Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

Really strange considering SA can run on full on a 9400 GT with better fps (probably the worse card for video games in existance)

and btw , when you say you can run Crysis on full on a 9600GT do you mean with or without AA?

i own a 9800GT and having lag with more than 2xAA on 1280x960 and high details.

ah ok. i dont know what res he is running, im pretty sure no aa, pretty much all things were set to high, a few on medium.

but his other specs are really good aswell (e8400 3ghz core2, 6gb ram ddr2,).

he has a 2nd 9600GT, but when we put it in, then vista started up, and then we click crysis and the whole thing just freezes and doesnt open anything = have to pull the plug :( any ideas? his power supply is a corsair HX620 (620W). i was thinking maybe not enough power to the video card? like on the +12V rail or whatever it is. he's running vista homepremium 64bit version.

Edited by WRX22B1998

Now that you told me a single core processor should work, tell me if these specs will even make the game playable. I already know it will be on low setting. Funny story I should mention, when GTA3 came out, I played it on an eMachine that had an 800mhz Celeron, 64mb RAM, and a 6MB integrated graphics card. If I could play a game like that, I could tolerate any game on Low settings, lol.

Here are my current computer specs. Can I at least play GTA4 on low with this:

Athlon XP 3000+ (Around 2.1 ghz I believe)

1GB RAM

MSI 6600GT (I think it has 128mb RAM)

Windows XP Home

And updating right now isn't really an option. So I have to make do with what I have right now and if it isn't enough then so be it.

Now that you told me a single core processor should work, tell me if these specs will even make the game playable. I already know it will be on low setting. Funny story I should mention, when GTA3 came out, I played it on an eMachine that had an 800mhz Celeron, 64mb RAM, and a 6MB integrated graphics card. If I could play a game like that, I could tolerate any game on Low settings, lol.

1GB RAM

Windows XP Home

And updating right now isn't really an option. So I have to make do with what I have right now and if it isn't enough then so be it.

You will most likely lag a fair bit on low settings.

1GB RAM

Windows XP Home

Yeah it will be playable I suppose. Would probably lag a lot. But since you played GTA III on a 6 MB graphics card you shouldn't mind this either :D

1GB RAM

Windows XP Home

Yeah it will be playable I suppose. Would probably lag a lot. But since you played GTA III on a 6 MB graphics card you shouldn't mind this either :D

Yeah, you have no idea what a relief it was to get my Geforce4 MX440 back then.

as long as the board is PCI-e x16 than the 9600GT should work for you. i too have an older ASUS board with a nearly 3 year old BIOS, the P4V800D-X to be exact. seems ASUS stops updating BIOSs for boards once they are a year or more old.

but i would say u can play the game on low to medium, may be jerky with that 7950 (not dissing it, it just prolly wont perform the best with IV). consider the BFG 9600GT, very good card. i have to say that any computer that can run Crysis on low at 15-30fps should pull of GTA IV on low. keep in mind Crysis was very poorly coded, and R* usually codes their PC games very well. for example, San Andreas ran fine for me on a Geforce2 GTS 64mb (1024x768, medium settings).

im sure it will be a big surprise to everyone when that game (IV) will run on systems with lower specs..

and where the hell are they with the Minimum reqs?! shouldnt be too much longer, my guess is sometime after the 1st.

i think the 9600GT is an overrated card, it cat even run SA on full, it gives me 10-14 FPS when i do

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

Mine pisses all over Episode 2, Bioshock, COD4, Grid, DMC4, FEAR, Everything at 1680x1050 reso.

1GB RAM

Windows XP Home

Tried running GTA3 on an HP Pavilion 7855, with a 1Ghz Pentium 3, 128MB RAM, and an integrated video card. And guess what, it lagged a lot. It's no wonder why my brother gets pissed off when I try installing GTA or The Sims on an underpowered system.

Huckleberry if I were you I'd spring an extra 50 or so bucks on the GPU to get something much better so you wont have to upgrade for a while.

I'll try. Maybe if I get a pretty decent job, instead of burning my dad's money on parts (like when we bought a PC for about 200 bucks), that card would definitely find its home in my board's PCIe slot.

Yes, it will definitely be worth it. If you aren't looking to spend a lot, I recommend a 9600 GT, it's a great midrange card.

How about the 8800GS...er, 9600GSO? You know, the re-badged 88? Will that card work with IV decently?

