Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

One last question, please.

I found an ATI HD 4850 and I might buy it next week, but don't know if I have to upgrade the power feeder... I don't know the exact term in english.

It's the stuff where you put the electricity plug. In italian is called allimentatore. Mine is 350W. With the new video card, will I be obliged to upgrade it?

If not, what's the risk?

If it's obligatory, how many wats are needed?

I tried to google it but i guess i couldn't find the right words for the search.

Edited by gtafan09

Hi, guys. recently I ve been watched the videos about GTA 4 from youtube and the more I watched the clear it is to me. so i come up with one conclusion, which is in terms of the high quality of the graphics that in most of the game nowadays can hardly be seen the GTA 4 PC is really making a whole of breakthrough. And I just thought that ,well, rockstar must be really impressive IF they can manage to launch their pc version with comparatively lower requirement that may fit to run in most of the game players' computers. Cos however I am tring to convincing myself that rockstar is entitled to be one of the undoubtable pioneers in designing high-tech game BUT it is really suspicious to me that how much the game may be able to run in a normal pc that most of the people currently have. Unless, rockstar can find out a way to launch a game with high-visual quality but low requriement on pc. But this time, I hardly see the possibility of it on GTA 4. ~~~~~~~~

Hi, guys. recently I ve been watched the videos about GTA 4 from youtube and the more I watched the clear it is to me. so i come up with one conclusion, which is in terms of the high quality of the graphics that in most of the game nowadays can hardly be seen the GTA 4 PC is really making a whole of breakthrough. And I just thought that ,well, rockstar must be really impressive IF they can manage to launch their pc version with comparatively lower requirement that may fit to run in most of the game players' computers. Cos however I am tring to convincing myself that rockstar is entitled to be one of the undoubtable pioneers in designing high-tech game BUT it is really suspicious to me that how much the game may be able to run in a normal pc that most of the people currently have. Unless, rockstar can find out a way to launch a game with high-visual quality but low requriement on pc. But this time, I hardly see the possibility of it on GTA 4. ~~~~~~~~

It's impossible to launch good visuals with low requirements.

Even if they manage to do something like that, they won't tell.

They will always find a way to make you upgrade and spend more on your PC, but never less.

Edited by gtafan09

Of course not, GTA IV doesn't have shitty graphics like its predecessors. (I'm not insulting or degrading GTA here, but honestly before GTA IV its graphics were pretty bad)

You will have to have a nice computer to play this game, believe me. Rockstar said is runs beautifully on PC. They were referring to the PC as a platform and were likely talking about higher-end hardware.

GTA IV's graphics are incredibly innovative. Never before has there been a true sandbox game with the same quality of graphics. Never.

I found an ATI HD 4850 and I might buy it next week, but don't know if I have to upgrade the power feeder... I don't know the exact term in english.

It's the stuff where you put the electricity plug. In italian is called allimentatore. Mine is 350W. With the new video card, will I be obliged to upgrade it?

If not, what's the risk?

I tried to google it but i guess i couldn't find the right words for the search.

Pretty close, it's called a "power supply" in English.

And I'd recommend a 500w or higher for that card. Check the card's requirements.

Of course not, GTA IV doesn't have shitty graphics like its predecessors. (I'm not insulting or degrading GTA here, but honestly before GTA IV its graphics were pretty bad)

You will have to have a nice computer to play this game, believe me. Rockstar said is runs beautifully on PC. They were referring to the PC as a platform and were likely talking about higher-end hardware.

GTA IV's graphics are incredibly innovative. Never before has there been a true sandbox game with the same quality of graphics. Never.

If not, what's the risk?

And I'd recommend a 500w or higher for that card. Check the card's requirements.

Are GTA IV graphics better than Assassin's Creed?

If not, what's the risk?

Thank you... you're right. I googled with "power supply" and it's more than 450 W.

So, other money to spend on :(

googeling for this, i found an interesting thing called power supply calculator

Christ82 and gtafan09. Although I dont want to agree with u but somehow I have to believe with what you said is true. On the other hand, at least u told me one thing, I cannot expect to play that game on my pc anymore. u sent me a death penalty indeed. now there is pointless for me to gather the information of this game cos i cannot play it whatsoever. thanx anyway.

