Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

I'm working with:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2 (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1022 MB Ram

Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE, 512 MB memory

One word: upgrade. I've seen cases of people running IV on a Pentium IV, but it isn't optimal enough for everyday use. The same goes for the video card; I had one and it does suck big time. Upgrading to at least Core 2 Duo and a 9500GT may help, but most of us here strongly recommend a quad-core, lots of RAM and an 8800GT.

I'm working with:

One word: upgrade. I've seen cases of people running IV on a Pentium IV, but it isn't optimal enough for everyday use. The same goes for the video card; I had one and it does suck big time. Upgrading to at least Core 2 Duo and a 9500GT may help, but most of us here strongly recommend a quad-core, lots of RAM and an 8800GT.

thanks for the reply buddy , lets say i take what you are saying into consideration (which i certainly will) how much dow ($_$) do i have to apply to be able to get a quad-core , 4 gb ram and the 8800 gt ? if an upgrade is worth as much as buying a new computer , what specs would you recommend for me to be able to run gta4 with highest resolution and not get the slightest lag ?

thanks for the reply buddy , lets say i take what you are saying into consideration (which i certainly will) how much do i have to apply to be able to get a quad-core, 4 gb ram and the 8800 gt? if an upgrade is worth as much as buying a new computer, what specs would you recommend for me to be able to run gta4 with highest resolution and not get the slightest lag?

Hmm, it is certain that you might need to buy a new PC with the specs I mentioned, and it'll be a bit hard to make a rig that can max out IV in a stable fashion without spending a lot. I'm opting for a not-so-maxed out yet decent configuration, something that can run or 800x600 or 1280x800 in medium-high. HD resolutions are OK but I find it a bit of a visual overkill.

thanks for the reply buddy , lets say i take what you are saying into consideration (which i certainly will) how much do i have to apply to be able to get a quad-core, 4 gb ram and the 8800 gt? if an upgrade is worth as much as buying a new computer, what specs would you recommend for me to be able to run gta4 with highest resolution and not get the slightest lag?

Hmm, it is certain that you might need to buy a new PC with the specs I mentioned, and it'll be a bit hard to make a rig that can max out IV in a stable fashion without spending a lot. I'm opting for a not-so-maxed out yet decent configuration, something that can run or 800x600 or 1280x800 in medium-high. HD resolutions are OK but I find it a bit of a visual overkill.

gr8 thx. given the specs previously posted if i do actually run the game will the lag make me:

1-kill myself

2-punch the keyboard many times

3-punch the keyboard 1 to 3 times

4-be grateful abd thank the lord for blessing me with these specs

5-it will work fine

8800gt is out of date now, if ur looking for one around $200 then get a ATi 4850/4870 or a nVidia 9800GT/GTS250 or something... pentium 4 is a no-go, it might run but it will hold you back a lot. get a core 2 duo like E7300 or if you wanna spend more then maybe get E8400 or if you have a big budget, a i7 or a phenom X4 955

keep in mind if you want any of these new CPU's you'll need a new motherboard. Gigabyte EP45UD3LR is a good Intel one. Not sure about AMD. For i7 maybe EX58 or ASUS P6T, i7 is quite expensive though.

I'm working with:

The game really isn't quite as resource intensive as some made it out to be. By bypassing the memory restrictions, I can put every Graphics option to the Max/on whatever it is and get 35-50 FPS with my SINGLE GTX 275 that isn't OC'd.

The game really isn't quite as resource intensive as some made it out to be. By bypassing the memory restrictions, I can put every Graphics option to the Max/on whatever it is and get 35-50 FPS with my SINGLE GTX 275 that isn't OC'd.

A single GTX275 (and a i7) is a LONG way ahead of a 3.2GHz Pentium4 and a 7300.

A single GTX275 (and a i7) is a LONG way ahead of a 3.2GHz Pentium4 and a 7300.

I realize this, but a few people on this site made it sound like you needed like quad-sli GTX 295s to get 20FPS on high..... A specific quote that sticks in my head was when somebody big here (Chris?) said that High Graphics in the game was reserved for future technology. That makes it sound a bit more than a GTX 275.

And the game only uses like 20-50% of my i7.....

Edited by Raybob

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I need to know if the following computer can run GTA IV. Now I know it's low end, hell, it's trash these days. Usually though I can play games by turning pretty much everything down to the lowest settings.

