Skateboarding

The grip tape. That shit is designed for your shoes to grip to it... Purposely sliding your shoe against it tears your shoes up. That's why most modern shoes designed for skating now have these plastic/rubber pieces around the toe area, where you usually slide for kickflips.

I'm talking about the sole of my shoes because they're suggesting that I use the back of my heel to stop. Whenever I do kickflips my shoelaces usually start wearing out, not so much the toe area of the shoe.

I would if I could do power slides, but the board I have now doesn't have the best wheels for it...plus my balance isn't perfect.

I've just been skateboarding in my basement because the weather is shit. I can't wait until it gets nicer out. I'd be happy with 45 degree weather at this point.

I'm still trying to pick between an Alien Workshop board or Rodney Mullen's "Uber light" Almost board. The Almost board dropped from being $110 to $70...so I might get that.

Does anyone here have any kind of experience with putting skateboards together? If so, how hard is it to do? I'd assume it's not that difficult, but any kind tips would be great.

EDIT:

IDEA!!! For those of us that skate, we should post pictures of some skate spots that we go to. I guess non-skaters could post some pictures too if you find a spot with a potential line. I'll probably get to this when the weather gets a little nicer...although I do have some videos that I haven't put together yet...hmmm <_<

Powersliding isn't a great way to stop, you'll just flat spot your wheels. A better way to stop is to let the heel of your back foot hang off your tail, and use that to slow you down so you don't get razor tail. I prefer to slide one foot on the ground until I slow down enough, but that's just me.

If your wheels wear out from power slides then you'd have to be doing power slides a shit load or the wheels are just shit to begin with.

If I use my shoes to stop then I'll wear them out. They would wear out a lot faster than wheels would from power slides. Which brings me back to tailbones. It's the best financial way to go.

Grip your board, put bearings in your wheels, screw the wheels to your trucks, bolt the trucks to your board. There's not much to it. :cheers:

So should I put it together in that order?

EDIT: Didn't see your post Nate.

Yeah, I'm with sallpancake. I just dip my the nose of my back foot on the ground to slow down if I'm gonig pretty quick. Taking pictures of fun skate spots sounds cool I'll have to take a couple in the next couple of weeks.

@ HB - Yeah making a complete isn't difficult at all, well, gripping your board might take a little experience but other than that it's easy. Just go to a local skateshop for instructions if you need any.

That's sort of the problem. There really aren't any skate shops close by. I was gonna just have Skate America do it, but it's very expensive to have them do it.

The grip tape is, in simple terms, just a huge sand paper sticker...right? Do I just lay it on the board as best as I can and cut the last bit off?

EDIT: I just found this video. I've never seen this done before.

this guy is sick check this out

The grip tape. That shit is designed for your shoes to grip to it... Purposely sliding your shoe against it tears your shoes up. That's why most modern shoes designed for skating now have these plastic/rubber pieces around the toe area, where you usually slide for kickflips.

I'm talking about the sole of my shoes because they're suggesting that I use the back of my heel to stop. Whenever I do kickflips my shoelaces usually start wearing out, not so much the toe area of the shoe.

Yeah, it helps to make sure your laces aren't in the way. But you can wear out your soles from rubbing against the grip tape, too. I repositioned my feet a lot before tricks((while riding, so no simple lifting my feet)), so that was a lot of rubbing. But hell, simply walking around day-to-day wears the soles of your shoes out, of course skating will((regardless of what you do)).

Yeah, it helps to make sure your laces aren't in the way. But you can wear out your soles from rubbing against the grip tape, too. I repositioned my feet a lot before tricks((while riding, so no simple lifting my feet)), so that was a lot of rubbing. But hell, simply walking around day-to-day wears the soles of your shoes out, of course skating will((regardless of what you do)).

Yeah, but the shoes get worn out a hell of a lot faster when you grind them on the ground while moving. When I was younger I flew down a hill, sitting on the board, and the sole of my shoe almost grinded all the way off. I'd rather pay $5 for a tailbone every 3 months than pay $20-$30 for a shoe every month.

Tailbones not only get in the way((the more space you have between the ground and your tail, the better)), but they look ridiculous. And then, furthermore, you have to make sure it's in the back everytime you step on your board((I always just threw it on the ground and went for it)). Just slam the tail down((with nothing on it)) to stop. Shit. Who cares? The deck will still last for years, and they're what, 50 dollars a piece? You'd end up paying the same amount as buying new tailbones, AND you usually have to buy a new board anyways.... So just save your money.

Tailbones not only get in the way((the more space you have between the ground and your tail, the better)), but they look ridiculous. And then, furthermore, you have to make sure it's in the back everytime you step on your board((I always just threw it on the ground and went for it)). Just slam the tail down((with nothing on it)) to stop. Shit. Who cares? The deck will still last for years, and they're what, 50 dollars a piece? You'd end up paying the same amount as buying new tailbones, AND you usually have to buy a new board anyways.... So just save your money.