I'm impressed by this game's previews, i never saw/played it yet, we don't have Xboxes around here yet heh, so i can't wait till it's released, but i'm nervous as if it will work on my PC...

My specs are:

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 10/14/2008, 19:47:23

Machine name: AUK-NBA302

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Latitude D630

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A12

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2038MB RAM

Page File: 982MB used, 2948MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_01F91028&REV_0C

Display Memory: 384.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Driver Name: igxprd32.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4831 (English)

So, will it work on my PC? Thanks.

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe BIOS 1010 mobo

Athlon 64 3500 2.38 GHz Performance Rated at 3.50 GHz

Vista

2 GB DDR dual channel ram

6800 GT PCI-EX 256 DDR3

DX10

2 120 GB hard drives

DVD+RW drive

That is my specs right now and it passes Crysis minimum requirements (PC requirements benchmark) so it should pass minimum for GTA4

There will be no changes to CPU, HD and memory, only get a DVD DL drive

As for the video card Right now i have a 7950 GT 512 DDR3 won at EBay for 55 dollars waiting for me so that'll be an upgrade. I wonder if it'll be enough, if not i don't know if i can get a 9600 due to being a 3.5 year old mobo and 3 year old BIOS

My GTA 4 upgrades all arrived today and this is what i'll go to war with in addition to the above

a new 450 watt PSU,

a DVD writer that can read dual layer

EVGA 9600 GT KO

I will play the game at 1152x864 resolution. I just played Team Fortress 2 now with everything maxed and it's terrific and GTA 4 ready.

im gonna take a stab at this one: it COULD be because of Windows XP 64bit. San Andreas AFAIK isnt 64-bit friendly. download a Virtual Workstation of some sort and install XP 32bit and put San Andreas on that. i'll bet it will run fine. or since you have a 500gb drive, make a new partition and just dual boot 64bit and 32bit.

and why a XEON Quad Core? those are server processors, not really for gaming.

edit: try this first:

lauch the game

after its loaded, ALT-TAB out

CTRL-ALT-DELETE to open Task Manager

find gta-sa.exe in the Proccesses

right click it and click Set Affinity

uncheck all but the first core

click ok, close task manager and return to your game.

this may work for you seeing how u have 4 cores and SA is a Single Core application.

yay thanks :D

i take it that u got it working properly? if so, thats good! ;)

Card name: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

No. Any graphics chipsets made by Intel are horrible.

Also the 4850 is a lot better than the 9600. Please don't make a mistake and put envidya parts in your system.

Well if you mean Integrated Intel Graphics I agree but there chipsets in general are awsume. I run a Intel X38 chipset on my Asus Maximus Formula and love it other than it runs hot. And as for Nvidia why do you hate? lol My board supports ATI Crossfire X but I currently run a Nvidia GTX 260 and its a rock solid performer and folds like nobodys business and has that cuda physics thing build in. I like Nvidia and ATI but Nvidia does NOT suck. Never had a nvidia card die on me in 7yrs but 1 ATI did but it depends on the card maker. I always buy BFG when buying a Nvida. They both have alot of good ideas but I never have bought into that SLI and Crossfire stuff.

from what i know and have read, NO card utilizes a full 16x PCI-e slot to the fullest, not to mention PCI-e 2.0 is much more bandwith (still unutilized). so really, Crossfire and SLI are a waste of money, especially when you pay between $300-400 for a single card and then double, triple, or quadruple it. one day there may be a true benefit as to having these technologies, but as for now its just a selling feature that many fools buy into, making the companies more money.

Well if you mean Integrated Intel Graphics I agree but there chipsets in general are awsume. I run a Intel X38 chipset on my Asus Maximus Formula and love it other than it runs hot. And as for Nvidia why do you hate? lol My board supports ATI Crossfire X but I currently run a Nvidia GTX 260 and its a rock solid performer and folds like nobodys business and has that cuda physics thing build in. I like Nvidia and ATI but Nvidia does NOT suck. Never had a nvidia card die on me in 7yrs but 1 ATI did but it depends on the card maker. I always buy BFG when buying a Nvida. They both have alot of good ideas but I never have bought into that SLI and Crossfire stuff.
No. Any graphics chipsets made by Intel are horrible.

AS for nVidia sucking, they absolutely do, horrible drivers and a high defectiveness rate. Also not very many things support PhysX, it's a fail technology IMO.