The Random Post Topic V2.0

JustADummy

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was wandering around the jungle, surrounded by beasts, insects and Chris Crocker, when I happened to see this young Mexican girl, she was wearing a red dress, and she was torturing Hazer on a barbecue, and around the barbecue I saw hungry Aztecs waiting for some human flesh.

So I decided I was going to save Hazer so that I could poke fun at him later on.

Continue?

"Oh please don't cut my balls off! I promise not to molest more dogs anymore!" Hazer wailed.

"No! Your soul is coming with me! And I promised the Aztec folk some testicles to eat." Lucifer said with an evil smile.

So I jumped in and punched the girl, but she grabbed my arm and tossed me some 9000 miles away, and thus ends the storay of how Hazer died.

Teh End!

Alyx is a skilled hacker adept at infiltrating Combine computer systems and reprogramming them. If hacking is not possible, she possesses a multitool that uses an electric charge in order to bypass security systems, open locked doors, and re-program rollermines and automated turrets to attack humanoid and alien enemies. She is also very proficient with an automatic pistol, a shotgun, a sniper rifle, and in unarmed combat. She fights alongside Gordon Freeman briefly during both the Entanglement and Anticitizen One chapters of Half-Life 2. In Episode One and Episode Two, Alyx accompanies the player for most of the game and demonstrates fighting skills previously unseen, such as kicking a headcrab zombie in a fight.

Despite Alyx's "friendly nature", she shows some hostility towards Dr. Judith Mossman due to her somewhat patronizing attitude, as well as Mossman's apparent interest in her father. The hostility abates at the end of Half-Life 2, when Dr. Mossman helps Alyx in escaping the Citadel. She also holds Breen responsible for her mother's death (when she was captured, Breen tried to threaten Eli with Alyx' life by saying "Do you let your stubbornness doom our entire race, or...[places his hand on Alyx' face] would you give your child the chance her mother never had?" Alyx responded by spitting in Breen's face and said "How dare you even mention her?!").

Alyx also has a good sense of humor evidenced by the jokes she makes about the Combine or Gordon's silence. An example of this can be seen in the Lowlife chapter of Episode One, when she begins to make noises like a zombie to scare the player. Upon being found out, she says "haha, gotcha." After the player destroys the auto-gun in the scrapyard in the Under the Radar chapter of Episode Two, Alyx can sometimes (depending on the player's actions) be heard calling out "Hey, boyfriend!" to get Gordon's attention (this is an apparent reference to earlier in the chapter when an NPC can be overheard asking Alyx if Gordon is her boyfriend). Whether this sense of humor survives the events of Episode Two remains to be seen in Episode Three.

In much of the Half-Life series, Freeman wears a special full-body hazard suit, known as the HEV suit, HEV standing for Hazardous Environment. The HEV suit was designed by Doctor Gina Cross, one of the main protagonists in Half-Life: Decay. Freeman wears the Mark IV suit in Half-Life, then donning the upgraded Mark V suit in Half-Life 2. Cross was said to have tested a Mark V prototype before the events of the resonance cascade, but it is unknown if this is related to the Mark V suit in Half-Life 2. Designed to protect the user from radiation, energy discharges, and blunt trauma during the handling of hazardous materials, the HEV suit is what allows Gordon, an ordinary human being, to survive the dangers and injuries he faces over the course of his struggles.

