Prank Results in Half-Assed "Confirmation" of GTA IV for PC

gtaivpc2.jpg

Not sure what to make of this. Bullshit radar says "proof of nothing" because there's no reason for tech support to be looped in on a game in development. That said, two guys worked up an extremely patient, social engineering prank that had 2K Games support believing, or at least suspicious of the possibility of a hacked Grand Theft Auto IV demo on pirate sites. And in the back-and-forth, it turned up this reply from tech support:

"The PC version of GTA IV has not even been announced for release and is still in development so is not about to be released on a website."

The entire conversation is very long and almost takes on the scope of a 419 baiter thread. But they do provide screenshots (granted, those can be faked too.)

Basically, these two guys concoct a detailed tech support problem with a free demo of Grand Theft Auto IV, and see if Take 2 will bite. Of course, they do, but only to a point. After getting that little nugget above which they're convinced was copypasted from some higher-up's response to befuddled tech support they get another tech who is less fun and a little more circumspect about their claims.

While the last message does say, "We are unsure when the PC version of the game will be released," that does not mean, "We are sure it will be coming out, just not when." I am likewise unsure of when I'll win the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes.

ComputerandVideoGames.net reported rumors back in April that a PC GTA IV was due out in October, citing European retailers. That didn't bring a denial from Rockstar UK, just "no comment." So unless and until Rockstar wants to lay the rumor smash, this remains rumor only. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but you never know.

How We Pranked Rockstar [blog, thanks reader Matt]

Source: Kotaku

PS: Sorry for double posting

Edited by Mark_D

You'll notice how old this is, and that NO fansites posted.

1. It's just rumour and whoever the guys are they look like they're just trying to get famous in the community

2. Customer support don't know jack shit about what games are in development and their current status

3. If the emails aren't faked the chances are the support guy was just guessing

4. Most people are already assuming that R* is making the game anyway and just don't care.

That seemed to be popular opinion anyway. You all agree?

• 2 weeks later...