GTA IV PC details and screenshots emerge

Chris

lolwut?

I was dissapointed with the PC graphics. They seem low-res but it would be their GFX card...

How can you be disappointed? It's still a work in progress, give it time and I can guarantee you that the graphics will be way better than the console graphics. And for the love of God, please make an option to turn off the oil painting effect! It would just make the game appear more sharper in general.

Antialiasing.

I hope they introduce that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol envidya

DA WAY IS MENT 2 B PLAYD.

What a load of shit.

Of course anti-aliasing will be an option, even if they don't put it in the menu, you can force AA on in any game through ATi's CCC and nVidia's control panel.

Also I hate the oil effect as well, either they will add the option to disable it or a mod will be made doing the same.

For all the people worried about it taking an arm and a leg worth of parts to play properly, Sam Houser said that it looked and played beautifully on PC. Of course they're not going to make it so only 1% of PC owners can play. The requirements will be taxing, but they shouldn't be impossible.

I was dissapointed with the PC graphics. They seem low-res but it would be their GFX card...

Ok, it isn't Crysis. We know that...

But if you call these sceens low res, what do you call the console version?

And I must have missed something, what do you guys mean with the oil effects?

@Chris82: GTA IV is going to be a TWIMTBP title? I know SA was, but I don't know if all R* PC titles are..

In general I'm happy when a game is a TWIMTBP title, but that's because I'm an Nvidia user. Probably would hate if I had an AMD card.

Edit: well, decided to look at the picture at full reso. (http://www.thegtaplace.com/image.php?img=gta4/screenshots/pc/gta-iv-pc-screenshot_007.jpg).

That shit looks horrible.

Could also just be the quality of screenshots. I mean, looking at this: "1920x1200 pixels - 332.55Kb" I'd guess that that might be the problem.

AA doesn't seem to be enabled either. I hope GTA DON is right at that it's just like that because it's still in progress..

@Chris82: GTA IV is going to be a TWIMTBP title? I know SA was, but I don't know if all R* PC titles are..

In general I'm happy when a game is a TWIMTBP title, but that's because I'm an Nvidia user. Probably would hate if I had an AMD card.

Could also just be the quality of screenshots. I mean, looking at this: "1920x1200 pixels - 332.55Kb" I'd guess that that might be the problem.

It makes no difference in performance lol, envidya just pays people to do that.

Those screenshots were upsized, the ones provided were smaller for some reason, so those are lower quality.

TWIMTBP means Nvidia also gives them support for optimization.

Just look at Crysis, it just works better on Nvidia cards en CF does jack in Crysis and SLI helps quite a lot.

The Way It's Meant To Be Played (TWIMTBP) is a program that helps game developers to optimize and incorporate exclusive features in their games and applications exclusively for NVIDIA's graphics cards. The deal also adds a splash screen to "the way it's meant to be played" games as well as branding within the game; this is widely considered as a promotion campaign for NVIDIA.

So there ;)

Just look at Crysis, it just works better on Nvidia cards en CF does jack in Crysis and SLI helps quite a lot.
The Way It's Meant To Be Played (TWIMTBP) is a program that helps game developers to optimize and incorporate exclusive features in their games and applications exclusively for NVIDIA's graphics cards. The deal also adds a splash screen to "the way it's meant to be played" games as well as branding within the game; this is widely considered as a promotion campaign for NVIDIA.

So there ;)

And it's working!

nvdachartyahoofinanceth0.png

Crysis is primarily used as a benchmarking game. If what you said is true, it shouldn't be because that would mean ATi's cards will show as performing badly in that game, but not others, and therefore the game would be flawed as a benchmark utility.

4870 Crysis benchmarks

The GTX 260 and 4870 are around $250 including rebates. The 260 was originally much more expensive? Why? I think you know the reason.

Sure, some games are optimized for certain graphics chipsets. The 280 has a ~5fps lead on the 4870 in Crysis but in BioShock, the 4870 has a 10fps lead on the 280...the 280, which costs around $400!

Slightly better performance in some games, worse in others, either way you'd be spending $100-$200 extra for abysmal gains, and only some of the time. Why would you get an envidya card again?

As far as crossfire/SLI goes, I wouldn't recommend either one of them. Not nearly enough performance gain to justify buying the graphics card twice.

Nvidia underestimated ATi.

Even I would have never expected them to come with such a great GPU (R770). I'd actually say AMD struck gold with it. If I didn't have my GTX I would get a 4870(X2).

Q2 has also been the first time in 5 years that Nvidia has had losses.

I'd do SLI if my mobo could, but Intel chipsets (got X38) don't support it :(

But you're right. Under normal circumstances AMD now is the best way to go. Or a GTX260, which now is priced pretty friendly too (for it's performance).

Anyway, TWIMTBP has been very, very succesfull. But now Nvidia has sort of messed up. They should have gone to 55nm much earlier and not base their succes on AMD's failing. Expect them to have come with a new GPU like the G80 was when DX11 arrives.

But I'd have to agree. If you're not planning to set a WR, you'd be better of with ATi now (unless you've got an nVidia board).

Good to see it coming to PC. But, its gonna have some competition from the likes of FarCry2, which alot of PC gamers are probably waiting for. I'll be buying PC version of GTA4 on release though. Keyboard/Mouse owns for run n gun in gta games, whereas I do prefer controller for vehicles. Hopefully they give that option, to use controller for driving, and everything else keyboard/mouse or in my case a trackball. :) Mouse look is gonna change the multiplayer bigtime.

