Criticism over IGNs 10/10 Rating

Thomas.

Variety's Ben Fritz thinks that IGN's 10-out-of-10 rating of Grand Theft Auto IV was a bit to much. He draws a line that seems to connect "exclusive" first-crack reviews of games and superior, almost historic ratings (as is the case in GTA IV.)

Kotaku Says:

For example, Game Informer gave Mass Effect a near-perfect 9.75 out of 10, while citing many problems that might otherwise lead to a lower score (and the fact Dan himself doesn't think it even comes close, but never mind that.) Without passing judgment on GTA IVs 10/10ness, he thinks that exclusive reviews are "ethically troubling" at minimum.
"But how can we trust a videogame review when the outlet running it has been given a major commercial favor — one that's worth money — from the publisher of the game? You never see a paper or TV station getting special access from a movie studio or TV network or book publisher to run an "exclusive review." Imagine the L.A. Times or Roger Ebert touting their "exclusive review of 'Iron Man.'" Absurd, right? So why do we tolerate it for a videogame?"

Source: Kotaku

I don't get why people get so butt hurt over ratings, I mean seriously it's a game, and it's either good or bad, most of all it is THEIR OPINION on the game.

A game stays a game. But when large sums of money get involved it's more then a game. Both Kotaku and IGN are big players on internet gaming websites so gamers would take their words more seriously over reading things such as user reviews. I know I do. I mean, IMO GTA is very deserving of the 10 as Rockstar did spend nearly 5 years of making and 300 people to create this masterpiece. Compare this to EA and their annual releases; once they get off their feet it's just simply alter graphics, change UI, add extras and so forth. If something like that was awarded a perfect score then I would raise this issue that the game was nowhere near deserving of the rating it got.

even though it's an honest review from IGN, if they still think IGN is exagerrating it's their right to do so. because every game critics, no let me rephrase that: everyone in this earth have different opinions about anything, basically we have no right to call 'em an ass, because even if R* games spent lifetime to make GTA IV, they have to accept every aspects and views from everyone to make the next game even BETTER

if everyone calls GTA IV as a perfect game they would be confused on how to make it better. as a GTA fan i accept those critics, especially if they are good critics. even einstein was criticized by other people and he accept it. i know that R* has put very much of their blood and sweat in this game but they still have to brace themselves from those critics. we can't push our demands to make the game perfect in every review, if it's perfect in your opinion then you have to take other opinions explaining about whether the game was not perfect.

critic is also the spice of life, we better get used to it. it's the way of a perfect democracy

in my opinion, the game is 10/10 so far as i saw it in previews and new features, but let's see when i play it