Game voice actors underpaid?

Gerard

Michael Hollick, who provided the voice of Niko Bellic in GTA IV has complained that he doesn't earn any royalties on the game. Even though Rockstar has made more than $600 million in sales, Hollick earns nothing beyond the original $100k he was paid.

If this was television, film or radio, Hollick and the other actors involved would have made millions by now through royalties, even through getting only a tiny cut of the profits.

I don't blame Rockstar. I blame our union for not having the agreements in place to protect the creative people who drive the sales of these games. Yes, the technology is important, but it's the human performances within them that people really connect to, and I hope actors will get more respect for the work they do within those technologies.

Is it time for video game actors to be treated the same as other actors? Or should they just be paid one-off for the work they do? Let us know what you think in our forums.

Wow. That's pretty bad. Especially considering the fact the gameplay was dissapointing, the best parts were probably the sound. Rockstar earnt so much of this, I think they should hand out extra money as a thank you at least. Still $100 K is quite a bit and he did get to help make the biggest game in history (Sales wise)

In a job that destroyed my right shoulder, both wrists, & was constantly exposed to dangerous conditions I made about

$24k a year. I also had 2 years out of work, got screwed on my workman's comp settlement & never got the treatment

for my shoulder or wrists. I got lucky & found a state contracting deal, but I'm still having a hard time feeling sorry for

him.

He should try that for a while. Or he can enjoy the easy money & the doors opened by his stint as Niko.

As far as we know, Hollick only voiced Niko for one game. Main character or not, it was only for one job. Now if he was providing the voice of the main character of very popular TV series that will spawn a few movies and videogames, then I might see him getting royalties.

Edited by L-RiC

That is awful. The man should receive royaltys for the work provided as Niko. He deserves much more money than he received. I think video game actors should be payed the same as actors. Same Job. Animation films have actors, these actors make millions of animated films. A video game is the same as an animated movie when it comes to actors.