Skateboarding

I'd enjoy writing a paragraph or two about the board, but I'd enjoy more just sending you a link to all the questions you need..... answered. :D

Oh and sorry man, I've never even heard of tailbones. :/ What are they for? To not have your tail not get razor-tailed?

Thanks for that link. :thumbsup:

Yeah, a tailbone just protects the tail of your board. I use my tail to stop 90% of the time and it's totally shredded. I'll need a tailbone for my new board(s).

No problem dude, that site makes the board sound a lot more sweeter than I could of anyway. :P

Hmmm, have you tried Ebay or Craigslist? Cuz I have no idea where to get them. Quick question though, does it make it tougher for you to grind or anything? How heavy are they?

I don't think they're too heavy. I heard they actually give the board a better pop. Since I don't have one I can't really give much information about them. They're just supposed to protect your tail from grinding off.

Hmmm, odd. Wonder why it gives better pop. Anywho, found any yet? I found a couple here scattered through out that page, not too sure if that's what you're looking for though cuz some of those are like 8-11 inches long lol. My boards are 7.5 - 7.7's usually. :P

I think that site only sells pink ones.

I think they make them that long because there are boards that wide. You could just shave it down if it's too big for your board.

Yeah, judging from some of the brands I could tell these were one's from the 70s and 80's so that might be why they're so wide. One's that aren't only pink.

Yeah, lots for long boards and such used in the 70s and 80s...which I'm thinking about buying.

I think those are "nosebones" for the front of your board. They won't really help the tail from grinding down. Maybe for a little while, but I don't want to have to buy one every 2 or 3 weeks.

Yeah, judging from some of the brands I could tell these were one's from the 70s and 80's so that might be why they're so wide. One's that aren't only pink.

Yeah, lots for long boards and such used in the 70s and 80s...which I'm thinking about buying.

I think those are "nosebones" for the front of your board. They won't really help the tail from grinding down. Maybe for a little while, but I don't want to have to buy one every 2 or 3 weeks.

Yeah, my friend just gave me a vintage board like the ones the Zephyr team and people back then used. Think they're called sidewalk surfboards or something....

Ah, my bad. Didn't realize they wouldn't help as much until now. Hope you can find some decent tailbones eventually.

Yeah, my friend just gave me a vintage board like the ones the Zephyr team and people back then used. Think they're called sidewalk surfboards or something....

Ah, my bad. Didn't realize they wouldn't help as much until now. Hope you can find some decent tailbones eventually.

Do you use that board at all? Are you able to do any tricks on it?

I might get a nosebone as well though, so thanks for showing me that. I haven't been looking for them as hard as I've been for tailbones.

I'm hoping I could find them in a skate shop some where.

Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted here. I got bored of skateboarding and stopped, aaaah the good 'ol days...

Just before I stopped I had learn to bluntslide (kind-of) and it's a great trick, looks great too and it's easier than I thought.

Hope you guys have improved since then!

Edited by Mpilk901

• 4 weeks later...
I'd enjoy writing a paragraph or two about the board, but I'd enjoy more just sending you a link to all the questions you need..... answered. :D

Oh and sorry man, I've never even heard of tailbones. :/ What are they for? To not have your tail not get razor-tailed?

Yeah, a tailbone just protects the tail of your board. I use my tail to stop 90% of the time and it's totally shredded. I'll need a tailbone for my new board(s).

Maybe you should learn to stop without giving your board razor tail :whistle:

Yeah, weather has been shit around here too.

I would if I could do power slides, but the board I have now doesn't have the best wheels for it...plus my balance isn't perfect.

I've just been skateboarding in my basement because the weather is shit. I can't wait until it gets nicer out. I'd be happy with 45 degree weather at this point.

I'm still trying to pick between an Alien Workshop board or Rodney Mullen's "Uber light" Almost board. The Almost board dropped from being $110 to $70...so I might get that.

Does anyone here have any kind of experience with putting skateboards together? If so, how hard is it to do? I'd assume it's not that difficult, but any kind tips would be great.

EDIT:

IDEA!!! For those of us that skate, we should post pictures of some skate spots that we go to. I guess non-skaters could post some pictures too if you find a spot with a potential line. I'll probably get to this when the weather gets a little nicer...although I do have some videos that I haven't put together yet...hmmm <_<

Edited by Harwood Butcher

I would if I could do power slides, but the board I have now doesn't have the best wheels for it...plus my balance isn't perfect.

I've just been skateboarding in my basement because the weather is shit. I can't wait until it gets nicer out. I'd be happy with 45 degree weather at this point.

I'm still trying to pick between an Alien Workshop board or Rodney Mullen's "Uber light" Almost board. The Almost board dropped from being $110 to $70...so I might get that.

Does anyone here have any kind of experience with putting skateboards together? If so, how hard is it to do? I'd assume it's not that difficult, but any kind tips would be great.

EDIT:

IDEA!!! For those of us that skate, we should post pictures of some skate spots that we go to. I guess non-skaters could post some pictures too if you find a spot with a potential line. I'll probably get to this when the weather gets a little nicer...although I do have some videos that I haven't put together yet...hmmm <_<

Powersliding isn't a great way to stop, you'll just flat spot your wheels. A better way to stop is to let the heel of your back foot hang off your tail, and use that to slow you down so you don't get razor tail. I prefer to slide one foot on the ground until I slow down enough, but that's just me.

