But Is It Fun?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Throwing personal insults out in an argument over the internet? good one..

what's that smell? Smells like, victory.

You told me I suck and can't play the game. I believe you started the insults but I guess your right. Victory is your's

Doesn't change the fact that driving in GTA4 sucks compared to SA or VC.

Hm, you guys who say you keep crashing your car, you just might not be very good at it, after the first few hours of playing, I barely crash anymore.

I play it like I played and beat Forza 2 and all the Gran Tourismos.

I'm not bad at game driving.

The traction is still bullshit. The tires arent made out of plastic.

Edited by tilly

Alright, neutral corners. Enough w/ the flaming, that's not the point of this topic.

As someone w/ kids older than most of you, I'd love to have a good seat & watch the first time you get behind the

wheel of a real car. I've driven real cars comparable to the ones in the game & the physics are closer than ever.

One thing I noticed NOT mentioned, the AIs now try yo avoid you in traffic, like blasting down the middle of the road

& even the cops swerve out of the way.

Finally, Chris82 is right. LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE YOU CROSS THE STREET! :thumbsup:

Satan - "You're back, what happened?

Little Nikky - "There was a light w/ lots of metal on it!"

Satan - "That's a train, son. Don't stand in front of them."

Woah, seem to have touched a nerve there!

we are NOT anti-GTA, but this is a forum and everyone has the right to voice an opinion, that's what makes the big boys sit up and take notice and see what needs improving for future releases. The 1st installation on the latest consoles was always going to be a tester and to make it noticably different from San Andreas, there obviously had to be a few tweaks to the system.

Some are great, some not so. The handling is an issue and so is the lighting. Other improvements/tweaks are a matter of opinion (Police system etc).

I have given this game a full days play now and whilst some areas are growing on me, the handling is not. I can make more corners now, but speed needs to be slow and handbrake is far too delicate and as for real-life, cars do not handle like that, they are far too slippery. For missions I tend to use the in-car view which seems to handle better? but pointless finding that super car as you only see the bonnet.

As for fun, the game still knocks the competition into touch. Fact. But I tend not to want to just drive around the city as before and I don't think there is one mission that I have wanted to replay. But again this just an opinion.

I don't know if this is metioned before in this topic, but all cars handle differently. If you drive a minivan and then drive a sportscar you will notice the big different. Of course we all have to accept that not everyone likes the handling in the game. There is nothing we can do about that. I played IV for first time I had real trouble handling the car, I found out that it's only a matter of right use of handbrake and slow speed. I can't handle sharp turns in high speed now, days after I got the game, I have to slow down in most corners. But for me it doesn't ruin the gameplay, but it's different from person to person and we have to accept that.

Here's my point I'm trying to get across, the ONLY reason somebody would not like the driving system, is because they suck at it.

Of course they are not going to admit this, and will say they want it to be boring and easy like previous GTA's, but that is of course not the case.

Heres an issue with acceleration, deceleration, and understeer. I was in a banshee on a free way when an about 20 degree turn came. I let of the gas and then started to turn left. The understeer was amazingly wrong. I hardly turned at all, and I still lost traction. I turned more and the car started to drift and it finally caught traction. Its like things are backwards.

And by the way, some cars drive very realisticly. The older cars drive great and have awesome suspension. The only minus is the loss of traction, the cambers for some reason in all cars being really negative, and gravity being a bit low. If they only changed those three things I think the game would be fine, along with tightening the springs and struts on certain cars and giving the really sporty cars coilovers.

WOW THUG! Holy ninja. These are tiny problems with the game. They dont even compare to how amazing and fun the game is. These things could easily be modified by a few script changes if on the computer. Imagine all the things that COULD be wrong with this game that aren't. This is like, what? 3 bad things? Thats like not buying an Xbox because it is white.

Fun? What is the point? the cars look amazing, but can you keep them, No! bring back the garage as a method of storing cars, I had two vehicles that I liked, one got nicked whilst I was there saving the game, the other went whilst I was away on a mission. This sucks as it was always the best thing about GTA, storing that special hard to get car. GGRR!

