Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

@Nedizz

well 4870 is a great video card, definitely up there. AMD X2 6000+ you will be able to play for sure. also, make sure you get a brand name power supply (antec, thermaltake, coolermaster etc) with about 430W + (i think thats enough). I'd get another gigabyte of ram too, 1gb is enough for day-to-day use, but if you are planning on gaming i'd get at least 2gb. Also are you going to use vista or XP ? Vista will give an advantage with DX10, but like I said before, you'll want more ram.

what internet type do you have? and what speed is it? go check on speedtest.net. 150ms isnt too bad, when i played medal of honor online on USA servers, my ping was like 250. its ok, but dont bother trying to snipe people cos it just doesnt work.

Thanks for your answer (:

Now, for power supply I'm planning to get this one: CTP-500-12G CHIEFTEC GREEN PSU ATX 500W PFC 12CM 80+

I'm thinking of using XP (or should I take Vista despite all the negative comments?). Talking about RAM, I am thinking of buying myself 3GB (would go for 4, but I heard some rumors that XP ignores RAM over 3GB).

I've got a d-link modem with 2mbit speed. I'm from Lithuania, speedtest shows ~100ms with Frankfurt, ~200ms with London, 230ms ping with New York. Do you know where the Multiplayer mode servers will be situated? Will the players themselves be able to create private servers on their PC's?

Could you comment on this? (:

Edited by Nedizz

Hi there,

Having discovered that my pc hasn't got a hope in hell of running GTA IV i was looking for some advice as to upgrading. Want to keep things reasonably cheap but have a system thats going to last me a while in terms of gaming... Not very familiar with the whole technical side of things so the simpler the better!

Here is what i have at the moment,

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT

RAM: 2gb

Your help is much appreciated! Cheers

Hi there,

Having discovered that my pc hasn't got a hope in hell of running GTA IV i was looking for some advice as to upgrading. Want to keep things reasonably cheap but have a system thats going to last me a while in terms of gaming... Not very familiar with the whole technical side of things so the simpler the better!

The only thing you need to work on is your processor:P

Its not a DualCore, the rest seems fine

Ok guys I got it to run finaly on my Vista and holy crap. This game will kick the crap out of your PC. Here are my specs....

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @2.83GHz

Memory: 4GB PC2 6400 800Mhz DDR2 (G.Skill)

Hard Drive: (HDD1) 1TB WD (HDD2) 320GB SG

Video Card: BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 OC 896mb

Monitor: Proview 19" LCD Widescreen 1440x900

Sound Card: Supreme FX2 SoundMAX HD Audio

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA

(PSU) Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

and I CANT max it holy crap :pissedred: . Its a bit jerky even where it defaults the settings too @ my native res of 1440x900. So there ya go. Yup this is my new Crysis Equivelent. BTW the game can use up to like 1.5gb of Video mem I take it and it also has a resource monitor thing in the graphics settings that tells you if you are within your systems limits wich is kinda cool. Prolly ill ditch my GTX260 soon for 2x ATI Radeon 4870x2's in Crossfire X since my board supports X-fire any way. Maybe that would help I dunno.

I was able to get rid of the jerkyness by not changing the graphics around while the game is active. What I did was adjust my settings to where I wanted them and then restarted the game and all is well now. Everything is maxed but drawdistance. I think thats going to be Multiple GPU territory. Still it looks fantastic on default draw settings. Way better than console.

Edited by Captain318

Hi there,

The only thing you need to work on is your processor:P

Its not a DualCore, the rest seems fine

Thanks very much. So can anybody recommend a processor thats going to give me decent performance and longevity but for a reasonable price? Cheers.

Thanks very much. So can anybody recommend a processor thats going to give me decent performance and longevity but for a reasonable price? Cheers.

From what I have read, it would seem that you are better off going for a high-clock dual core than a low end quad. I have just bought myself an AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz processor for £70. That appears to be pretty good value. I'd also recommend getting another GB of RAM, as this isn't very expensive and can make a big difference.

I would also like to know, from people who actually own the game, how well do you expect my system to play the game with the following hardware:

AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB DDR2 RAM

NVIDIA 7900GT

Thanks.