Like I said before, all of the stuff I've read about tailbones is that they actually give you more of a pop. I barely used my one board and it wasn't long before the tail totally grinded off. Certain boards are $50, but the one I want to get is around $70 and it's on sale at the moment. If I have to buy a new skateboard every two years or a tailbone every 3 or 4 months then I'll pay $140+ on skateboards every two years or only $30 to $40 every two years on tailbones.

You know I'll just be the first one to come out and say it: tailbones = poser skateboarding gear. If you're passionate about skateboarding, you won't let your financial situation hold you back.

Nuff said.

LOL, do you really think I give a shit if people think I'm a "poser skateboarder"? I find it funny that part of your definition of a poser includes having a tailbone on your board. Apparently skills have nothing to do with your "skateboarder status" as long as you pull off the look.

I personally don't skateboard to have any particular image, I skateboard to have fun with my friends and I'd rather not spend a whole lot of money to do so.

Tailbones wouldn't give you more pop. That doesn't make sense. And a new tailbone every 3 months? Do remember that we aren't using one-sided boards anymore. So that's 2 tailbones every 3 months. That's 10 dollars, not 5.

10 x 4 = 40.

40 x 2 = 80.

That becomes 80 dollars every two years.

And if you're just doing it to have fun, and don't want to spend a lot of money on it, why not settle for a 60-70 dollar deck? Apparently decks have gone up in price in the past few years. However, 60 dollars is still better than 80, and that's if you go through a deck every two years((you can make them last if you absolutely have to)).

Tailbones wouldn't give you more pop. That doesn't make sense. And a new tailbone every 3 months? Do remember that we aren't using one-sided boards anymore. So that's 2 tailbones every 3 months. That's 10 dollars, not 5.

The tail of a skateboard is wider than the nose. So I wouldn't need to buy two tailbones. If I wanted to, I could by a tailbone and a nosebone, but that's not needed.

And if you're just doing it to have fun, and don't want to spend a lot of money on it, why not settle for a 60-70 dollar deck? Apparently decks have gone up in price in the past few years. However, 60 dollars is still better than 80, and that's if you go through a deck every two years((you can make them last if you absolutely have to)).

Yeah, I messed up the cost of a board every two years, but from what I just said, $30-$40 for tailbones or $70 for a skateboard.

I might be getting an "uber light" board and I'd much rather buy tailebones than a new board and new grip tape. I would have to re-build my board and I don't want to do that more than I'd have to. If using tailbones prevents that, which I think it will, then I'll do it that way...provided that I actually find some fucking tailbones in a store somewhere or online. I've had no luck yet.

Yeah, I'm doing this for fun, but the "uber light" board is constructed better and is almost impossible to snap, but the tail will still grind down. Again, this is better financially.

My boards have always been even the whole way through. Well, not necessarily, but the nose and tail have always been interchangeable on my decks. Are you saying you ALWAYS stand on the same side of the board?

EDIT: Also, I'm doubting the durability is worth it. I bought a 60 dollar Blind deck a few years ago((and by that, I mean it was like 4-5 years ago)). I still have this deck((haven't rode it in years)), and the hell I put it through. It had hardly any tail or nose anymore, I screwed the griptape all up, it isn't recognizable anymore as a brand, and it's got some huge cracks in it. It's been through storms, actual puddles, sand, thrown, tossed, slammed, etc.

My boards have always been even the whole way through. Well, not necessarily, but the nose and tail have always been interchangeable on my decks. Are you saying you ALWAYS stand on the same side of the board?

Yes I do. I started with a generic board and it had the word "Tattoo" on the grip tape. I got on the board so that when I looked down the word "Tattoo" wasn't upside down. Other than generic boards though, the tail is usually wider, which could be hard to determine some times. It's very obvious with my World Industries board.

EDIT: Also, I'm doubting the durability is worth it. I bought a 60 dollar Blind deck a few years ago((and by that, I mean it was like 4-5 years ago)). I still have this deck((haven't rode it in years)), and the hell I put it through. It had hardly any tail or nose anymore, I screwed the griptape all up, it isn't recognizable anymore as a brand, and it's got some huge cracks in it. It's been through storms, actual puddles, sand, thrown, tossed, slammed, etc.

Check out the Uber light board. It's constructed a lot better than the average board. (Nate turned me on to this one)

Harwood Butcher, having a razor tailed board isn't really the end of you skateboard, but even still, if you want the tailbone then shit. Get it. About the Uber Light, yeah it's nice but it still breaks. my favorite part is that the pop is amazing. Not the durability, which is yeah, better than other boards, but it's not by a lot.

They are getting to the point where board durability "advancements" are hardly even worth mentioning.

And about pop, my LibTech has amazing pop.

These are my two boards.

DSC01336.jpg

DSC01339.jpg

This is the one I put through hell. Notice the various colors, scratches, dings, chips, cracks, etc.

DSC01340.jpg

DSC01341.jpg

The bottom. It WAS once a Blind deck.