The HEV Mark IV suit worn by Freeman in Half-Life has a built-in flashlight, oxygen supply, Geiger counter, morphine administrator (which allows Gordon to function normally even after serious injury), anti-toxin delivery system, an optional long-jumping module which allows jumps over large distances, a radio, many tracking devices, and a heads-up display (HUD) which tracks health status and weapon ammunition usage, as well as including a weapons management system. The suit contains an on-board computer system that constantly monitors the user's health and vital signs, and reacts to any changes in the user's condition. Additionally, the suit features "high impact reactive armor", an electrically powered armor system that can be charged by power modules throughout Black Mesa. While charged, the suit provides greater protection from injury as the charge absorbs more than two-thirds of any damage or trauma experienced by the wearer. With a fully charged suit, Freeman can survive several dozen bullets of small arms fire or even a direct hit from a rocket propelled grenade. The suit also features an optional helmet, as seen on various HEV-enclosed corpses dotted around Xen, mainly at the ruined research camp seen in Blue Shift. Freeman dons the suit at the beginning of the first game, and is allowed to keep it at the end of the game by the G-Man. It has been debated on countless forums as to whether Gordon's HEV suit has a helmet as he is usually depicted without one yet is able to survive in hazardous environments, which would otherwise require its use. The exact technology behind the suit is unknown, although several fanfictions ponder over the possibility that it is based on nanotechnology.

The HEV suit is not exclusive to Freeman. Many can be seen worn by slain Black Mesa research members on Xen. Two additional (empty) HEV storage units are seen near the start of the game in Sector C, which are said to have been used by the main protagonists of Decay, Gina Cross and Colette Green. The suits also evidently come in different colors. Although many, including Gordon's and ones belonging to the corpses seen on Xen, are orange, Gina wears a tan suit, while Colette wears a maroon suit.

In Half-Life 2, despite being allowed to keep it in the previous game, Freeman starts without the suit. After a visit to Dr. Isaac Kleiner, his former professor, Freeman receives an upgraded version of the HEV suit, referred to as a Mark V version. New features include a visual zooming capability, limited enhanced running (sprint) capability, an injector to administer antidote for poison headcrab or snake venom, an optional ammo and health counter on the crosshair (enabled by the player in the game's "Mouse" options), and the capability to use Combine power nodes to charge the suit. This design feature would have an unexpected effect later on in the game, when the suit appears to be infused with "Dark Energy" from a Combine weapon confiscation field, allowing the suit to store twice as much energy as normal. This powered version of his suit remains intact for the start of Half-Life 2: Episode One but the suit returns to its natural state when the player leaves the Citadel. This evidence suggests that, like the Dark Energy gravity gun, the effects wear off after the stabilization of the citadel core. Unlike the Mark IV, the Mark V uses only one auxiliary power source for flashlight, sprinting and oxygen supply; in addition, the long-jumping module is no longer a feature.

In Episode One, during a situation where the player must guide Alyx by using the flashlight in combat due to the lack of other light sources, Alyx mentions that "Dr. Kleiner really needs to fix that flashlight battery". In Episode Two, the flashlight has now its own power supply independent of sprinting or oxygen supply. It was explained in the game commentary that the flashlight "broke" because of the force of explosion and somehow gained its own power supply at the end of Episode 1.

HEV energy chargers in Half-Life have the trademark symbol added after the HEV letters, which suggests that the chargers, HEV suit, or both, are produced by a non-government company. An Easter egg in Half-Life 2, however, reveals an old cover of an HEV charger lacking the trademark logo.[7]

It has been speculated that the HEV suit, despite its name, was not intended simply for protection in hazardous environments and was in fact designed with combat in mind — perhaps intended as a combat exoskeleton for defense contractors. Black Mesa may have been, after all, a military installation and the Powered Combat Vest worn by the player in Opposing Force apparently uses the same technology (it also is able to replenish its power from Black Mesa chargers). The suit also possesses the capability to track weapons in hand, along with their ammunition. These features may be explained by the visits many Black Mesa personnel made to the border world of Xen which contains many dangerous and hostile forms of life.

The symbol on Gordon's HEV suit is the lower case Greek letter Lambda, λ. This symbol is used by scientists to denote the decay constant of radioactive elements (related to the half-life of an element). As well as appearing on Gordon's suit, the symbol replaces the letter "a" in the game title, Hλlf-Life, and is the name of the complex in the Black Mesa Research Facility where teleportation experiments are conducted. The Lambda symbol is also seen in Half-Life 2 as a marking of the human resistance, seen close to hidden supplies and on the arm bands of better equipped resistance fighters.