PS3 Version Freezing

kspahr

My copy of Grand Theft Auto 4 is freezing about every 10 minutes, before you start criticizing me, this is real and known to be occuring to others just search GTA4 freezing on google.

The sound continues (i.e. radio/phonecall); however, all buttons on the PS3 are rendered inactive including the PS button, forcing a hard shutdown of the machine. This is had for me rendered the game unplayable, as I have now been doing the 2nd mission with the gambling/loan sharks 3 times and it continues to freeze.

Any suggestions etc. is appreciated.

Additionally I have played basically every game for the PS3 on my 60gb and never had one freeze, that would not respond to the PS button.

I have an 80gb ps3 so i hope it dosent happen with me. Mabie it had something to do with the upload you have to do before you play, mabie it go messed up or dident finish or something.

It seems that all over the world, the 60gb launch ps3 is the on mainly having the problem.

Edited by blindklb

Damnit, I have the 60GB version....it seems to be happening to me as well. :down:

Replying to myself...seems weird.

Just an update here, I changed some settings on my PS3 and game, and have been playing for almost an hour with no problems!

Here's what I did

Turned off system/switch off power

Disabled Internet

Disabled PS2 upscaling and smoothing

Deleted a few demos, game saves, game data

Started game, disabled autosave and rumble.

So far, so good.....

EDIT: Game ran fine for the rest of the night until I turned it off at 11pm, about 4 and a half hours of gameplay with no problems. Hopefully it continues to run properly tomorrow.

Edited by badgerov

The people without freezing problems are lucky pricks. Ive heard on the us.playstation.com forums that that there is a HIGH LIKELIHOOD that if the game freezes and you continue to play it, your PS3 will stop reading all disks. Right now COD4 keeps quitting without me using the PS button and I just restarted the console and if the problem keeps happening and I have to send my PS3 back, I'm going to be pissed off. I don't have the receipt for the PS3 and why the hell should I pay for faulty hardware caused by faulty software? All I should need is the box and an address to have them ship a non-crappy piece of hardware to.

I do hope that the assholes that drove around with their GTA4s hanging out of their windows suffer from the freezing problem too. They are the ones that deserve it, not me when I had to ride my bike in 40 degree weather in the rain and find out I cant pick my game up at a GameStop because it isn't where I prepaid the game at and have to go to one that is 15 miles away 6 hours later after glancing at the strategy guide and pretending I had the game.

I tried to call the rockstar support line and it was busy and I hope those assholes give me money back for a faulty game and if I have to return the disc, I think I'm going to quit buying GTA games. Actually I should quit buying PS3 games. $60 bucks for a god damn cd that doesn't even work right. Every game Ive bought for the PS3 hasn't worked correctly and needed a patch for it or a patch was introduced that made the game suck balls except for NFS: Carbon because it doesn't have any patches. I remember Sega Genesis games costing $30 and PS games running $40. Now the games cost $60 and need to be patched AND YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR MAP PACKS! WHAT THE HELL? Bitch you should GIVE me the map pack so I wont lose interest in your crappy ass game and quit charging $10 for it. The Playstation Store is all about how far they can shove a blue penis up your ass and get money out of you.

Then they have crappy controllers where the analog sticks stick and my character moves without me wanting it to and I cant aim because the stick is screwed. The controllers cost $40 so basically I lose a game when I get a controller to allow me to play a game without cheap ass made in China controllers making my aim drift. And then I purchase a GTA4 strategy guide for $21 when gamestop.com has it listed for $13. What the hell? Now not only is there a blue penis up my ass, but a red and white one as well. They are jamming my ass full of penis and I'm running out of room for more. Please tell me if I'm wrong or not.

The 40GB PS3's are the ones which aren't freezing. I have a 120gb (upgraded from a 40) and have had no troubles. You need to turn off your PS2 upscaling. Even though your not playing a PS2 game, the CPU and GPU is still running it, causing the system to run lower than usual. GTA4 is a BIG game, its needs all the CPU and GPU usage it can get. My friend had the same problem, I told him to turn it off and he hasn't had a problem yet.

The 40GB PS3's are the ones which aren't freezing. I have a 120gb (upgraded from a 40) and have had no troubles. You need to turn off your PS2 upscaling. Even though your not playing a PS2 game, the CPU and GPU is still running it, causing the system to run lower than usual. GTA4 is a BIG game, its needs all the CPU and GPU usage it can get. My friend had the same problem, I told him to turn it off and he hasn't had a problem yet.

Really? This could be the problem... I mean GTA IV is a massive game and the city is practically living. So much is happening at once even though you might not notice it.

I knew the PS3 needed more RAM!

Oh well I just hope I can get mine to work when I get it.

Well I just returned my GTA4 to GameShit and the fucking game still freezes. I thought it was fixed when I was able to drive around for 10 minutes and start collecting shit but then it freezes when I was about to go save. Now when I play it the fucker freezes in 2 minutes or less. I cant even do any missions! I cant even fucking save a car! I cant even fucking do anything! This is bullshit man. I'm going to delete and reinstall the game data and see if it was a bad ISO disc image and see if the game works.