Driving in GTA IV

Do you really think that after playing and adjusting yourself to the new type of gameplay, the driving still sucked? I mean this game revolves around driving, and who cares if its more realistic.. It's a video game, driving should be fun and not as challenging.. I mean driving should be specialized on a game that only revolves around a car, like Grand Turismo etc.. I read around in the forums when people say ohh its more realistic, but a game is an element that is used to divert you and make you have fun, if its a pain then wheres the fun ? Catch me? w.Also. does GTA 4 have a system like in SA where you increase your driving skills?.. Anyways.. your opinions :)

Edited by Hello I'm a Ghost

the driving was too realistic

i used to love car chases and they were way too hard in this game cuz they fucking downgraded the driving so much

Don't sit there and say it's downgraded. It's improved... That isn't a downgrade. That's an upgrade. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a downgrade.

I can hold my own in a police chase still. And as annoying as it is, blowing/stalling/overheating/whatever your engine is hilarious as fuck.

It's very easy when you get the handle of it. I know people says that "It's a game, it shouldn't be hard to drive". Somehow I agree, but what's the point then? A game is supposed to be challenging, not that easy. Even though Rockstar improved the driving, they didn't make it bad. They wanted to make the game more challenging, and they did.

This was initially in another post but worth stating here...

I find the driving to be fine, it is just MUCH more precise and less forgiving than previous titles.

One has to remember, atleast on the 360 (not sure about the PS3), that the the gas and the brake are incrementally sensitive. For example, you can't jam the throttle, speed a hundred yards and then lock up the brakes and try to turn. This wouldn't work in a real vehicle and doesn't in GTA IV.

The friction used to brake cannot be used to turn and vice versa, just like in a real vehicle.

I do it like this.....

Speed to a a turn, brake hard without locking up prior, release brakes and find your apex and negotiate the turn, then accelerate out. Again, don't jam down the throttle, or the wheels will spin.

Yeah, the driving sucks, if you're a ham-handed 12 year old with no finesse.

This was initially in another post but worth stating here...

I find the driving to be fine, it is just MUCH more precise and less forgiving than previous titles.

One has to remember, atleast on the 360 (not sure about the PS3), that the the gas and the brake are incrementally sensitive. For example, you can't jam the throttle, speed a hundred yards and then lock up the brakes and try to turn. This wouldn't work in a real vehicle and doesn't in GTA IV.

The friction used to brake cannot be used to turn and vice versa, just like in a real vehicle.

I do it like this.....

Speed to a a turn, brake hard without locking up prior, release brakes and find your apex and negotiate the turn, then accelerate out. Again, don't jam down the throttle, or the wheels will spin.

It's always nice to see new members make smart posts, I completely agree with you.

I think the driving is great, makes it much more funner and challenging in cop chases. Also it's always fun while still trying to drive in a lane while looking behind you and trying to shoot the trailing copper in his car in the head, I love doing that!

My only complaint is that the cars seem to have springs but no shocks. They bounce and sway too much. This is especially true with any of the taller vehicles. The handling however is way more realistic and more challenging. The triggers allow you to actually throttle up slowly and as someone already said you'll get wheel spin if you just squeeze the trigger all the way down as you slide through a corner. It just takes practice.

I do feel quite often that the AI car seems to have handling advantages. When I"m chasing an AI controlled car it seems to take corners and switch directions with ease and can often be nearly impossible to keep up with.

This is truth.

IMO the only people bashing this games driving is kids who have never driven a real car, or a fast one at least.

it is better alot better. And to people who cant perform handbrake turns you do realise you only use the handbrake (like in real life) to "pop" yourself into the slide after that it's acceleration and steering (or normal brakes if you miss judge it and need to re adjust in an emergency). The police chases are ALOT better, to people who say crashing annoys them i found i had more crashes on the other games with cops coming at you left right and center who seem to be using super warp technology you wernt allowed to use. i'd much rather mess up in a crash through fault in my driving than because of annoying spawns. At first i sucked at the driving (as i tried to drive like in the previous games) but after a few hours i felt i had got the hang of it. Since then i wouldnt have said i'd mastered it but am very good at it. Finally to people who dislike the aspects of the game and especially to those who go on like it's torture quite frankly: DONT PLAY THE BLOODY GAME AND STOP MOANING.

