The GTA IV engine

I don't know if some of you have already heard this, but some Russian modder from the GTAForums managed to extract data from the RAGE archives. I know that it doesn't seem to be something that could be called legal, but I ROFL'd when I read this thread:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=341654

The guy, under the alias GooD-NTS, recalled seeing a bunch of unencrypted data - PNG images, XMLs and some file format that I'm yet to know... Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: The file carcols.dat is still there, by the way... :lolbounce:

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

Not quite, unless you modify the console itself which is illegal and can get you banned from Xbox Live/PS3 Network, but it means that when the PC version is (hopefully) released, mods can start being made almost instantly.

Yeah, but even if you can't mod the console versions legally, at least it will allow modders of GTA3-era games to use content from IV...

Yeah, but even if you can't mod the console versions legally, at least it will allow modders of GTA3-era games to use content from IV...

That's assuming the file types in GTA4 are compatible to earlier GTAs, But I'd love to have some of the new cars

converted to SA, Especially the Comet.

I'd also love to add a parachute to GTA4, Liberty just cries for base jumping. Get a 'chute for Get-A-Life. :coolthumbup:

That's assuming the file types in GTA4 are compatible to earlier GTAs, But I'd love to have some of the new cars

converted to SA, Especially the Comet.

I'd also love to add a parachute to GTA4, Liberty just cries for base jumping. Get a 'chute for Get-A-Life. :coolthumbup:

Well, it ain't compatible, judging from the use of Renderware in earlier GTAs, but I guess if some guy managed to write export filters for Zmodeler or 3DS Max, than that would be sweet...