Grip your board, put bearings in your wheels, screw the wheels to your trucks, bolt the trucks to your board. There's not much to it. :cheers:

Yeah, I'm with sallpancake. I just dip my the nose of my back foot on the ground to slow down if I'm gonig pretty quick. Taking pictures of fun skate spots sounds cool I'll have to take a couple in the next couple of weeks.

@ HB - Yeah making a complete isn't difficult at all, well, gripping your board might take a little experience but other than that it's easy. Just go to a local skateshop for instructions if you need any.

EDIT:

Powersliding isn't a great way to stop, you'll just flat spot your wheels. A better way to stop is to let the heel of your back foot hang off your tail, and use that to slow you down so you don't get razor tail. I prefer to slide one foot on the ground until I slow down enough, but that's just me.

If your wheels wear out from power slides then you'd have to be doing power slides a shit load or the wheels are just shit to begin with.

If I use my shoes to stop then I'll wear them out. They would wear out a lot faster than wheels would from power slides. Which brings me back to tailbones. It's the best financial way to go.

Grip your board, put bearings in your wheels, screw the wheels to your trucks, bolt the trucks to your board. There's not much to it. :cheers:

So should I put it together in that order?

EDIT: Didn't see your post Nate.

Yeah, I'm with sallpancake. I just dip my the nose of my back foot on the ground to slow down if I'm gonig pretty quick. Taking pictures of fun skate spots sounds cool I'll have to take a couple in the next couple of weeks.

@ HB - Yeah making a complete isn't difficult at all, well, gripping your board might take a little experience but other than that it's easy. Just go to a local skateshop for instructions if you need any.

That's sort of the problem. There really aren't any skate shops close by. I was gonna just have Skate America do it, but it's very expensive to have them do it.

The grip tape is, in simple terms, just a huge sand paper sticker...right? Do I just lay it on the board as best as I can and cut the last bit off?

EDIT: I just found this video. I've never seen this done before.

Edited by Harwood Butcher

If your wheels wear out from power slides then you'd have to be doing power slides a shit load or the wheels are just shit to begin with.

If I use my shoes to stop then I'll wear them out. They would wear out a lot faster than wheels would from power slides. Which brings me back to tailbones. It's the best financial way to go.

If you're doing power slides on a rough surface, your wheels will get flat spots very fast, believe me.

Your shoe will be fine. :)

So should I put it together in that order?

You could put the trucks on before the wheels, but you need to grip your board first...if you bolt on the trucks then grip the board you'll cover up the bolts, and that's just silly.

The grip tape is, in simple terms, just a huge sand paper sticker...right? Do I just lay it on the board as best as I can and cut the last bit off?

Yeah, it's basically just a sticker with sandpaper on it. You can't just slap the griptape on the board though, you'll get bubbles just like you would with any sticker. When applying grip I always line up the grip and start from one end of the board and slowly work my way to the other side, making sure there are no bubbles. You'll need a razor to cut away the extra grip.

Vid:

If you're doing power slides on a rough surface, your wheels will get flat spots very fast, believe me.

Your shoe will be fine. :)

...I've already ruined three pairs of shoes from doing shit like that. Like I said before, buying tailbones is the best financial way to go.

Yeah, it's basically just a sticker with sandpaper on it. You can't just slap the griptape on the board though, you'll get bubbles just like you would with any sticker. When applying grip I always line up the grip and start from one end of the board and slowly work my way to the other side, making sure there are no bubbles. You'll need a razor to cut away the extra grip.

Vid:

Ok, thanks. That video was pretty helpful. :thumbsup:

I don't skate, but I sometimes watch skateboarding videos from the X-Games and the like. On a serious note, condolences to one of the skateboarding lads out there, James Street, the former voice actor for the Strawberry Shortcake series, who died last year due to a skateboarding accident... May Almighty God bless him and his family...

How do you possibly relate just about every topic to Strawberry Shortcake?

I use to skate. Still have a board or two((have to find one, it's a LibTech fiberglass board)).

...I've already ruined three pairs of shoes from doing shit like that. Like I said before, buying tailbones is the best financial way to go.

Skateboarding will shred your shoes, it's a fact. Get over it! Tailbones may save your tail, but it will only prevent you from progressing, trust me it will get in the way.

But hey if you want to slap something on your tail it may as well be a tail devil spark plate. :hurrhurr: I'm not trying to be an ass, but really... don't bother with the tailbones.

Skateboarding will shred your shoes, it's a fact. Get over it! Tailbones may save your tail, but it will only prevent you from progressing, trust me it will get in the way.

But hey if you want to slap something on your tail it may as well be a tail devil spark plate. :hurrhurr: I'm not trying to be an ass, but really... don't bother with the tailbones.

Wow, you're not trying to be an ass? You fooled me. :hurrhurr: (I jokes)

All of the stuff I've read about tailbones said that they actually help the pop of the board.

How else could shoes get shredded?

"tail devil spark plate" :lolbounce:

Wow, you're not trying to be an ass? You fooled me. :hurrhurr: (I jokes)

All of the stuff I've read about tailbones said that they actually help the pop of the board.

How else could shoes get shredded?

"tail devil spark plate" :lolbounce:

The grip tape. That shit is designed for your shoes to grip to it... Purposely sliding your shoe against it tears your shoes up. That's why most modern shoes designed for skating now have these plastic/rubber pieces around the toe area, where you usually slide for kickflips.