Plus where are the driving schools? planes? Taxi missions? mod shops? Import/exports? or extras of any kind? I looked through the guide to see if I was missing anything and nope, that's yer lot. Main story missions and that's it. So basically once you have finished story mode it's time to trade it in because it has very little replay value.

I know there are a lot of die-hard fans out there but come face it apart from the cosmetics it has moved backwards, surely?

Well they did say already that there was extra content coming at least for the Xbox 360. I think I saw somewhere that there will be something for the PS3 as well.

I just finished GTA SA a couple of weeks ago for the first time. GTA IV is certainly different and that's how I take it. I didn't have expectations for it to be like GTA SA or Vice City or any of the other GTA games. It looks different, it plays different. They had already announced in the pre-release interviews that it was going to be different so I didn't have any specific expectations except that it looked awesome on the trailers.

After playing for a few hours I love GTA IV. I like to let games stand on their own even if they are part of a series. I can see why the die hard GTA fans are disappointed by certain things especially after the hugely expansive SA. That was a huge game with a lot of extra stuff to do. I would have loved it if GTA IV could be that big and still have the vastly improved graphics and all but I doubt they had the time or room on the disk to do all that. Besides it's different. Who wants exactly the same thing over and over. Been there done that you know? It would be really borning if GTA IV was exactly the same as SA except with improved graphics. I'd much prefer new content. However I do agree that they should have kept in some of the side missions like cabs, police, firetruck ect. That stuff was pretty fun to do.

Overall though GTA IV is awesome so far. I'm having a lot of fun just walking around exploring the city and getting in fist fights with peds.

Fun? What is the point? the cars look amazing, but can you keep them, No! bring back the garage as a method of storing cars, I had two vehicles that I liked, one got nicked whilst I was there saving the game, the other went whilst I was away on a mission. This sucks as it was always the best thing about GTA, storing that special hard to get car. GGRR!

Plus where are the driving schools? planes? Taxi missions? mod shops? Import/exports? or extras of any kind? I looked through the guide to see if I was missing anything and nope, that's yer lot. Main story missions and that's it. So basically once you have finished story mode it's time to trade it in because it has very little replay value.

I know there are a lot of die-hard fans out there but come face it apart from the cosmetics it has moved backwards, surely?

Who cares about keeping them? I'd rather play the field and steal a bunch of different cars.

I'm sorry but people who think a game sucks because of the price are obvious morons. I'm rather picky when it comes to games so believe me when I say this game is worth it.

I decided to register here after reading a lot of the complaints in this thread. First of all, I'm by far not a GTA conniseur - I never played GTA 3, but I did play Vice City.

As far as the gameplay, the driving took a little while to get used to, but I'm able to handle most corners with ease. It is how you use the handbrake and the regular brake in combination. In order to take a 90 degree turn at a high rate of speed, you hit the handbrake, and as soon as you start to skid you have to let go of the handbrake and immediately hit the regular brake while not turning the wheels after the initial turn/handbrake. I usually will hold both the regular brake and the gas down at that point, so as soon as I get the car around the corner and release the regular brake, the engine is gunning and gets me going.

Driving in the game is also very dependant on the car you are driving. If you tend to hit objects, cars, etc a lot, then you need to drive a SUV or truck. In SUVs and trucks, and larger vehicles, you can hit vehicles/objects and be hit and will not be spun around as easily (especially at high speeds) as in a smaller vehicle. The calvalcade, once you learn to handle it, is a great vehicle. It handles well, has a nice top speed, acceleration is kinda slow, but you can smash into most objects head on or slightly sideways and not get spun all over the place.

So, if you are having problems driving, experiment with using the handbrake and regular brake in combination. Also, learn how different vehicles handle in the game, they all have distinct properties that make them different than pretty much every other vehicle you can use. I personally prefer the Cavalcade as my general use vehicle.

As for darkness, I can't comment. I'm running GTA4 on a PS3, connected to a 52' 1080P HD TV via HDMI. I haven't noticed any problems with darkness, the game looks incredible.

