Piracy

Kitsune Inferno

Once you buy ANY medium they can't stop you. But that doesn't make it any less illegal. You can't stop someone from pulling a gun on a random person and firing it. But again, that doesn't make it any less illegal.

if you have installed these files on your computer, you can do what you want with them, the law cannot make it a crime to edit/move files installed on your system, so if you rip music from say... GTAIII for PC, its not a crime

Edited by claude-5

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is.

The game is distributed 'as is' - as a full, product. You may not decompile it in whole or in part for use other than that stated in the T's & C's - namely for PERSONAL entertainment purposes. You posess a liscence only to play the game, create a single backup copy. Nowhere do the T&c's state that you may extract files from the game for personal use.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of bringing this back up, but it's a decent issue. I used to do it a lot in the past, and still have most of them on my iPod, but recently I've started cutting down over the last 3 months, because of the ISP thing I mentioned a while back, and how you could get fined if you're found downloading illegally. Now I'm mainly going through all my music and creating playlists out of them for different moods, and it works quite well. Not quite the same as new music every day, but it's okay. I don't condone illegal downloading, but obscure songs not found on iTunes or Amazon are quite difficult to come by, as well as other sites. I guess the only examples I can think of is from videogames. Soundtracks for those aren't produced that often, with some exceptions, the Hitman games, GTA, Final Fantasy, etc. I still support artists and bands I like - Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Arcade Fire, Eminem, etc, and I'll continue to do so, but I won't stop DLing because I think Britain gets shafted on a lot of things, and I don't see why I should have to pay £10+ for 1 CD. In America it's $10 or less per CD.

With the high prices of just about everything these day, you can't blame people for this sort of thing. I buy tons of burnt DVDs and sometimes download movies on my computer. I'd rather do that than pay almost $30 for two people just to see a movie in a theater or close to $6 just to rent it. I pay $20 for 6 movies and that includes movies still in theaters.

In America it's $10 or less per CD.

Like hell it is

Well, you know what I mean. In England it'll be £15 for a 'special edition' CD, and in America it'll be $14 or so, much cheaper if you look at the exchange rate. We're basically paying twice as much for CDs than America is.

well technically i think, if you own the game, you can rip the soundtracks or whatever, but you can only use them for yourself, no p2p sharing or torrent, or even burning it to a cd for a friend. then again even ripping it might be illegal because you are breaking the copyright protection or something.

they cant stop you ripping if its a PC game

Acctully, a lot of Microsoft Games have cookies in the files, that prevent copying them

Dragonforce are shit, but thats just my opinion.

On topic, those new bands, or "lesser bands" who give up on music till people start buying are idiots. Giving away some stuff on the net can make you. No one can be arsed to pay for new stuff, you have to show us your stuff then we can say if we would actually buy something from the certain musician.

Dragonforce are shit, but thats just my opinion.

On topic, those new bands, or "lesser bands" who give up on music till people start buying are idiots. Giving away some stuff on the net can make you. No one can be arsed to pay for new stuff, you have to show us your stuff then we can say if we would actually buy something from the certain musician.

true but it should only be samples for example one maybe 2 songs from an album not an entire album i mean they have to make some money

This is an interesting gray area. My brother and I have no pirated games. However we do install the NoCD hacks (I must using Linux and all) but Josh does it just to save wear on the DVD or CD. Also I listen to music on the internet at the playlist.com site. Now there is a real gray area, I listen to the shared music while playing my MMORPGS. I didn't pay to listen to the music, I don't burn the music but the music is there to listen to and enjoy. My brother recently modded his Xbox and installed his entire library of 109 games to the HDD. He still has the disks so it is not piracy. But many of our actions are considered illicit or even illegal. My Grandma got in trouble from her ISP for downloading DVD's now she is seeking a new ISP, I buy DVD's because most movies I want are cheap and I prefer the better copy. Then another gray area that this and other sites like it activly take part in Reverse Engineering of PC Games. Also called modifying or modding. I am all for modding any game, the benefit is you get more active shelf life and the game is more popular. Many modders will disagree saying the games are meant to be changed. But all you need to do is read the EULA of any software program such as Rockstar's EULA:

The Software may not be copied, reproduced or distributed in any manner or medium, in whole or in part, without prior written consent from Owner. Any persons copying, reproducing or distributing all or any portion of the Software, in any manner or medium, will be willfully violating the copyright laws and may be subject to civil and criminal penalties. Be advised that Copyright violations are subject to penalties of up to $100,000 per violation.

So you see by law, all the modders owe Rockstar for distributing the portions of GTA in part. Bottom line is Rockstar knows we are good for business so they turn a blind eye and allow us to carry on. It wouldn't help sales to hear in the press Rockstar launches major suit against customers. Yes we reverse engineer the software and redistribute in part the models, audio, and scm files. So there are no black and white issues of piracy just shades of gray.

Yes, I download. But no, I don't feel good about it. I'll be giving them all of what I owe em when I get rich! :P (Seriously)

I don't want to have to download, but I cant be assed or cant afford going to the shop for it and when I want one song instead of a whole album, I don't want to spend ages looking around for a single that may not even exist for £10... I'd rather listen NOW for free via Limewire or Google :P

If that is considered 'crime' then I think everyone who has internet is a criminal since we all have download something copyrighted at some point, whether it's a game, song or movie.

Actually, there are people who use the internet for entirely legal purposes.

Well i doubt that. Sometimes they don't even know what they are downloading is illegal.

If that is considered 'crime' then I think everyone who has internet is a criminal since we all have download something copyrighted at some point, whether it's a game, song or movie.

Actually, there are people who use the internet for entirely legal purposes.

Well i doubt that. Sometimes they don't even know what they are downloading is illegal.

True. It is hard to tell. But if you are talking about music I can speak from first hand knowledge you are NOT hurting the artist only the record company. The pop artist makes the big bucks at concert and on tour. Playing the song on a radio station pays the artist around $ 0.00001 and sales (unless they are independent) are pennies too. Some pop artists have said this in interviews and I personally know an independent artist in my hometown she sells her CD on the various internet sites like CD Baby and ringtones. While she doesn't like the fact that some people are bootlegging her CD, she said, she understands the plight of some 3rd world countries like Romania. A woman from that country sent her fan mail and told her it was bootleg but the only way to get it. Went on to say she had to take out a loan with the bank just to buy a CD Player! She went on to tell me she get madder when pop artists steal her music and the overall song and just retune it so they don't get sued for copyright violation.

My Mom is a big Bon Jovi fan going all the way back to the 80's. She has every one of his albums all purchased in the stores. But she probably gave him more money than ever before when her and Dad went to his concert in Detroit last Summer. Concert tickets is where the musicians money comes from. Not the tapes or CDs.