Piracy

Kitsune Inferno

As you all know, GTA IV was recently leaked online for people to illegally download for free. This incident has sparked some heated discussions questioning the morality of the issue, as well as some hypocrisy on some members' parts. So my question is, what is your opinion on piracy?

Personally, I think some of you need to get off your moral high-horse. I'd be willing to bet around 90% of us have downloaded music from torrent sites and Limewire. A lot of us have pirated movies, as well. So, what's the difference between one obscure song and one high-profile game?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Piracy even though I have done it before when I probably didn't know of the Piracy laws. But GTA IV on the internet is crap because it is not meant to be on the internet, it isn't meant to be available until Tuesday but with the people nowadays who want to share the game with millions of other people by putting it on the internet, it is ludicrous. I don't think anyone minds getting GTA IV early but it is against the law which is one reason why I'm not.

I really don't care, Rockstar is an admirable company but they chose to ship to stores as early as they did, you can never trust humans to do what they're supposed to...especially the underpaid trucker/employee/whoeverthefuck who stole it and uploaded it.

As for pirating in general...let me ask you a question...why should you pay $20 for a CD with 12 songs on it and some of them you don't like...or download the songs for a cheap price but you get DRM...why should you have to deal with that?

I buy music at one place...Amazon MP3. Why? Good selection, good price, and no DRM bullshit.

Take-Two & R* put a lot of work into GTA, they deserve to make a little money for it. I had a couple years of computer

programming & speaking as someone who has looked at GTASA'a script there's a lot to making a game work. They just

spent 6 months making sure the version they thought was finished would work on both launch consoles & the multi-player

would also work.

If they find the source of the pirated version, polish your resumes. There WILL be an opening at R* or TT.

now see i wouldn't get it online,if i was offered a copy of GTA4 for the 360 earlier and cheaper i would say yes if i could get it i would take it with my bare hands!but piracy all in all isn't as bad as some think it doesn't put many out of business as it may seem i watch movies for free listen to music for free even play some games for free but i will not completely fck R* on any of there games but downloading it for the computer instead of the way god intended

Well I am pirate.

What do you feel when you buy a game and it turns out to be SH*T?

I felt bad.

That doesn't mean i don't buy games, I still do sometimes.

Also most pirates wouldn't buy game anyway.

Edited by DeAtH

I posted this on GTAForums, in the GTA 4 PC Version topic page 249...

"Piracy is a issue in my country because the prices are exagerated and the wages are low compared to them ... I mean a PC game outside is 20 bucks but here most of them are at least $50, also a PS2 here is 200 dollars, a PS3 about 600 and an XBOX360 is 500 dollars whilst the average wage is 200 dollars a month You simply have to stop eating/watch TV/wash yourself etc. for a full month to afford a PlayStation 2 ... :nervous:

Could you survive with $200 a month and buy licensed games ? As for PC upgrading, well we pay at least $100 more for video cards, processors, LCDs etc.

That's why so many people here buy a computer and use it for gaming and working and they spend $400 on a upgrade, do you think they'll buy licensed games ?"

People post up soundtracks on Youtube, but people end up downloading them through a program or site. There is a trance song I cannot find, Rococo - Kansai which was the theme song for Midnight Club 2 in which I found on Youtube and downloaded it. I see the CD for sale on Amazon but I don't buy from there.

I pirate endless amounts of media, I don't care. When possible though, I'm always still willing to buy movies, games and music if I like them. I simply don't have the finances to go out and buy everything. Even if I did though, I would still download the majority of games and music and whatnot first. I'm only willing to buy something if it's actually good. I'm sure as hell not about to go out and spend 50 dollars on a new game just to find out it's a piece of shit. All that will happen then is those game developers will have the financial resources to produce even more shitty games, simply because you were too ignorant to look into what you were buying.

I pirate music but that doesn't mean I don't buy it. I'll download some songs by an artist and if I like them that much I'll buy one of their CD's, the artist barely gets any profit from their CD's anyway which is a bit of a shame but if they did cost anymore people wouldn't buy them. I would buy more CD's but I never seem to have enough money, just buy the occasional one now and then.

As for films, I don't really watch many or TV in that case so I'll rarely download one. And as for the cinema; films there don't even look that good and I have to leave my home to go see a film for about 1/4 of the price of the actual film on DVD or Blu-Ray when I could just buy it and watch it whenever I please (even though I don't think I've bought a film in the last year but I really want to buy a Blu-Ray movie to test it out on my PS3 :))