Help with restoring the game

ravenmorpheus

Hi there

I've recently started playing GTA SA again and I have a save with over 12hrs of gameplay that I am hoping to be able to use...

I'm new to modding GTA SA and I decided after playing it for a bit to go about finding all the real life counterparts of the cars in the game and replacing them so they look more like the real life ones, i.e. better as well as renaming the names ingame so they're the real ones, and I thought I'd add in a couple of novelty ones as well...

But I've run into a problem. I accidentally forgot to backup my gta3.img file and now it has a modded Los Santos police car, a 1989 Batmobile (which doesn't work btw so please don't ask me for it - I got it to spawn and drove away and then the game crashed to desktop on me...) replacing the Hotring Racer B and a 2005 Batman Begins Batmobile replacing the Rhino - the original models are not there anymore.

And now when I go to load up my save game or even start a new game the game won't get past loading the game, it just crashes to desktop as soon as it's about to give me control...

I've replaced the handling.cfg and vehicles.ide with the originals (I made a backup of those at least) but the problem is still there.

I've been using SAMI to install the cars I've installed, I've removed all the mods and none are showing in SAMI. The GGMM shows the models for the police car and the 2 batmobiles so that's how I know they've replaced the original models...

Is there anyway short of a clean install to solve this issue?

Anyway I would really appreciated any help/advice as I'm just starting to play GTA SA for a second time after getting bored with it on the PS2 - it's so much better having modded cars that look like the ones the game is supposed to have and I could really do with not losing the save I have. :)

Edited by ravenmorpheus

just go to the folder C:\program files\rockstar games\gta san andreas and delete the entire folder.

then reinstall

dont worry about your savegames, they are stored in my documents > gta san andreas user files

it doesnt matter if u reinstall since your savegames are stored in my documents folder.

Ok thanks, I'll delete the installation folder (which isn't on C drive) and just reinstall it...

Wish I could get the Batmobile to work, I had it spawning but as soon as I got to where the cirle part of Grove St. ends and becomes a normal road it crashed the game to the desktop, and since then I've not been able to get the game working, don't know whether it's because I overwrote the vehicle.ide and handling.cfg with the originals and left the models I mentioned in my op in the gta3.img file or not though...

Is there anyway to get GTA SA to generate a log file to tell you why a car crashes the game?

BTW - I've attached the files I found (the batmobile1989.zip mod looks the best imo but I couldn't get it to spawn (probably because it's for GTA3)) if anyone would be kind enough to have a look I'd appreciate it. :)

Batmobile_1989_AUTOMAN.zip

batmobile1989.zip

Edited by ravenmorpheus

Why does the Batmobile1989.zip look better and its for GTA3 and the one SanAn (if it is) looks like, well... crap? I didn't know I wanted a batmobile, but now I do, if only we could get that Batmobile1989.zip for SanAn, also wouldn't mind the newest Batmobile. Of course the handling and speed would have to match that of the movie, but have the strength of a tank to be fun to play.

Edited by smstevenms

Why does the Batmobile1989.zip look better and its for GTA3 and the one SanAn (if it is) looks like, well... crap? I'd didn't I wanted a batmobile, but now I do, if only we could get that Batmobile1989.zip for SanAn, also wouldn't mind the newest Batmobile. Of course the handling and speed would have to match that of the movie, but have the strength of a tank to be fun to play.

The newest Batmobile has already been done for SA, just search for Tumbler Batmobile. Personally I think the new one is rubbish looking. I much prefer the 1989 one.

Anyway I've got to reinstall the game before I can start to try to get the 89 Batmobile working...

Why does the Batmobile1989.zip look better and its for GTA3 and the one SanAn (if it is) looks like, well... crap? I'd didn't I wanted a batmobile, but now I do, if only we could get that Batmobile1989.zip for SanAn, also wouldn't mind the newest Batmobile. Of course the handling and speed would have to match that of the movie, but have the strength of a tank to be fun to play.

The newest Batmobile has already been done for SA, just search for Tumbler Batmobile. Personally I think the new one is rubbish looking. I much prefer the 1989 one.

Anyway I've got to reinstall the game before I can start to try to get the 89 Batmobile working...

Sorry for the double post but I thought I'd mention that I did a clean install so I have two copies of the game, copied over the data and models folders of the fresh install to the broken one, then added the .dff and .txd into gta3.img using the img tool and the Batmobile now works. Looks great but the windscreen has patches that aren't see through and the rear wheels look too far out of the bodywork.

Dunno what the problem was now...

I agree and disagree. The 89 version looks the best but doesn't seem like it would truely be functional as needed, and the Tumbler seems tough and nimble for it's size and weight.

Sorry for the double post but I thought I'd mention that I did a clean install so I have two copies of the game, copied over the data and models folders of the fresh install to the broken one, then added the .dff and .txd into gta3.img using the img tool and the Batmobile now works. Looks great but the windscreen has patches that aren't see through and the rear wheels look too far out of the bodywork.

I think this has a bit to do with the texturing, contact the designer/modder.

I agree and disagree. The 89 version looks the best but doesn't seem like it would truely be functional as needed, and the Tumbler seems tough and nimble for it's size and weight.

I think this has a bit to do with the texturing, contact the designer/modder.

Nah, I think I'll leave that one, it's a bit sub-standard compared to the one I've just found - the one from the Gotham City Mod Demo, it looks much better, quite a few more details imo and the windscreen isn't borked. Had to amend the shinyness and I can't find where the black texture or the windscreen textures are (they're not in the txd anyway) but it looks much better, plus I can put nitro on it :cool: