I have it, I'm playing it... I'm not as happy

MichaelS

So some reviewers gave it a 10/10..... nice way to hype the game up. I received my game 2 hours before release and was apparently one of the first 20 aussies to have the game (well from buying it from game). In excitement I race home, threw it in (yeah don't worry its only a 5 minute installation). Now the game play is good, graphics are great, i have one problem, the controls.

First, the handbrake in the car is very UNrealistic to what it is in real life. If you use the handbrake you will find the car spins out WAY to much, resulting in missing the corner, doing a 180 OR doing a 360. The controls take getting use to (on PS3), its a bit harder to go around corners as the cars don't handle to well around them, MOST of the cars have a slow feeling (i like the way cars were in vicy city and san andreas), then we get to the physics of crashing, its not as "realistic" as hyped to be, the cars supporting LESS damage than what was in previous games... I smashed into a poll doing top speed having the car simply getting a little ding and scratches. Flying out of the window is a cool feature, however annoying when in persuit and you hit another car. Getting away from police is easier, you can give up to the police, or trick them in giving up. Another cool thing I liked is when high jacking a car, when they try to get back in and you drive off, they hold onto the car, which means... they drag along with it.

I'm still excited about the game, only I'm disapointed in controls and the handbrake, brake and corner handling. Thats my rant :)

P.S... Online play is boring atm... lol because noone is online yet!

Edited by MichaelS

Yeah, I have been hearing more complaints that praise from people that got the game early...I personaly have to stop reading all the bad points being posted about the game because it might lower my expectations of what I thought it to be, but reading the official reviews make me happy :). Hearing alot of comments really helps out too because I know what to really expect now and not all the hyped bs I have been hearing lately. That sucks to hear that the cars sustain less damage and car physics are not as good as hyped because that is suposed to be one of the new great improvements. Well, it is still all opinions until I get the game for myself, then I can compare my thoughts!

LESS damage? THAT SUCKS A$$!!! Im gettin the game tommorow and if you are right i will be very dissapointed....... I was expecting the BEST game EVER. Handbrake, i think thats pretty realistic that i swings you around becuase thats what would happen in real life if you pull it that hard on a high speed, i would not just drift nicely. Or maybe Niko sucks at driving... Lol. Still im pretty excited to play it for myself tommorow after school.

Because of the difference in time zones, it's already been released in Australia.

The damage depends on a lot of factors...what kind of car you're in, what you hit, where you hit it, how fast you're going, etc...

I actually heard that now cars take MORE damage from previous things i read because now the vehicle can be damaged from all angles or some sh*t like dat. I dunno since you guys are tellin me otherwise... I just will have to wait off... I won't be able to focus in school tommorow since im getting straight after school and i have 2 tests which i will probobly fail because of my huge hype.

Dude the cars can take a hell of a lot of damage. I mean unless you're smashing the engine itself into shit you can last a really long time. And as chris82 said, some cars, like sports cars for example, are generally pretty weak, but they make up for it in speed.

Yes the controls will get some taking used to. EVentually you'll probably find them easier than past games, try tapping the brakes or handbrake to help you round corners.

The Handbrake thing is realistic.

It depends of the car!

Ofcaurse it is and i dont get the people who think otherwise. In previous GTA games it was unrealistic that after tapping or holding the handbrakes cars drifted perfectly because in real life if you drive at a high speed and then on a sharp corner suddenly pull the handbrake, guess what... Your f*cked for real. It might be f*ckin hard to get used to but still its realistic.

Edited by Dr.Dbl-Gee

You DO know that using the handbreak to drift in real life isn't easy either right? It compleatly locks up the rear tires meaning that the car basically slides. It has to be done EXACTLY RIGHT unless you're driving slow (20-30 MPH).

And I like the "slow feeling" that cars have. In SA Vice City they drove like 400MPH! It makes driving so much more fun! It's more of a challenge! I love it!!!

LESS damage? THAT SUCKS A$$!!! Im gettin the game tommorow and if you are right i will be very dissapointed....... I was expecting the BEST game EVER. Handbrake, i think thats pretty realistic that i swings you around becuase thats what would happen in real life if you pull it that hard on a high speed, i would not just drift nicely. Or maybe Niko sucks at driving... Lol. Still im pretty excited to play it for myself tommorow after school.

Ahh but actually a car doesn't spin out of control when reeving the handbrake up... where do I have my source? Legal rallying and hooning the streets when I get my hands on mum and dads piece of poo of a car:D

Game play has improved alot, mainly because I got use to it, but I was very tired last night as well, lol. But yeah, good game, good missions, will be long to complete them all.

As for the comments of using your handbrake around the corner, its possible, it takes alot of practise. I found the easiest way to take corners is to stop acceleration, turn the OPPOSITE way of the corner, give full gas so the bum of the car flicks out, de-accelerate and then turn into the corner, give it lots of gas again and presto your around... its a good technique for the missions where you have to chase cars.

I did judge the game unfairly last night with only playing the game for a short while.

It's different but then the whole game is a bit different as well. I just see it as a bit of gaming evolution and there are always differences when that happens. New system, new capabilities, different programming to take all the new physics ect into account. It can't be easy to do what they've done here. There is so much in the game to be praised from a gamer's viewpoint. I'm willing to learn to deal with the few things that may not please me personally.

About the only thing I would love to see changed, and hopefully they will in a PC version, would be an increase in "clear" view distance. I think they've done a great thing with the painted look of the background as it blends into clarity much better than the old way where everything just sort of popped into view and anything beyond was a fog. But I wish the focused area extended out a few blocks at least. It's ok when I'm just walking around. I hardly notice then. But when driving I'm trying to look down the road ahead and it's like driving with blurred vision.

But the game over all is just amazing. I would absolutely give it a 10 just due to the incredible atmosphere of the city and all the little things they put in. I've spent a lot of time just walking around looking at things not really doing anything in particular and what I see everywhere I go just blows me away. So many small things that could easily be overlooked in a mad rush to complete missions. This game will definitely take me a very long time to complete.