Do you really think that after playing and adjusting yourself to the new type of gameplay, the driving still sucked? I mean this game revolves around driving, and who cares if its more realistic.. It's a video game, driving should be fun and not as challenging.. I mean driving should be specialized on a game that only revolves around a car, like Grand Turismo etc.. I read around in the forums when people say ohh its more realistic, but a game is an element that is used to divert you and make you have fun, if its a pain then wheres the fun ? Catch me? w.Also. does GTA 4 have a system like in SA where you increase your driving skills?.. Anyways.. your opinions :)

I found the driving better in this game. It's realistic so it challenges you. Maybe you just suck at driving...

THE DRIVING IS JUST FINE. I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WHEN I WAS USING THE OVERHEAD VIEW BEACAUSE THE CAMERA KINDA SWAYED AROUND AND TRIED TO AUTOMATICALLY ADJUST. I DIDN'T LIKE THIS FEATURE AND I KNOW USE THE 1ST PERSON MODE WHILE DRIVING. NOW IT IS LIKE TRULY BEING IN A CARE. ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. GETTING AWAY FROM THE COPS EVEN WITH 3 STARS IS POSSIBLE WITHOUT WRECKING YOUR CAR. IF ANY OF THESE DOUBTS PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T BOUGHT THE GAME YET ARE EXPERIENCING ARE IN ANYWAY RELATED TO PREVIOUS POSTS, I REALLY WANT TO SAY THAT ONCE YOU ARE ACCUSTOMED TO THE DRIVING - SHIT IS AWESOME. GO BUY THE FUCKEN GAME RIGHT NOW

THE DRIVING IS JUST FINE. I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WHEN I WAS USING THE OVERHEAD VIEW BEACAUSE THE CAMERA KINDA SWAYED AROUND AND TRIED TO AUTOMATICALLY ADJUST. I DIDN'T LIKE THIS FEATURE AND I KNOW USE THE 1ST PERSON MODE WHILE DRIVING. NOW IT IS LIKE TRULY BEING IN A CARE. ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. GETTING AWAY FROM THE COPS EVEN WITH 3 STARS IS POSSIBLE WITHOUT WRECKING YOUR CAR. IF ANY OF THESE DOUBTS PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T BOUGHT THE GAME YET ARE EXPERIENCING ARE IN ANYWAY RELATED TO PREVIOUS POSTS, I REALLY WANT TO SAY THAT ONCE YOU ARE ACCUSTOMED TO THE DRIVING - SHIT IS AWESOME. GO BUY THE FUCKEN GAME RIGHT NOW

Why are you YELLING? :pissed:

i used to love car chases and they were way too hard in this game cuz they fucking downgraded the driving so much

Don't sit there and say it's downgraded. It's improved... That isn't a downgrade. That's an upgrade. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a downgrade.

I can hold my own in a police chase still. And as annoying as it is, blowing/stalling/overheating/whatever your engine is hilarious as fuck.

improved?

its more realistic sure

but i think thats a bad thing considering gta is based on driving, and most people find it hard as hell to drive

Honestly in previous titles like: gta3, vice city and san andreas, o always messed all my cars every time i got a hand on i car i crashed it;

and in GTA4 , since i have the game i have only crashed like 4 times, the handling on the car is awesome.

Its called "skill".

Some people have it, others dont and some bitch about the game being bad which is bullshit.

TRUE :yup: . I have really never played a game on a console before. In fact this is my first time with playing a game on a console and the driving is simple and enjoyable. Rockstar didn't mess it up. Its not too realistic exeptt that I will usually get three stars for shooting a cop and a civillian, but its mad easy evading them. Great game like always, R* keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by totalaccessGTA

improved?

its more realistic sure

but i think thats a bad thing considering gta is based on driving, and most people find it hard as hell to drive

Wait, more challenging driving is BAD on a game based on DRIVING? How? Are you saying football games need weaker slower characters who can only move in four directions((left, right, forward, backward))? And, you'll notice, that most people are loving the driving. The few I see who don't, as stated, probably haven't had control of a vehicle outside of GTA and don't know how to properly handle one. Seriously, the challenge((if approached correctly, unlike what you are doing)) will improve your skills in video games over all. Stop. Bitching.