Edited by Mabuba

Here's the breakdown of the 2007-08 kickass games test in GTA4 preparation after mu upgrades

Crysis cripples me in battle scenes with single digit FPS even at lowest settings. The 43 and 23 from before were in the beginning with no enemies

Warhead is better optimized as the big explosive scenes the lowest is in the teens with ultra config settings specifically for 9600 GT

Hellgate is next and since dual core is not required, it should run very smooth.

* Processor: 1 .8GHz or faster (2.4GHz for Vista)

* RAM: 1GB or more (2GB for Vista)

* Video: DirectX 9.0c/10 compatible device w/ 128MB RAM or better and Pixel Shader 2.0 support; requires NVIDIA GeForce 6200/ATI Radeon 9000 chipset or greater

* Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible device

* Disc drive: 8x DVD or faster

* Hard drive: 6 GB or more free space

* Input: Keyboard and mouse

* Internet: Connection required for multiplayer

It's a better game to compare requirements than Bully. I hope GTA 4 doesn't require dual core

They will always find a way to make you upgrade and spend more on your PC, but never less.

Well I have to disagree with that. Look at Far Cry 2. Brand new game and runs fine on my brothers Old P4 and a 8600gt 1 Gig of ram with all the eye Candy and good FPS

@ 1024x768. I realize that isnt the highest res today but its still a 17'' monitor standard. And Far Cry 2 is absolutely beautiful. Im sure GTA IV will run on a wide variety of of pc's just fine. Maybe not all the eye candy but still playable to say the least.

Edited by Captain318

Well I have to disagree with that. Look at Far Cry 2. Brand new game and runs fine on my brothers Old P4 and a 8600gt 1 Gig of ram with all the eye Candy and good FPS

@ 1024x768. I realize that isnt the highest res today but its still a 17'' monitor standard. And Far Cry 2 is absolutely beautiful. Im sure GTA IV will run on a wide variety of of pc's just fine. Maybe not all the eye candy but still playable to say the least.

Well, 8600GT is a DX10 card, isn't it? It should play the new generation's games at low graphics level.

But like I said before, graphics are what makes today's games beautiful. Storylines and shooting are the same as in any other game.

Except GTA, of course. For example, I can play very well Assassin's Creed with my actual PC by setting the graphic levels at minimum, but it was like playing a PS1 game.

I hope GTA works with low requirements, but as you know, the vast open world space in GTA, those large dynamic cities, make GTA a very hard game to be handled by the PC. That's why GTA SA had such ugly graphics.

But GTA IV is not SA. It has very good graphics, high resolution textures. And GTA IV isn't Far Cry 2 neither.

Far Cry 2 has less objects to draw in the jungle scenes, and it's territory is not as big as GTAIV's territory.

GTA IV has to draw dozens of pedestrians, cars, trees and buildings and other details simultaneously, in a much larger space than the scenes of Far Cry 2.

There's a reason why GTA IV requires 18 GB of hard disk space.

It's textures must be very large because of the high resolution.

Large textures can't be easily played by a simple graphic card, and those shadows and reflexions can't be played without shader model 3.0 or better.

Yuor card has a SM3.0, i guess?

Edited by gtafan09

Yeah, I was amazed to see that Far Cry 2 had quite low requirements...

Gave me hope that GTA IV can do something like that too :D

I wonder when they give out official system requirements for GTA IV PC ?

Yeah but just letting you guys know that these are two different games, they both could be completely different to each other.

Christ82 and gtafan09. Although I dont want to agree with u but somehow I have to believe with what you said is true. On the other hand, at least u told me one thing, I cannot expect to play that game on my pc anymore. u sent me a death penalty indeed. now there is pointless for me to gather the information of this game cos i cannot play it whatsoever. thanx anyway.

Well, if your computer can't run it, then upgrade it? Post your PC specs and stuff and we can guide you into buying a decent system so you can play GTA IV. Plus, we don't know the minimum requirements for GTA IV on PC, so most likely you could run it, but then again, it is a high-end game, especially in it's graphics, gameplay etc. so it might not run on computers which are shit.

I suggest posting your PC system specs here, we could possibly guide you throughout and tell you on what to improve.

Well, 8600GT is a DX10 card, isn't it? It should play the new generation's games at low graphics level.

But like I said before, graphics are what makes today's games beautiful. Storylines and shooting are the same as in any other game.