From what I have read, it would seem that you are better off going for a high-clock dual core than a low end quad. I have just bought myself an AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz processor for £70. That appears to be pretty good value. I'd also recommend getting another GB of RAM, as this isn't very expensive and can make a big difference.

I would also like to know, from people who actually own the game, how well do you expect my system to play the game with the following hardware:

AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB DDR2 RAM

NVIDIA 7900GT

Thanks.

I would say you would be playing on Low to Low Medium with that setup.

From what I have read, it would seem that you are better off going for a high-clock dual core than a low end quad. I have just bought myself

Don't think so, not for GTA IV at least. It would seem to take full advantage of all four cores, so getting a quad core is a better decision, plus they will get even better in the future as more applications begin to support them.

@Lid431 .. yeah should work fine.

@Nedizz .. cant say ive heard of that PSU brand. go for a brand name like antec, coolermaster, thermaltake etc. yeah 3gb of ram would be plenty, XP and Vista 32bit will ignore any ram over like 3.75gb or something. Not sure the exact amount. I dunno about ping and where servers will be n stuff like that, sorry man. Also dunno whether you can host your own server :S It'd be good though.

@Captain318

holy fcking shit...wow. Well that's a eye opener for sure! jeezus. Fast quad core and a gtx260 you still cant max it.insane. You should post some screens, and then someone find some 360 / ps3 screens, to compare maybe. crazy! Maybe someone will have to buy the top notch i7 and crossfire 4870x2 to run it on 1080p full quality LOL.

@chris82

yeah i have to agree with that, although previously games were not optimised for quadcore, now they would be, since its more popular and is slowly coming in. i would also say yeah, quadcore now over a dualcore.

Edited by WRX22B1998

AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB DDR2 RAM

NVIDIA 7900GT

Thanks.

I would say you would be playing on Low to Low Medium with that setup.

That makes sense. So long as I can play at 1600x1200 or at least 1280x1024 or without slowdowns, I don't mind playing on low settings.
Don't think so, not for GTA IV at least. It would seem to take full advantage of all four cores, so getting a quad core is a better decision, plus they will get even better in the future as more applications begin to support them.

That's a good point. In terms of older games, a high clocked dual core is probably better, but if GTA IV actually makes use of all 4 cores, then it would be the better option. They are rather expensive, although I would guess they will hold their value and performance longer than dual cores.

i got GTA 4 yesterday and this is what i have right now

intel pentium D dual core 2.8

2GB ddr2 ram

7300 LE 512mb graphics card

the game runs very very very slow so i bought a 256mb 7900 GS factory OC

I'm just wondering if thr game will run on this set up as on the box it says it requires a Intel core duo 1.8, but i have a Pentium D will this make much difference?

will it still run ok?

I have only 2 GB RAM but that is really not enough, I know the game spec says 2.5 GB for Vista ..

I noticed the game was acting weird, sometimes the road was missing or buildings, its like changing the graphics settings sometimes would or wouldnt affect that..

I'm thinking its the lack of system RAM. As I noticed it peaking at 1.95 !! >.<

So far newegg is the place I've found least expensive PC2 6400 for 4GB (2x2GB). Have any of you guys had any experiences, w/ Mushkin EM brand ? I've read some reviews saying it was good but seems less likely to be good for gaming/ OC..

I have only 2 GB RAM but that is really not enough, I know the game spec says 2.5 GB for Vista ..

I noticed the game was acting weird, sometimes the road was missing or buildings, its like changing the graphics settings sometimes would or wouldnt affect that..

So far newegg is the place I've found least expensive PC2 6400 for 4GB (2x2GB). Have any of you guys had any experiences, w/ Mushkin EM brand ? I've read some reviews saying it was good but seems less likely to be good for gaming/ OC..

game spec says 1.5gb for vista 1gb for xp

game spec says 1.5gb for vista 1gb for xp

The recommended settings for system RAM are 2GB for XP and 2.5GB Vista, its on my game label. I never go w/ "minimum reqs" as are listed for some products because they usually offer the poorest performance. I've contacted T2 w/ my issue to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.