The gallery isn't working, by the way.

Nice too see news emerging, though... can't wait to actually play this properly.

I STILL don't understand how it's more proper to play it on PC. You just don't have the same control over the game. Will SOMEONE explain this to me?

If it has support for PS3 controllers, I might just go out and buy a Dualshock 3. Doubt it will though. f off microsoft.

The 360 controller is more comfortable and easier to use, anyways.

Good to see it coming to PC. But, its gonna have some competition from the likes of FarCry2, which alot of PC gamers are probably waiting for. I'll be buying PC version of GTA4 on release though. Keyboard/Mouse owns for run n gun in gta games, whereas I do prefer controller for vehicles. Hopefully they give that option, to use controller for driving, and everything else keyboard/mouse or in my case a trackball. :) Mouse look is gonna change the multiplayer bigtime.

FarCry2? How is that competition? They aren't even the same genre of game....

And trackball? Dude.... Trackballs are so insanely annoying.... I'd kill myself trying to play a fast-paced game with one.

If it has support for PS3 controllers, I might just go out and buy a Dualshock 3. Doubt it will though. f off microsoft.

That's a matter of opinion, I personally find the 360 controller too big and I prefer the layout of the Playstation controller.

If Far Cry2 wasn't coming at the same time (European release) I would buy GTA IV at it's release.

In a way you can see it as competition. I don't think there are many people who will buy a game and buy another the very next day. I'll get Far Cry 2 first and when I've finished that, I'll get GTA IV.

But GTA has quite a solid fanbase. Everyone who likes the game will eventually pick it up (most will..).

And playing any game with a trackball is hell. I tried it once, words can't explain how much that sucked.

I STILL don't understand how it's more proper to play it on PC. You just don't have the same control over the game. Will SOMEONE explain this to me?

PC Gamers (like Llama) see consoles as a bad thing. You'll have a better experience on a PC. More power --> better graphics (textures, polygons, shaders ect.) + higher resolution. Consoles could play GTA with a very small FPS margin and that's with it's low res textures and stuff. So yeah, you could see it as proper. Also could just see it as better (as being the superior version of the game (which it is)).

And about the controller.. I do not own a 360 and neither do I own a PS3 (though if I were to buy a console tomorrow, it would be the PS3. Just for the Blu-Ray drive. I wouldn't even get a game for it until LA Noire is released.)

I play on both system and I can tell you that the 360 controller is quite bit more comfortable. Sony's solution just doesn't work right IMO.. those triggers don't feel right, at all. No good grip, not ergonomically shaped ect. I just can't see why people like it

That's a matter of opinion, I personally find the 360 controller too big and I prefer the layout of the Playstation controller.

Too big? Are you still using the original Duke for the original Xbox? The 360 controller can hardly be considered big. In fact, I have a slightly hard time holding it because of it's small size. It's not really much bigger than the PS3 controller.

^ Yeah, I've always been used to the Playstation style controllers, though I am getting a 360 Elite in a few months, I'll have to see which one feels more comfortable.

I've always been a DualShock kid. However...... The PS3 controller...... Doesn't do it for me.

If Far Cry2 wasn't coming at the same time (European release) I would buy GTA IV at it's release.

In a way you can see it as competition. I don't think there are many people who will buy a game and buy another the very next day. I'll get Far Cry 2 first and when I've finished that, I'll get GTA IV.

But GTA has quite a solid fanbase. Everyone who likes the game will eventually pick it up (most will..).

And playing any game with a trackball is hell. I tried it once, words can't explain how much that sucked.

EMPHASIS..... AHHHH......

PC Gamers (like Llama) see consoles as a bad thing. You'll have a better experience on a PC. More power --> better graphics (textures, polygons, shaders ect.) + higher resolution. Consoles could play GTA with a very small FPS margin and that's with it's low res textures and stuff. So yeah, you could see it as proper. Also could just see it as better (as being the superior version of the game (which it is)).

.... So you're putting GRAPHICS over GAMEPLAY for GTA? I could not care any less about the graphics, I think it looks brilliant enough on 360. And the fingerless gloves? I couldn't think of a less trivial thing. That's possibly less trivial than the collision issues.

And about the controller.. I do not own a 360 and neither do I own a PS3 (though if I were to buy a console tomorrow, it would be the PS3. Just for the Blu-Ray drive. I wouldn't even get a game for it until LA Noire is released.)

I play on both system and I can tell you that the 360 controller is quite bit more comfortable. Sony's solution just doesn't work right IMO.. those triggers don't feel right, at all. No good grip, not ergonomically shaped ect. I just can't see why people like it

Definitely don't like the triggers as well. But that's obviously because they took their original design and just made two buttons into triggers. So it's just not natural.

Yea, Trackball man. It has not failed me yet. Awesome for FPS's

As for gta4 PC getting comp from FarCry2, was meant by release time, not genre.

use the logitech universal trackball / marble mouse

Awesome for FPS? More like confusing, frustrating, and pissy...... I had a hell of a time using it.... None the less playing FLASH games with it...... An FPS? Forget that......

-.- I just forgot I wasn't in the DS private board......

Also graphics are not preferred over gameplay, it's just that if they can be better while still maintaining the same quality of gameplay, so much the better.

Agreed 100%.

.... Control is part of the gameplay to me. It's easier to PLAY THE GAME with analog controls that aren't massive((like keyboards)).