Except GTA, of course. For example, I can play very well Assassin's Creed with my actual PC by setting the graphic levels at minimum, but it was like playing a PS1 game.

I hope GTA works with low requirements, but as you know, the vast open world space in GTA, those large dynamic cities, make GTA a very hard game to be handled by the PC. That's why GTA SA had such ugly graphics.

But GTA IV is not SA. It has very good graphics, high resolution textures. And GTA IV isn't Far Cry 2 neither.

Far Cry 2 has less objects to draw in the jungle scenes, and it's territory is not as big as GTAIV's territory.

GTA IV has to draw dozens of pedestrians, cars, trees and buildings and other details simultaneously, in a much larger space than the scenes of Far Cry 2.

Large textures can't be easily played by a simple graphic card, and those shadows and reflexions can't be played without shader model 3.0 or better.

The 8600gt being DX10 has jack to do with it. That is a buget card now and runs the game fine. How do you figure Far Cry 2 has less objects to draw in the jungle? Have you actually played that game. It has tons of stuff to draw and all the moving and hi-res foliage is what normaly kills you FPS. Sorry to tell ya but the graphics are better on Far Cry 2 than the console version at least of GTAIV. And if you ever notice GTAIV has really crappy draw distance too. Both 360 and PS3. O and as for the territory not being as big.....LOL R U KIDDING ME. My point is there is new state of the art games that run fine on older and buget PC's. If a P4,1gig of ram, and a budget 8600gt, can pull off highest settings on new games like Far Cry 2 and Pure im sure GTAIV will be atleast playabe for those people on medium to lower settings. When it comes to eye candy on GTAIV I will guess it to be like all other games...., the higher the res the less FPS. But that dont mean you cant have all the eye candy on at a more moderate res. Rockstar know what there doin and they have been through this before. They know how to program very well. Look how hard it was to tell the difference between the PS3 and 360 versions wich are two totally different platforms to develop for. And PS3 supposedly being such a pain in the A$$ to develop for. I think everyone is WAY WAY OVERESTIMATING what that game will actually require. I run a Quad Core Q9550, 4Gigs of ram, And a GTX 260 and people on other forums have had the nerve to say maybe you will get medium to medium high settings with that setup lol. SERIOUSLY.

Edited by Captain318

Yeah but just letting you guys know that these are two different games, they both could be completely different to each other.

Well, if your computer can't run it, then upgrade it? Post your PC specs and stuff and we can guide you into buying a decent system so you can play GTA IV. Plus, we don't know the minimum requirements for GTA IV on PC, so most likely you could run it, but then again, it is a high-end game, especially in it's graphics, gameplay etc. so it might not run on computers which are shit.

I suggest posting your PC system specs here, we could possibly guide you throughout and tell you on what to improve.

Thanks for your help but I dont think that I would like to spend money on upgrading my hardware just for playing this game cos its not worthwhile at all. Besides, mine is a laptop, asus x53series, 2gb memory, DuoT5450, vistahome,ati2400 with Vram128, 160gbHD. I dont think that is possible for me to play that game, dont u agree? Well perhaps at very low settings as somebody told me before, but I wont have much interest in playing this game at low settings cos almost all of the charming of that game will be eliminated for that!

Thanks for your help but I dont think that I would like to spend money on upgrading my hardware just for playing this game cos its not worthwhile at all. Besides, mine is a laptop, asus x53series, 2gb memory, DuoT5450, vistahome,ati2400 with Vram128, 160gbHD. I dont think that is possible for me to play that game, dont u agree? Well perhaps at very low settings as somebody told me before, but I wont have much interest in playing this game at low settings cos almost all of the charming of that game will be eliminated for that!

If it wasn't meant to play games on it in the first place, then buy the console version then, if you can't be arsed to buy the upgrades for your PC. And to tell you, laptops aren't really best for playing PC games since they weren't created for that purpose. Desktop PC's are probably what you should be aiming for. So yeah, for you, either upgrade to a desktop PC, or buy the console version, cause if you can't get your PC upgraded, buy the console version as you don't need to upgrade at all.