If I turn everything, and I mean every single setting down to their lowest possible, even if cars looked like boxes and trees looked like paper bags, can this run the game:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.4GHz

1GB DDR2 RAM

ATI Radeon X1300 128mb

Windows XP SP3

Bad I know... but I've managed to get games like Crysis to work decently well by making the game look quite horrid... is this possible? Would I be able to achieve, I dunno, 10-15fps on the lowest possible?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I need to know if the following computer can run GTA IV. Now I know it's low end, hell, it's trash these days. Usually though I can play games by turning pretty much everything down to the lowest settings.

If I turn everything, and I mean every single setting down to their lowest possible, even if cars looked like boxes and trees looked like paper bags, can this run the game:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.4GHz

1GB DDR2 RAM

ATI Radeon X1300 128mb

Windows XP SP3

Bad I know... but I've managed to get games like Crysis to work decently well by making the game look quite horrid... is this possible? Would I be able to achieve, I dunno, 10-15fps on the lowest possible?

Thanks.

Yeah, sorry. The Video card, RAM, CPU, everything is trash. You need a dual-core AT THE LEAST. Also, 2GB RAM and 256MB VRAM. But if you've already got the game, hell, bypass memory restrictions and try it.

• 3 weeks later...

LoL~

How about me? * It's not enough yet I know but can I launch the game and play it smooth will average setting? Or other suggestions?

CPU : Intel Dual Core ( R ) 1.60 GHz *

RAM : 1 GB of Kingston DDR2 RAM

Graphic Card : NVidia GeForce GT 8500, 512 MB

* = I worry about it.

------

READ ABOVE FIRST THEN SEE THIS *********************************************************************************

If My RAM is increase to 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, will I able to run smoother?

And NVidia GeForce GT 8500 change to GT 9500?

Minimum System Requirements

-OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3

-Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz

-Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space

-Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Your Graphics card should be able to run it at very, very low settings...but the rest of your system just can't.

no its a Geforce 9100, this is nowhere close to playing it. if it was 9 series nvidia, you'd be looking at 9500GT minimum. also your CPU is 2.1GHz minimum is 2.4GHz for AMD.

@Nyxhero

nah the CPU is 1.6 you need at least 1.8. if you upgraded to 4gb ram and a 9500 instead of 8500 it's a step in the right direction, but you would still need to upgrade your CPU...

no its a Geforce 9100, this is nowhere close to playing it. if it was 9 series nvidia, you'd be looking at 9500GT minimum. also your CPU is 2.1GHz minimum is 2.4GHz for AMD.

@Nyxhero

nah the CPU is 1.6 you need at least 1.8. if you upgraded to 4gb ram and a 9500 instead of 8500 it's a step in the right direction, but you would still need to upgrade your CPU...

As long as he had absolutely nothing else running in the background, he could have a chance.

What I always is that if you're wondering whether or not you should buy the game, then your specs decide. If you've already got it, even if your specs are way below then you may as well try it . . .

Oh I see.

From the summary, what's the main problem to play GTA IV with my computer?

I always think is the CPU.

I think 1 GB is actually match with XP version.

So my video card is should be in " Recommended Requirement " right?

If my Video card is better then I will quit my mind of changing video card. Then change the motherboard/processor!

And too, I may insert one more GB of RAM into my PC. I think it doesn't use a lot of money, right?

Oh I see.

From the summary, what's the main problem to play GTA IV with my computer?

I always think is the CPU.

I think 1 GB is actually match with XP version.

So my video card is should be in " Recommended Requirement " right?

If my Video card is better then I will quit my mind of changing video card. Then change the motherboard/processor!

And too, I may insert one more GB of RAM into my PC. I think it doesn't use a lot of money, right?

Well, as long as NOTHING else is running in the background then your RAM should be enough. Video card, should be enough for low settings. CPU, doesn't meet the minimum requirement but it's almost there.

If you don't already have the game, upgrade first. If you already have it, try it anyway.

Anyway, thanks, I know more about GTA IV with my computer now.

I wanna try to install first before I upgrade, perhaps it will runs well? I don't really know.. Haha..

Oh.. Let me ask you a question. I have been install once GTA IV in my PC, but it was a failed. It is because of some .cab file/data errors. If I format my computer, will it helps to make the game run smoother?

@raybob

yeah true if you already got the game you may as well try. i thought he hadnt bought it yet.

@nyxhero

those cab errors are likely corrupt files or something similar, so either the disc is scratched or you got a pirated copy that doesnt work.

And if you've got a pirated copy then get out because we're not gonna help you. :D

It's always worth buying the game, because it's only like $30 and it's guaranteed to work fine as long as your PC can handle it.