Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

Ok, I got a laptop which got everything:

2.0ghz C2D

2048 mb Ram

7900GS GO 256mb

Question is, will the card do?

Cause it is the laptop version of the minimum required card.

I dont know for sure;P

Cause It says it needs the 7900GT! I dont know if it will make a huge difference between 7900GS and 7900GT, will check that for you on NVIDIA.com :P. Well i think it makes a lil difference in clockspeeds, but maybe its because of the less amount of shaders between Gegorce Go 7900GTX and Geforce Go 7900GS.

My final setup for this game will be

The barebone

DYNAPOWER TITAN-C2914 case

Phenom 8450 (the recommended AMD CPU)

ASUS M2N SLI mobo

1 stick of 2 GB ddr2 800 ram (will upgrade it with a 2nd 2gb stick after i get it, but not immediately)

The complements

EVGA 9600 GT KO

RAIDMAX RX-450K 450W ATX12V Power Supply

LG 22X DVD DL Burner

Diamond 5.1 sound card

DLink wireless network card

2 Maxtor 120 GB IDE hard drives (7200 master, 5400 slave)

Vista 32 bit SP1

Do you think that the game would run if I switched back to XP? I just bought myself a 2GB stick of RAM (to replace one of the 1GB sticks) and Vista won't load with it in. It's only 3Gb so it should load. I was thinking of switching to XP anyway, as it would probably make most of my games run better.

The rest of my system:

NVIDIA 7900GT

AMD 3800+ 2.0GHz

My Specs:

intel dual core 2.8

2gigs ddr2 ram

512 meg nvidia 8500gt

I ran the new futurmark thing to see if it would work, but it wasn't coming up with the right specs for my computer. Also, i've noticed that the graphics are a LOT better on PC, but will i be able to run it to look at least as well as the 360?

Do you think that the game would run if I switched back to XP? I just bought myself a 2GB stick of RAM (to replace one of the 1GB sticks) and Vista won't load with it in. It's only 3Gb so it should load. I was thinking of switching to XP anyway, as it would probably make most of my games run better.

The rest of my system:

NVIDIA 7900GT

AMD 3800+ 2.0GHz

Well, Vista is on DX10 and would make the visuals better on IV, and if you go back to XP, you'll only have DX9 which basically minuses the visuals. Make sure you've placed the 2GB stick of RAM firmly in, I've realized that many people don't do this alot, but don't go crazily firm with the stick of RAM.

My Specs:

intel dual core 2.8

2gigs ddr2 ram

512 meg nvidia 8500gt

I ran the new futurmark thing to see if it would work, but it wasn't coming up with the right specs for my computer. Also, i've noticed that the graphics are a LOT better on PC, but will i be able to run it to look at least as well as the 360?

Well, your card won't really do, unfortunately. Someone on here has a 8500GT card and when they checked it out on SystemRequirementsLab it didn't even pass the recommended, but I wouldn't rely on that site alot considering it's not that accurate. Get a 8800GT, or ATi Radoen 4850.

Well, Vista is on DX10 and would make the visuals better on IV, and if you go back to XP, you'll only have DX9 which basically minuses the visuals. Make sure you've placed the 2GB stick of RAM firmly in, I've realized that many people don't do this alot, but don't go crazily firm with the stick of RAM.

I'm not that fussed by lots of visuals to be honest. I play plenty of games on DX9 and they all look fine. Graphics don't make a great game, in my opinion. Just as long as it runs smoothly.

I didn't think the 7900GT even supports DX10?

The RAM works if I take out the 1GB stick, and also if I take out the 2GB stick and replace it with the other 1GB. It just doesn't work with all 3GB. The computer boots up, and it even recognizes all 3GB, but when it gets to loading up Windows, the screen just stays blank. It's really strange.

Edited by Davesta

The most telling clue that high clocked dual cores will likely max this game out is that the AMD recommended requirements is a tri core, not a quad core. If the recommended really was a quad, then Rockstar should've put Phenom x4 instead of x3 on the AMD side to match Intel's quad. Since Intel doesn't have a tri core, they're just choosing the weakest quad on their side at the time the requirements were finalized.

The minimum likewise is what's needed to run it at console quality.

And on that note, The truly final barebone update:

I will get the x2 5600 Brisbane as it is the highest clocked AMD at 65w, which is the same power as my single core 3500 is right now, but way better performance. There are AMD Quads with 65 w power consumption, but the clock speed is pathetic at under 2 ghz each core. They will have to am

@Giedrius: Yeah you might be able to run it. 8500gt is sorta fail though, so you would be running it on really low res and low settings

@Fuggedaboutit: from the look of that, you got a laptop. you will definitely be able to run it, but since 7900gs, in a laptop, i dunno the comparison to a desktop 7900. probably abit slower. you definitely should be able to run it.

oh and about above whoever wrote about DX10 and vista (Davesta). DX10's increase gets canceled out by vista's resource hunger pretty much. And only geforce 8xxx or newer supports DX10. so yeah i would change back to XP.

then set your vista disk on fire lol

Edited by WRX22B1998

That's not true at all, DX10 was not only meant to improve graphics (which it does) but it was also for improving performance on the same hardware (which it does). Vista is not resource hungry, people who say that are ignorant; yes it will say it is using a lot of RAM but it's not actually using it (as in preventing apps from using it), it's caching it so applications can access it faster. It's called advanced memory management.

In any case, Windows 7 and DX11 are coming up in about a year so don't wait, either get a DX10.1 card now or get a DX11 card in the future.

Also, that magazine scan is awesome because that mid-range config is nearly identical to mine, I'm happy I can run it at my native resolution on fairly good settings.

That's not true at all, DX10 was not only meant to improve graphics (which it does) but it was also for improving performance on the same hardware (which it does). Vista is not resource hungry, people who say that are ignorant; yes it will say it is using a lot of RAM but it's not actually using it (as in preventing apps from using it), it's caching it so applications can access it faster. It's called advanced memory management.

In any case, Windows 7 and DX11 are coming up in about a year so don't wait, either get a DX10.1 card now or get a DX11 card in the future.

Also, that magazine scan is awesome because that mid-range config is nearly identical to mine, I'm happy I can run it at my native resolution on fairly good settings.

All I want to know is, if I switch back to XP with a 7900GT, 3GB RAM & AMD X2 2.0GHz, will it make the game run faster?

lol chris82 way to chuck a shit over it. lol.

anyways, Davesta, your card doesnt even have hardware support for DX10 anyway; just go back to XP, it will be faster.

when they test games, i saw in a magazine, they tested on XP then on Vista and XP always got better fps than Vista. Sorry to say, but its just fact.

Vida, no way, you have intel integrated.that's basically a NO.

@S-V lol...run run run. then find some $ for new video card :P