The reason as to why people would think GTA IV is a let down.

Your views  

8 members have voted

1. 1. To those thinking this game was disappointing would you reconsider after reading what I had to say?

• Yes
    • No

Guys, its obvious, we as a part of this community are all mostly used to the Generic classic GTA layout - GTA 3 being the first of its kind, in 3D form, wasnt very much different than GTA VC and SA, graphically speaking. Since most of the people are used to a specific layout, pattern or whatever you may call it, a sudden change of gameplay and realism can shift ones views about the game.

The truth on most part is that most people that say GTA IV was a disappointement, are just suffering a shock, because they didn't get what they expected; If you analyse the situation you can clearly view that if someone is expecting something and don't get what they expect is in no other words, a disappointement. People tend to over dramatize. On my part, if it really matters to you all, think that since this is not what I expected is a good thing. If GTA came back with the same old contexts, and gameplay people would say " Oh its GTA we've seen this before its not surprising " Not to say it's a bad game but were too used to what we've seen in my opinion.

My conclusion is that with the arrival of a new platform (PS3 aswell as 360) GTA needed to redeem its own image towards its customers by implementing something that we haven't seen before, and to me this was the best thing they could have done. I went as far as buying a PS3 to play this game, and I do not regret one penny I've spent: This game is amazing, and we need to appreciate what has been given to us.

Steve.

I still really have no clue exactly what all the complainers are disappointed for really. And yes, I WOULD have been disappointed if it was classic GTA style like all the previous games - I like it but it's getting seriously old now, the series needed something new and got it, now they can build on it for the next (?) games.

If GTA came back with the same old contexts, and gameplay people would say " Oh its GTA we've seen this before its not surprising "

Have a cookie. Never thought about it, but yeah, nice way of putting it.

It's true though, yeah dressing up CJ was amazing, tattos haircuts pimping rides taxi missions, are gone, I admit, but this is a new begining. You can't expect something new to be perfect. Next game they will produce I'm sure would be released for PS3 and am sure will make it almost close to perfect.

I agree with you. The people that was disappointed was used to the old GTA graphic and gameplay and then it suddenly change. I must say I didn't like the old gameplay to much but it was a lot more better when thinking about stunt jumps etc. But Rockstar had to take the game to the next level, and they did it in one of the most perfect ways.

Well I already knew that. That's why I don't like it as much as San Andreas. It takes too many things out and the graphics just look too real IMO. It just gets boring looking at a dark gritty screen. I like pretty colours and light. Ahh... Pretty.... Keeps me entertained more than playing the game itself!

SA graphics where cartoonish IMO which is good. I can quite happily Family Guy without getting bored all because of the cartoony thing going on. Don't ask why... Maybe i'm just weird or maybe it's some sort of human blah biddy boo. God I hate not knowing what i'm talking about...

Anyway I'm still dissapointed with 'GTA' 4... But i'm happy with this as a game which isn't in the GTA name. I call it 'The American Dream'... What a crappy name...

Well I already knew that. That's why I don't like it as much as San Andreas. It takes too many things out and the graphics just look too real IMO. It just gets boring looking at a dark gritty screen. I like pretty colours and light. Ahh... Pretty.... Keeps me entertained more than playing the game itself!

SA graphics where cartoonish IMO which is good. I can quite happily Family Guy without getting bored all because of the cartoony thing going on. Don't ask why... Maybe i'm just weird or maybe it's some sort of human blah biddy boo. God I hate not knowing what i'm talking about...

Anyway I'm still dissapointed with 'GTA' 4... But i'm happy with this as a game which isn't in the GTA name. I call it 'The American Dream'... What a crappy name...

Have you played GTA IV?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is pretty old, but I would like to post.

I agree. I think the sudden change has shaken up alot of people. I loved the old style aswell, but I would seriously have questioned R* as to why they played it safe, and not try something different, if it was the same old cartoonish GTA from before.

Alot of people might not like the change now, but I have a feeling as time goes on they'll more than likely accept it.

For example, you talking about GTA IV not having too many pretty light effects.

It's not fucking true.

You talkin to me? Coz I never said anything about pathetic effects. In fact, I don't give a fk about graphics. It's gameplay that I care about and a tiny bit of realism (Simple things like being able to shoot through a fence make me enjoy the game that bit more)

I agree. I think the sudden change has shaken up alot of people. I loved the old style aswell, but I would seriously have questioned R* as to why they played it safe, and not try something different, if it was the same old cartoonish GTA from before.

Alot of people might not like the change now, but I have a feeling as time goes on they'll more than likely accept it.

I agree to some point. It's not the change that gets me, it's the fact that the changes get in the way of the things I love about GTA. R* are just another company that are trying to make a profit although now I kinda think they are more about profit than the actual game then I did before GTA IV was released. I used to think that as well as making a profit, they were trying to make a game that everyone thinks is just a classic.

I don't like the change now and I never will as I liked the old way for a reason. It's not really the change though either. They can keep it this way, I have nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect me to pay £50 for it and play it often. I'll stick with the GTA that I know and love. San Andreas 4 Life, FO' LIFE!

Edited by Deji