The 8600gt being DX10 has jack to do with it. That is a buget card now and runs the game fine. How do you figure Far Cry 2 has less objects to draw in the jungle? Have you actually played that game. It has tons of stuff to draw and all the moving and hi-res foliage is what normaly kills you FPS. Sorry to tell ya but the graphics are better on Far Cry 2 than the console version at least of GTAIV. And if you ever notice GTAIV has really crappy draw distance too. Both 360 and PS3. O and as for the territory not being as big.....LOL R U KIDDING ME. My point is there is new state of the art games that run fine on older and buget PC's. If a P4,1gig of ram, and a budget 8600gt, can pull off highest settings on new games like Far Cry 2 and Pure im sure GTAIV will be atleast playabe for those people on medium to lower settings. When it comes to eye candy on GTAIV I will guess it to be like all other games...., the higher the res the less FPS. But that dont mean you cant have all the eye candy on at a more moderate res. Rockstar know what there doin and they have been through this before. They know how to program very well. Look how hard it was to tell the difference between the PS3 and 360 versions wich are two totally different platforms to develop for. And PS3 supposedly being such a pain in the A$$ to develop for. I think everyone is WAY WAY OVERESTIMATING what that game will actually require. I run a Quad Core Q9550, 4Gigs of ram, And a GTX 260 and people on other forums have had the nerve to say maybe you will get medium to medium high settings with that setup lol. SERIOUSLY.

8600 pulls off the highest graphic level on Far Cry 2? Really? I thought you meant that you played it with low graphics and resolution.

Are you sure you put shadows level at high? If yes, it's a hell of a card, and by normal cards I don't mean that kind, but DX9 ones.

8600 might be the lowest of the new generation, but there's e big difference between Vista's DX10 and XP-s DX9.

Since you have tried both; a quad supercomp with best VGA on market, and a simple P4 PC with 1 GB Ram and 8600GT,

you must know better than anyone the difference between playing these games on lowest graphics level and highest.

I mean, with lowest graphics, Pure is just a racing game. You can find games like that on free PS1 roms on the web.

Graphics makes it special.

I haven't played GTA IV PC, but you haven't neither. I haven't played Far Cry 2, but I have tried a lot of things with Crysis and Assassins Creed,

and I don't think that animated folliage kills FPS more then a busy city full of animated interactive objects and dynamic lights and shaders.

I mean, with Crysis, I could set all graphics to High, and only shaders at low, and I could get 20 FPS.

But if I tried the contrary, all specs at Low, and only shaders at High, I couldn't get more then 8 FPS.

So shaders make all the big difference on new gen's games, and folliage doesn't use shader as much as a city with cars that reflex on their metal everything that goes by, with water that looks like real and with lights and shadows that change on a human body following the slightest move.

And about the territory, I read on the web that Far Cry 2 map size is less then the half of GTA IV map size.

Is that true? I might be wrong on this.

Far Cry 2 Open World

The extensive artistic research combined with the next-gen engine will allow you to explore over 50Km2 of seamlessly rendered African landscape. No game has ever provided such freedom of movement!

Check this out here

I realize that we are talkin about two entirely different games and two different engines but I think this is a worthy comparison if there is one lol.

Recommended System Requirements

OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz

Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)

18 GB Free Hard Drive Space

Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

I pass, and The NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT is way better than the 8600GT, the 9600GT is compareable with the 8800GTS 640MB :D:D, Thank you God! Hallelujah:P. Bt why does it has such heavy system requirements?

i thought that the 9600GT is uhh..a 9600gt ? not a 8800gts

8800gtx >8800gts > 8800gt > 9600gt ... isnt it? just in raw power not price/performance or anything.

good it will work on XP

iam sick of vista and its problems, dont tell me off, i have been fixing vista computers all this week, they cause nothing but unnecessary issues...

i had less trouble connecting a mac OSX to a windows based active directory domain (server 03) than vista! (home premium that is...dont tell me "its cos it cant connect to domain, thats obvious, but you gotta work with what your given, some scripts fixes that easy)

Edited by WRX22B1998

I've already asked before with the previously announced requirements that turned out to be unofficial, but now with the new unbelievable minimum requirements I'm not very sure if I'm able to run the game at least on lowest graphical options.

My PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3000+

CPU Speed: 1.81 GHz Performance Rated at 3.00 GHz

RAM: 1.5 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

CD-Rom: CD-rw + DVD (II2350O PLA752Y)

Could anyone please be so kind to tell me if I will be able to at least run the game and play it on lowest of low without lag?