Emotional Connection to Characters

You guys might think this is a stange thing, but whenever I play a game that has a long and amazing storyline with characters I can relate to or enjoy playing with, I get alittle emotional when one ends up dying or killed. Examples would be like when you have to

choose to kill Dwayne or Playboy X, choose to kill Francis or Derrick (though that was an easy one), or choose to take revenge or deal except someone will die no matter what you choose. I would sit there for like ten minutes going through what the character was like before making these desicions. I would think like "Well, he is trying to better himself" or "he already suffered enough" before proceeding. These were (for me) the hardest parts of the game.

I dont know why, but things like this always make me go crazy when playing a game. Did anyone ever have a hard time doing this or ever feel emotionaly connected to a character (in a "I don't want him to die" kind of way).

Edited by XxGreatScythexX

i never get emotional in games, but seeing a dying character is kinda sad, because i always want to make things "happy" like an ending that all good characters are alive... but its just a game, you can restart it so the dead guy will be alive again, infact none of them is actually alive :P

I got a bit sad when some characthers died. Like

when Roman dies in his wedding

that was a bit hard to swollow, even though I knew it was gonna happen because I accidently read it on the forum. GTA IV is one of those game where you like all the characther, and the storyline changes through the game so it's hard to decide sometimes.

that was a bit hard to swollow, even though I knew it was gonna happen because I accidently read it on the forum. GTA IV is one of those game where you like all the characther, and the storyline changes through the game so it's hard to decide sometimes.

Yes, that's funny about the IV storyline ending,

you kind of end up screwed either way, because if you take the deal which Roman wants and Kate doesn't then you get the money but Roman dies and Kate hates you, whereas if you take the revenge, Kate dies and Roman is disappointed. I took the revenge because I hated Dimitri and he had to die, plus the post-storyline GTA4 would suck if Roman were dead and I didn't give a fuck about Kate, frigid bitch that she was.

Also

with Playboy X and Dwayne, I saved the game luckily right beforehand and killed Dwayne and saw that was the bad choice, so I went back and killed Playboy and got the new apartment and exclusive GTA3 outfit so that was good. And I obviously didn't kill Francis because of what he gives you (you can call him to get rid of wanted level)

I played both endings. The one where

roman dies sucks really bad. I mean he is your cousin. The one where Kate dies also sucked but was not nearly as bad.

I found dates on the internet. Now im dating Kiki and Carmen. They are much nicer anyway. And Carmen always lets you fuck her. Now i got over it, cuz of all that fucking.

Yes, that's funny about the IV storyline ending,

you kind of end up screwed either way, because if you take the deal which Roman wants and Kate doesn't then you get the money but Roman dies and Kate hates you, whereas if you take the revenge, Kate dies and Roman is disappointed. I took the revenge because I hated Dimitri and he had to die, plus the post-storyline GTA4 would suck if Roman were dead and I didn't give a fuck about Kate, frigid bitch that she was.

Also

with Playboy X and Dwayne, I saved the game luckily right beforehand and killed Dwayne and saw that was the bad choice, so I went back and killed Playboy and got the new apartment and exclusive GTA3 outfit so that was good. And I obviously didn't kill Francis because of what he gives you (you can call him to get rid of wanted level)

Where's the exclusive GTA3 outift? :o And I killed Francis cause he kinda pissed me off and same reason for Playboy X but I read the advantages for that one. Also does Derrick even give you an advantage? I did both endings for the game as well, I like revenge a lot better because Dimitri was a douchebag and it's more satisfying because Roman doesn't die which kinda ruins the game for me in the "Deal" decision.

lol well i haven't even played it but i did spoil it for me (to much pressure)but i would choose on my personal thoughts about who deserves it

Ha, same with me.

I personally think if there was only one ending and it involved

Roman getting killed

, then my thoughts about GTA IV's storyline would go down the hill. When and if a PC version comes out,

Dimitri is getting killed as soon as possible. Roman was in Liberty City for 15 years and to see that come to an end when Niko comes is really stupid

I thought I would just post this strange thing that happened to me today instead of making a new topic about it since we are on the topic of character deaths here...but DO NOT READ THE SPOILER BELOW UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN THE GAME...

When I was just doing some post-storymode gameplay to get some achievements I missed when I was doing storymode (aka...hidden packages, stunts, etc), when I get a call from an unknown caller. I am thinking here "wait the story mode is over and I should not be getting anymore of these calls..." I answer the phone and it was Kate starting off her hellos with her usual "I though you were dead" greetings. What is Kate doing alive! I picked the Revenge ending and she should be dead...but here I am getting a call from her. She asked me to go hang out with her and I agreed. It was the usual time you would have with Kate and I took her home like nothing new happened at all...but the weird part is that she is supposed to be dead!!! I have not gotten a call from her since, it was a very strange thing that happened and it ain't a lie. I was already sad that she died, but having her come back to life one last time was ridiculous...It was weird too because she was no longer on my contacts so she came up as an unknown caller...

what do you guys think this was?

Edited by XxGreatScythexX

I take these kinds of games to heart for some reason so I do have an emotional connection with them, even when Vlad made me kill that guy and you chose to help him up or kick him down, I accidentally pressed the button to kill him and I wanted to restart my game because of it.