Also, I'm really enjoying the storyline and the twists and turns it takes. I haven't come close to beating the game yet, but I've been enjoying it very much. All in all, I recommend purchasing GTA4 if you have a Xbox360 or PS3.

yeah driving the cars is easy, i just drive a bit more like i do in real life. the shooting is better, the graphics are better, the missions are ok, i'm still not decided if the missions are better than gta III (i enjoyed story missions on that game the most) the map is the best gta map so far, and overall yes i would say it is alot more fun. However at first i did miss the wacky gta feel, after playing i realised it was still there, it just had a face-lift.

Edit* for darkness i also notice no problems, playing on a peice of crap telly from the 90's (don't judge me) on 360 console, if you really cant see try using brightness settings on your telly too or play in the dark.

Edited by Zodiac

After playing the game for a good 8 hours since my last post, I have become quite used to the driving. I find it very manageable when you are in First Person mode, or looking through the windshield. This helped me immensely and I am taking turns just fine. As for the brightness, I know some people have posted they are using 1080P HDMI connection (so am I) but I still found it helpful to use the in game settings to increase the brightness and touch up the contrast. Game looks great, feels great.

Hello every one my first post here but I just needed to clear up some apparently missed details.

Vigilante missions, get into cop car check out the computer, Taxi missions call Ramond for a job, Import/Export check e-mail's from Brucie.

hope this helps I havn't tried to figure out fire or paramedic missions yet but I am sure everything is still there just in more logical places.

And on a personal note I have had no problems with the car handling I do feel it is a huge improvement (honest) plus I play on an old 27" sony crt and it still looks killer......

take care

Wow. I sure aint getting this game. What is it like 50 bucks? No thanks Ill stick to low graphic chaos causing Vice City

If the reason is that you can't afford thats to bad, but woah you are missing out on a lot. GTA IV will be the best game of the year by a landslide.

''very little replay value. :wtf: I play GTA III still and love it.

The driving takes a while to get used to and I admit I have sort of got the hang of it for general driving around (as long as you don't use a super car or muscle car). But, my concern is, this may be fine for the here and now but what happens when Rockstar release a future episode which may include driving school tests etc! (Those cone dodging and street dodging ones gonna be tough to say the least).

As for the general 'stuff to do', I turned my mission phone off and just looked around, there really is not a lot to do. Every district looks the same and there are no side stuff to do, no schools or emergency missions, dirtring/sanchez missions. There really is nothing after the missions to do except drive around.

Why do the police not have bikes? this really is Liberty City! but saddest of all, drive to the airports and the Liberty City of old returns. You can see various planes but they are just for show and that frustrates especially after the freedom of San Andreas. Two types of helicopter and that's it. The water too, you cannot dive beneath the surface, are these restrictions really necessary after the amount of time and effort spent on it?

Let's just hope the next installment really is a game upgrade rather than a cosmetic upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
As for the general 'stuff to do', I turned my mission phone off and just looked around, there really is not a lot to do. Every district looks the same and there are no side stuff to do, no schools or emergency missions, dirtring/sanchez missions. There really is nothing after the missions to do except drive around.

No side stuff to do?

What about...

Little Jacob's drug missions?

Most Wanted missions (10 on each island)?

Brucie's import/export car missions?

Assassination missions? (If you're that far)

Stevie's car theft missions (30 all up)?

The 200 flying rats?

The unqiue jumps?

Roman's taxi missions? (Only available until a certain point in the game)

The car races?

Random character missions?

There's alot of stuff to do, you just have to look for it.

Edited by MiamiViceCity

The game is a dissapointment.I'ma gta junkie and i was sick of this one in 2 weeks.I'd recommend renting it first.To sum it up this game is like a really hot chick who you get tired of dealing with in a few weeks. because there is really not a whole lot beneath the surface.

yeah the handling really got me mad but i kindof got used to it but i can drift really good with banshees and some other better sports cars another thing is if theyve been working on this game for 5 or 6 years shouldnt their be more missions this game was way to quick to beat and i dont tink the city was close to the size of san andreas at all