Piracy

Kitsune Inferno

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i download stuff its usually music, or sometimes a movie (maybe 1 a month). sometimes i download psp games, i barely ever download pc games (not new ones anyways) since my laptop isnt good enough.

i did try out the iTunes store - it's good if you only ever use iPod or iTunes, only 128kbps so its average quality. the biggest pain is if you put the songs on a usb, then the itunes on the other computer u have to authorize and onyl allowed to authorize up to 5 comps, can only burn to cd X times, other stupid stuff like that. So i would probably buy a CD over getting the album on itunes, at least i can rip the cd to whatever quality mp3 (no bloody drm)

ages ago when i was one of the few in my school with broadband i used to burn movies onto cd and sell them for like $5 at school. then i sorta got busted (not me particularly, a senior teacher mentioned it at assembly)

"I do buy Bootleg DVD Movies"

how can you pay for those, how much did you pay anyway, i wouldnt pay more than $2 a movie (cost of disc) cos they are getting it for free...

I dont think theres any difference between 1 song and a movie or a game, piracy is piracy. But you hear about such crazy things with RIAA like suing that 12 year old girl and making her pay $2 a song or something. ( x 1000) source

thats just nuts.

Edited by WRX22B1998

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Me? I'm an open-source advocate; I know that most software companies see warez and pirates as vermin, but there are times that companies do nothing but confuse the user or force him/her to comply with some sleazy license or a rather complicated app protection scheme. I have a friend of mine who got pissed off at the BSA for those raids in his workplace, even if he's using a licensed version of Window$:

I'm yawning, I'm yawning, I'm yawning.

I didn't sleep well again last night. Between the fact that I never did since Strawberry Shortcake got canceled, the stupid Malaysian weather (I ended up sleeping with my air conditioner left running) and that our workplace got a threatening call from the BSA (business software alliance, jerks who go around and confiscate computers who they suspect of running pirated and illegal software. Although I personally call them by a different name that's too vulgar to post here because all they do is cause people grief). Caused me to work unpaid overtime yesterday because the boss got frightened by their call and threat that they're going to do a surprise spot check on us (apparently, the last time they did, the company lost a bunch of computers because the IT personnel wasn't doing his job) and insisted that we do another round of checks for those, and my parking cost more (the stupid parking lots here charge an exorbitant one dollar an hour, with no charge ceiling- yesterday's parking cost me a good RM12- enough for a hearty dinner at KFC). So, I went home late. Thanks to those monkeys at the BSA.

I hope Linux goes mainstream and squish Microsoft, Adobe and Symantec. Then I can see those monkeys at the BSA die a painful death. Yeah, I hate the BSA. I really hate them. I hated them since college. Doesn't take much to figure out that I'm an open-source advocate and am anticipating to switch all my computers to Linux and BSD one day (perhaps leaving one or two PC with ReactOS and FreeDOS, and perhaps putting OpenDarwin on my Mac) out of spite if the BSA has finally gotten on the last of my nerves, even though I have valid licenses for Windows and MacOS.

I know that software companies want to earn bucks from selling their wares, and I don't encourage people to crack and use warez, but I think Micro$oft and some other companies are rather demanding and stuff when it comes to protecting their interests, going so far as to implementing mandatory activation schemes.

I agree on R*'s notion of selling their software, since they pretty much spent a lot developing things and working with actors and actresses, but other firms' notion of "licensed, not sold" confuses some of us. Do I actually own my licensed copy of Windows XP? No.

lol

that video llama posted so funny. you wouldnt shoot a police officer, then steal his hat. then go to the toilet in it...

the end was good, FBI lol.

did anyone see the south park episode about piracy? also the episode where cartman makes a christian rock band here wikipedia

Edited by WRX22B1998

just for the laughs

f-Think-Illegal-Downloading-Is-Free-5650.jpg

Lol I love the Pirate bay guys cockiness, Quote from their legal section, Its a reply to EA's notice to take down all the EA stuff from their site

Hello and thank you for contacting us. We have shut down the website in

question.

Oh wait, just kidding. We haven't, since the site in question is fully

legal. Unlike certain other countries, such as the one you're in, we have

sane copyright laws here. But we also have polar bears roaming the

streets and attacking people :-(.

Please don't sue us right now, our lawyer is passed out in an alley from

too much moonshine, so please atleast wait until he's found and doesn't

have a huge hangover...

> As you are listed as the registrant for this website, EA demands that

> you immediately and permanently disable access to the aforementioned

> bittorrent seeds for The Sims 2 and any in the future

You're free to demand anything you want. So are we. We demand that you

cease and desist sending letters like this, since they're frivolous and

meaningless. Where should I send the bill for the consumed diskspace and

bandwidth?

Thank you for your entertainment. As with all other threats, we will

publish this one on *******

//anakata

These guys were taken down and their servers where confiscated But under the

Swedish law torrents are legal and Since the could not be sentanced abd also thousands

of people gatherd outside the police station, These guy are Epic!

@Llama: Now I get it, Just watched that ep!

I used to download music, and I still try to when possible - I can't afford to buy all the albums I want. If they lower the price to £5 for a brand new CD, then sure I'd buy them. Then it'd be in line with what America pays for CDs, but until then, I won't. Having said that, ever since this agreement was signed a few weeks ago, I'm sceptical about doing it. The agreement is basically that 6 of the biggest ISPs are going to send letters to people downloading music for free, and then eventually cut off their internet for good. It's already been in place in America now for a while, and now it's in the UK as well.

However, get an IP hider thingy and you're golden.

I'd never download games or films though, no point. Another thing - if you want a videogame soundtrack but can't find it in the shops, the only logical way is to download it, or rip the music from the game. I personally think it's legal for videogame soundtracks, seeing as not many of them are put onto CD.

Edited by The Bossman

• 3 weeks later...

I have never intentionally downloaded anything illegal, i downloaded NO-CD/DVD cracks for games that i bought, but when i was told its not allowed, i stopped, and re-installed all of my cracked games, if you cant afford it, you dont get it, its stealing, and it gets on my conscience and makes me feel bad, so i never have done it, although i have ripped music from games on my computer because i was told 'what you do with the files on your system, is your business', ive never gone beyond that

Edited by claude-5

well technically i think, if you own the game, you can rip the soundtracks or whatever, but you can only use them for yourself, no p2p sharing or torrent, or even burning it to a cd for a friend. then again even ripping it might be illegal because you are breaking the copyright protection or something.

Edited by WRX22B1998

well technically i think, if you own the game, you can rip the soundtracks or whatever, but you can only use them for yourself, no p2p sharing or torrent, or even burning it to a cd for a friend. then again even ripping it might be illegal because you are breaking the copyright protection or something.

they cant stop you ripping if its a PC game

Why not? It makes no difference WHAT-SO-EVER what it was developed for or played on. It's still the same thing.

Why not? It makes no difference WHAT-SO-EVER what it was developed for or played on. It's still the same thing.

if its a PC game, they cant stop you moving around/editing the files on your system

if its a PC game, they cant stop you moving around/editing the files on your system

Once you buy ANY medium they can't stop you. But that doesn't make it any less illegal. You can't stop someone from pulling a gun on a random person and firing it. But again, that doesn't make it any less illegal.