I have a couple of questions before I change my IP Address

-.- It DOESN'T contain any virus. You're starting a program. I'm just asking. If its not compatible with NETGEAR and if I start the application of changing IP's, then my internet connection could have problems. Could shut down my router. Effect it really bad.

P.S. Sorry for not replying back earlier. I was looking up JabbaWockeeZ on www.youtube.com

Because I just want to.

Why? If we're giving you help you can give us a reason. If you did something illegal and you're afraid of being tracked down then just changing your IP will not lower your ISP's ability to find you.

Dude, your IP will change if you reset (restart) your router.

Unplug the power cable, leave it out for 5 minutes, then put it back in. The connection will validate, and then attempt to establish a connection to the router, then CONNECTED! Done, IP changed... ^_^

Depends on the router, he should power cycle his actual modem too, to change both the external and internal addresses.

Because I just want to.

Why? If we're giving you help you can give us a reason. If you did something illegal and you're afraid of being tracked down then just changing your IP will not lower your ISP's ability to find you.

Agreed. If you did something, such as abusively downloading from Rapidshare or from BitTorrent, then it's a no-no...

Because I just want to.

Dude, your IP will change if you reset (restart) your router.

Unplug the power cable, leave it out for 5 minutes, then put it back in. The connection will validate, and then attempt to establish a connection to the router, then CONNECTED! Done, IP changed... ^_^

Depends on the router, he should power cycle his actual modem too, to change both the external and internal addresses.

Or there's that :)

1. Why is this in Serious Chat?

2. Why did you link to a downloadable file that, although free of viruses, is far too small to be any kind of video?

3. I'm assuming the tutorial leads you to use the ipconfig /release and /renew commands, which should work regardless of your hardware.

I dont know if they work for me for two reasons:

I use a router (built into my modem):

2.jpg

I am using Windows Vista.

I think I would have to release the IP on the router, renewing the IP on the computer probably just does the local IP for that machine...

Psh, illegality and IP addresses? People are too paranoid. I've been mass-downloading random shit for years. If they thought that a threat or a problem, I would've been in prison years ago. And trust me, I do have shit to hide.

My IP address use to reset if I turned off my modem. Funny, I use to do it to get back into these very forums.

Psh, illegality and IP addresses? People are too paranoid. I've been mass-downloading random shit for years. If they thought that a threat or a problem, I would've been in prison years ago. And trust me, I do have shit to hide.

My IP address use to reset if I turned off my modem. Funny, I use to do it to get back into these very forums.

What are you pirating stuff?

If you change your IP and they do wanna find you, can they obtain your new IP from your old one, or is that IP not tied to you anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

thats if he has static IP, which i think mostly you dont have.

if you powercycle your modem it will probably change ip address, but dont expect that your isp will not know it was you downloading it as theres probably something that shows the MAC address of your modem (fixed hardware code) to what IP address thats been used.

true because they (probably) know your cable modem / adsl modem's MAC address, or they have some way of telling what MAC address is using / used what IP

like i said earlier...lol