San Andreas running on Asus Eee PC!

azn

The Asus Eee PC is a small notebook which runs Linux as standard. In this video the person probably modded the system a little bit or it's the new model of the Eee.

Specs:

900mhz Celeron running at 600mhz

512mb ram

reading over wireless

Windows XP

Also, notice the terrible frame rate.

EDIT:

A improved version with a better frame rate can be seen here > http://youtube.com/watch?v=FIAdL1jpAHI

Edited by αzи

When the Eee was released I thought of the possibility of running a GTA game on it; however, you would probably use an external, high-speed hard drive to compensate for the game's rawther big footprint... And, of course, you need to set the display settings to minimum to get the best framerate... Oh, and my avatar has Eloise using an Eee... :dribble:

Yeah, in the second link the person used an external hard drive to run the game, as he would have to anyway; The Eee's flash drive only leaves about 1GB after Linux and all it's apps are installed. I asked him on Youtube comments for the exact specs because I might try it myself.

Yeah. It was meant to rival the 'One laptop a child' or something. Ever since it's initial release many companies have gone down the subnotebook path and created underpowered, extremely small notebooks. Most of them were well done, however have one huge flaw. And I mean HUGE. It would either be a terrible graphics card, irreplaceable battery (Macbook Air) Terrible processor or something of that. They are getting better as we speak though, example Asus have created the Asus U2E which is an 11" notebook running Vista. The specs are:

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor ULV U7500 1.06 GHz (2MB L2 Cache 533MHz FSB)

* Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Business

* Chipset: Intel GM965

* Memory: 3GB DDR2 667 MHz (1GB+2GB) Expandable to 4GB

* Display: 11.1" WXGA (1366 x 768) LED Backlight

* Graphics: Intel GMA X3100 Integrated graphics

* Hard Drive: 120GB 1.8" IDE HDD 4200 rpm (optional 32GB SSD + 160GB External HDD)

* Optical Drive: Super Multi DVDRW

* 8-in-1 Card Reader, 3 USB, VGA out, micro-DVI (HDMI), and LAN

* Batteries:

o 9-Cell (rated for 6+ hours)

o 3-Cell (rated for 2 hours)

* Dimensions:10.9" x 7.6" x 0.98"-1.1"

* Weight:

o 2 lbs 13.5 oz with 3-cell battery

o 3 lbs 8 oz with 9-cell battery

* Security TPM / Finger Print Reader / Smart Logon

* Supplied Accessories: Bluetooth mouse and Carrying Bag

* Asus 360 Service and Accidental Damage Protection (2-year for notebook, 1-year for battery)

* MSRP: $1,999 as configured ($2,699 with 32GB SSD and 160GB external HDD)

Source: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4314

The Eee's specs are: (for anyone looking for them..)

Processor : 900MHz Intel Mobile CPU

Memory : 512MB RAM

Hard drive : 4GB SSD

Chipset/Graphics : Intel 910

Operating System : Linux (customized by Asus)

Dimensions (WDH) : 8.8 x 6.5 x 0.9 inches

Screen size (diagonal) : 7.0 inches

System weight / Weight with AC adapter [pounds] : 2.0/2.4 pounds

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-p...7-32466960.html

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys realize how cheap an 8gig SD card is these days? 40 bucks. I am planning on getting the Linux version, wiping the HD, then installing an nLited XP with a USB CD drive. A regualur nLited XP install is under 600mb, leaving at least 3.2 gigs free. Programs and whatnot can go onto the HD until it's full, and you could squeeze GTA, GTA 2, GTA 3, and GTA Vice with 1.6 gigs free on the HD. The SD card slot on the EEE Pc does not stick out at all, so you wouldn't need to carry any external. Just get an 8 gig SDHC card. The EEE also requires that you overclock it to 900mhz get decent framerates in San Andreas and Vice City. You also need to buy a 1GB or 2GB Ram upgrade, costing from $25 to $50. I know that you could invest $600 in some better laptop, but why, when you could have everything you want in the size of a 9" DVD player. I am also just going to buy a Targus 9" DVD player case, as there is no custom case for this, just generics.