cunt. Thank you, George Carlin. Kids are gonna learn these and other words anyway, and more than likely from their own parents. You can try, but there are some things you can't protect your kids from, may that be racism, violence, sex, cursing, etc. Edited by TEC 9

I'd agree with Chris.

It's not like we're gonna die if you say "Shit", "Fuck", "Tits" and/or "Cunt". I mean, I learnt a few bad words when I was 7 years old, and I never got out of control and said it in front of my parents, I knew it was wrong. Besides, I know quite alot of words, but I never say them, unless I've got a reason to why.

Most kids learn bad words from friends. My dad even knows that I play games with swearing, and he doesn't give a shit cause he knows I'm eventually gonna know most of it. I take a mature approach with them, so it doesn't do much to me.

Or theirs the alternative which is turn the volume off completely, or get a version of the game that censors the swear words (Which I don't think exists).

The first 5 bad words I learned from my father when I was little is; Cunt, Ass, Bitch, Fuck, and Shit.

Although when I turned 10, I used Fuck, Bitch, and shit in my school. I got into trouble when I got chased by my classmate and said Oh Shiiiit in front of the 8th grade teacher. I started to turn red and get shy.

• 3 weeks later...
It was never ment for kids.

That's how you feel.

If a Spanish person who didn't understand English was called a bitch, would he be offended? No, because that word doesn't exist in Spanish so the meaning is unknown. If you didn't know Spanish and you were called a puta, the same would apply to you because you have no idea what the meaning is.

They are just words, you should teach your kids that it's the intent that actually matters. Many parents will tell their children to use different words in certain situations...i.e. a small child says "Shut Up" and the parent says "No, say 'Be Quiet'!". This is bad parenting. Words are not physical actions, and the notion that someone shouldn't be allowed to say something because it offends someone else is insane.

It was never ment for kids.

That's how you feel.

If a Spanish person who didn't understand English was called a bitch, would he be offended? No, because that word doesn't exist in Spanish so the meaning is unknown. If you didn't know Spanish and you were called a puta, the same would apply to you because you have no idea what the meaning is.

They are just words, you should teach your kids that it's the intent that actually matters. Many parents will tell their children to use different words in certain situations...i.e. a small child says "Shut Up" and the parent says "No, say 'Be Quiet'!". This is bad parenting. Words are not physical actions, and the notion that someone shouldn't be allowed to say something because it offends someone else is insane.

LIke you said, That's how you feel. As I said everyone is different. YOu see it as bad parenting. I see it as teaching your child how not to be rude. It all depends on where you live and how you were brought up and what is socially acceptable in the society you live in. Where I live it is not acceptable for kids to use words like fuck and shit so what is the point in them learning those words? Maybe were you live it's cool and that's your call but for me I don't want my kids talking like that.

Btw words often have much more impact on people than physical actions. If you can't understand this you really have absolutely no grasp of how language and communication work.

LIke you said, That's how you feel. As I said everyone is different. YOu see it as bad parenting. I see it as teaching your child how not to be rude. It all depends on where you live and how you were brought up and what is socially acceptable in the society you live in. Where I live it is not acceptable for kids to use words like fuck and shit so what is the point in them learning those words? Maybe were you live it's cool and that's your call but for me I don't want my kids talking like that.

Btw words often have much more impact on people than physical actions. If you can't understand this you really have absolutely no grasp of how language and communication work.

There going to learn it anyways, so you can't protect their ears forever.

There going to learn it anyways, so you can't protect their ears forever.

Do you realize how messed up that logic is? There are lots of bad and terrible things in life that my children will eventually learn. That doesn't mean it should all be put on them at once as soon as they are capable of understanding.

That's not what TM was saying, he's saying you shouldn't just try and shield your kids though, because they will learn

These words which have no effect on you whatsoever, they're just words.

I understand your point of view and teaching your child not to be rude is different than what you're doing. There are situations that are seen as inappropriate to use profanity and that's understandable, but no matter where you live, the kids swear.

The kids will say whatever they want when you're not in earshot because they can. It's unstoppable so why try to stop it?

I never said I was trying to keep things from my kids forever. I just feel there's a time when they are ready and a time when they're not. When my son was small I didn't feel he was ready for the violent games so I didn't let him watch me play. We mostly stuck with things like racing games and such. Now he is older and we play stuff like Halo and Half Life Orange Box. He even watches me play certain parts of GTA SA but I wear headphones because there is constant chatter in the game about sex stuff and lots of other mature content that I don't think he's ready for. When the time comes I have no problems with it. But he's only 8 and to me that's too young to expose him to the whole twisted GTA world. There is a lot of sicko content in the GTA games even if you don't see it that way because you have dulled your senses by being exposed to it too much.

And to anyone that thinks words mean nothing you really have no concept of language and the impact it can have on people. Imagine the white guy that yells N***er in the middle of Harlem. Yea it's just a word and words don't hurt anyone right? Well I guarentee you that White guy is gonna feel some pain. Words do impact people. They do have an effect whether you think so or not. Words start wars, break up families, rip people's lives apart. The words you use in life also tell people who you are and what you stand for. If you don't know the power of language it's about time you started learning.

In the end it's every parent's right to raise their children as they see fit. And I certainly wouldn't change how I personally raise my children simply because a couple of people on a game forum said it was ok for little kids to be exposed to the worst of human obscenities via some video game. Some of you really have a very twisted set of values. The game has an M rating for a reason.

Edited by Garrison64

And to anyone that thinks words mean nothing you really have no concept of language and the impact it can have on people. Imagine the white guy that yells N***er in the middle of Harlem. Yea it's just a word and words don't hurt anyone right? Well I guarentee you that White guy is gonna feel some pain. Words do impact people. They do have an effect whether you think so or not. Words start wars, break up families, rip people's lives apart. The words you use in life also tell people who you are and what you stand for. If you don't know the power of language it's about time you started learning.

Bad example, because that particular word invokes a double-standard, I won't get into that argument here, but yes it's just a word, it's not hurting anybody, the physical actions are what is hurting him.