DSC01342.jpg

The bottom of the LibTech((this board was given to me))

DSC01343.jpg

Harwood Butcher, having a razor tailed board isn't really the end of you skateboard, but even still, if you want the tailbone then shit. Get it. About the Uber Light, yeah it's nice but it still breaks. my favorite part is that the pop is amazing. Not the durability, which is yeah, better than other boards, but it's not by a lot.

I don't care about a "razor tailed board", but mine grinded down...to no tail. No tail = no pop.

They are getting to the point where board durability "advancements" are hardly even worth mentioning.

And about pop, my LibTech has amazing pop.

These are my two boards.

DSC01336.jpg

Your boards look kind of fucked up. :lolbounce:

What happened to the trucks?

I'm with Nate on this one. If your tail is sanding down then it shouldn't really affect your skating. My board has been through hell and back but it still works.

Same goes with shoes, they can last for a long time no matter how bashed up they are. The laces should be your last concern, the thing you should be worried about most is your soles and the toe.

Tailbone's also blow. They destroy your pop and it takes longer to get airborn when doing tricks. Plus it is adding unecessary weight to the board. If you think you need one then you can't be treating your board right.

My skateboard's tail got to the point that when I ollied there would be pieces chipping off. These weren't small pieces either, grip tape and shit was coming off with it. My tail is jagged and really short.

You guys keep telling me all this shit like the boards and shoes last long...but then why the hell aren't mine? The only possibly reason is because of me stopping on my tail.

I'm with Nate on this one. If your tail is sanding down then it shouldn't really affect your skating. My board has been through hell and back but it still works.

Same goes with shoes, they can last for a long time no matter how bashed up they are. The laces should be your last concern, the thing you should be worried about most is your soles and the toe.

Tailbone's also blow. They destroy your pop and it takes longer to get airborn when doing tricks. Plus it is adding unecessary weight to the board. If you think you need one then you can't be treating your board right.

I never have said that having a razor-tailed board doesn't affect your skating. About shoes, laces can matter. You'd be surprised how many shoes I've seen fly while people skate becasue their laces are no more.

Your boards look kind of fucked up. :lolbounce:

What happened to the trucks?

The LibTech is still in good shape, but the Blind, like I said, went through Hell and back. And back again. I've busted the hell out of it. When I got angry I'd throw it, usually really high up, or slammed straight down.

And I only had one pair of trucks((the LibTech was given to me just like that)), and I've lost one of them.

My skateboard's tail got to the point that when I ollied there would be pieces chipping off. These weren't small pieces either, grip tape and shit was coming off with it. My tail is jagged and really short.

You guys keep telling me all this shit like the boards and shoes last long...but then why the hell aren't mine? The only possibly reason is because of me stopping on my tail.

I always stopped on my tail, and yeah, it grinded away.... But even in it's current state((which is worse than the pictures look)), I can still get it in the air. In fact, it's way lighter now! :thumbsup:

And I quit skating just because I did.... I mean.... I just kind of stopped.

LOL, do you really think I give a shit if people think I'm a "poser skateboarder"? I find it funny that part of your definition of a poser includes having a tailbone on your board. Apparently skills have nothing to do with your "skateboarder status" as long as you pull off the look.

I personally don't skateboard to have any particular image, I skateboard to have fun with my friends and I'd rather not spend a whole lot of money to do so.

What I'm trying to say is I've been skateboarding for 8+ years, been to countless skateparks and street spots, and yada yada yada...I have yet to see one Pro, Am, park rat, street skater, or even a poser use tailbones.

Why do you think nobody uses them? Do you think the majority of skateboarders are just illiterate? Nope. We don't need or want them, they only get in the way. If they work for you then great, go for it. :cheers:

But for kicks I'll ask Mike Maldonado what he thinks of tailbones. I'll let you know. :hurrhurr:

What I'm trying to say is I've been skateboarding for 8+ years, been to countless skateparks and street spots, and yada yada yada...I have yet to see one Pro, Am, park rat, street skater, or even a poser use tailbones.

Ok...then that means I'm not a poser.

Why do you think nobody uses them? Do you think the majority of skateboarders are just illiterate? Nope. We don't need or want them, they only get in the way. If they work for you then great, go for it. :cheers:

I don't go along with the crowd, I don't give a shit who uses them or how many people do use them.

But for kicks I'll ask Mike Maldonado what he thinks of tailbones. I'll let you know. :hurrhurr:

How many times do I have to tell you that I don't give a shit what people think?

Check out this bullshit.

Edited by Harwood Butcher

OGTAM, use a tailbone if you want I'm just saying what I think. I find them very unecessary and it will tone down your performance in skating. My board has pieces of grip coming of it yes and splints will occasionally break off. If it's bothering you so much put some tape over the edge of your board, just make sure you don't put it over the grip.

@Video: Stupid skaters.

OGTAM, use a tailbone if you want I'm just saying what I think. I find them very unecessary and it will tone down your performance in skating. My board has pieces of grip coming of it yes and splints will occasionally break off. If it's bothering you so much put some tape over the edge of your board, just make sure you don't put it over the grip.

@Video: Stupid skaters.

Bold: :o They didn't do anything though. That officer was actually put on probation for the shit he was doing and possibly fired.