JT guilty of professional misconduct

Gerard

jt_th.jpgJack Thompson, the Floridian lawyer who has launched several misguided attacks against video games, has been recommended as guilty on 27 counts of professional misconduct by a Bar trial judge.

21 counts are against his attacks on GTA games, and a further 4 from his attempt to get Bully declared as a public nuisance. The Florida Supreme Court must now make a ruling on whether he is guilty

JT has repeatedly attacked publishers Take Two for the supposedly inappropriate content of GTA games, and for them being apparently sold and "pushed" to children.

After considering the arguments presented by the Florida Bar and the Respondent (Thompson), observing the Respondent's demeanor during the nine-day trial proceedings, and carefully reviewing the record consisting of four volumes of exhibits totaling 1700 pages and approximately 2400 pages of transcribed testimony, the Court finds that the facts, circumstances and evidence presented regarding the Respondent's conduct, supports a finding of guilt as to certain Florida Bar rules...

The Bar trial judge, Dava Tunis, found the violent video game activist guilty of misconduct such as "Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation." The state Supreme Court will have to make a ruling based on those recommendations, with a disciplinary hearing planned for the first week of June.

However, Thompson also has filed federal lawsuits against the Florida Bar and Florida Supreme Court in relation to the Bar charges and other sanctions.

More at GamePolitics, plus a humorous comic from CAD

• 6 months later...

Well, I do think its abit comical and ironic that first, he decides that vid games are tools of evil & destruction ... Yet what has more weight, first, doing things that yea for underage children is inappropriate content (hence reason for ratings) that is all done it a totally virtual & ficticious world or being charged for doing things in the REAL WORLD like he has

""Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation." "

Granted some things go overboard in games, IMO, like tig ol bitties and asp.. And really gorey, sickening things like something you'd see in silent hill w/ extreme deformed and twisted part human part WTF ?? creatures ... Very suggestive material and profanity that is normally reserved for adult audiences that can even go overboard ..

Otherwise, I like doing things in these virtual worlds that I wouldnt in real life. Sure in the game it loox/sounds funny runnin your vehicle into persons but never in real life, I've never ran anyone over in all my yrs on this earth & had hmm one accident that wasnt even my fault. No trouble, no jail time, no juvie time, no drugs/alch, NOTHIN, I do my damage in a virtual world ! :P