Good games on the cheap.

Urbanoutlaw

Got a good cheap game? tell us about it. No flaming/fanboyism (but you guys already know that).

A couple weeks back I picked up Test Drive: Unlimited (X360) to kill a little time w/ my kid for $17 from one of the local

Gameshops & was pleasently shocked. TDU is one of the best games X360 I have.

The scenery looks more like PS2 Gran Turismo but is collision modeled so you can drive across fields & through trees.

The map is huge & detailed & there's plenty of side missions to earn $$$ for cars. The handling is good for all the cars

& so far I've been able to win races w/ ALL the cars I've bought & they drive decently. The roads are well modeled &

the GPS is one of the better ones I've seen. X360 version supports online racing.

You start at an airport to set up your player & after a short cutscene you get off in Hawaii w/ $200k, rent a car to drive to

a real estate office & car dealer, then take your first race & drive back to your house. Once done, you're turned loose to explore a surprisingly detailed island of Oahu (the big island). After only a couple hours I racked up some decent $$$ &

bought several good cars. My collection so far (after playing for a week)-

Audi Quattro TT Coupe. First car, fun to drive & wins races in it's class.

'73 Firebird Trans Am. Good muscle car for $30k

'6? Jag XK Coupe. One of my favorites from GT4, does well in it's class

'06 Mustang GT. It's a 'Stang, duh.

'71 Challenger. Old school Hemi, can keep up w/ the Jag.

Shelby GT500. Old school 'Stang, duh.

AC 289. Direct predecessor to the Shelby Cobra, this car moves & is the first time I've seen decent handling in a game.

Dodge Viper SR10. Just not my favorite but still handles better than cars in other games, needs tuned.

Lotus Espirit V8. Bargain @ $50k. Tune to max performance for another $65k.

My favorite so far is the Shelby Daytona Coupe ($1 mil).

Short version, great game for under $20.

The Orange Box for like $30 over at EB. Doesn't matter as long as the game is under regular price of games, it's a kickass deal because of the number of games you get.

Also TF2 for $20 bucks, gonna get it for PC pretty soon and the game is great plus Valve releases huge free updates every once in a while for each class so you get your moneys worth.

Just Cause. 4 GBP, not bad. Lets just say that for a pretty old dog, it still plays very nicely. It's a bit different from GTA, but it does it's job as a clone well, and is actually enjoyable. There's no faults it has that SA doesn't, and there's some pretty sweet features in there too. (You can call a heli to come extract you from a situation, and drop you back at your safehouse)

Haven't tried freeroaming rampages yet, map isn't familiar enough, but i will, soon. :D

I played around w/ the XBL demo for that, looks promising.

Does this topic reflect current gen games, or the generation before?

Any platform is fair game. The only requirements are they're decent to play & under $20 (Orange Box will count as that's

3 games for $30 or $10 a game). New or old release, used etc okay. My purpose here is to point people to games that

aren't a waste of $$$.

Give a price, source & quick note on what you liked about it.

Took a little break from TDU & got back to playing Saint's row but I've got a few good achievements & love the Ford GT I

just picked up & tuned. Found a class B time trial that takes about 20 minutes to complete but pays $150k.

Suppose I might as well say I just got the Medieval for the PS1 today. It's quite old, early 90's mid 90's but really it is a great game. If you have enough heart in you, you should be able to forget about the outdated graphics. :P

It's fairly long, fun storyline, and actually pretty difficult.

Barely cost anything nowadays too.

^ ahhh i remember that game. i had the demo for it, was so cool lol.

world of nfs at amazon. i havent bought this, but it looks like good value. The Need for Speed package comes with NFS Hot Pursuit2, Underground, Porsche, and High Stakes, which i think is decent value.

NFS hot pursuit 2 is a pretty good game, you can mod it too. Underground 1 was good but not as good as underground 2 (no freeroam, but still has lots of cars). Porsche unleashed, i never played, and high stakes i hardly remember.

i think this package is good, because if you like tuner cars (eg nissan skyline, toyota supra) you are catered for in underground, but if you prefer exotic racers like ferrari F50, mclaren F1, you are covered in hot pursuit 2. hot pursuit 2 also has other cool cars like corvette, holden monaro, ford TS50 (falcon), lotus elise, mustang cobra R carlist you can also choose from 9 cop cars, which is pretty cool.

i'd buy this if i didnt have underground and hot pursuit 2 already.

Edited by WRX22B1998

^ ahhh i remember that game. i had the demo for it, was so cool lol.

world of nfs at amazon. i havent bought this, but it looks like good value. The Need for Speed package comes with NFS Hot Pursuit2, Underground, Porsche, and High Stakes, which i think is decent value.

NFS hot pursuit 2 is a pretty good game, you can mod it too. Underground 1 was good but not as good as underground 2 (no freeroam, but still has lots of cars). Porsche unleashed, i never played, and high stakes i hardly remember.

i think this package is good, because if you like tuner cars (eg nissan skyline, toyota supra) you are catered for in underground, but if you prefer exotic racers like ferrari F50, mclaren F1, you are covered in hot pursuit 2. hot pursuit 2 also has other cool cars like corvette, holden monaro, ford TS50 (falcon), lotus elise, mustang cobra R carlist you can also choose from 9 cop cars, which is pretty cool.

i'd buy this if i didnt have underground and hot pursuit 2 already.

Yeah, honestly it is a GREAT game. That nfs package seems pretty nice too, considering I love the OLD ones, yet don't own any of them. I could definitley get into those, it'll make me use my PS2 a little more....

Edited by Nate14

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted in the PS3 thread. The PS3 Platinum range is good quality, considering it's a launch line-up. Ratchet & Clank is a great game to get, I bought it today. Other games I saw for £20 in HMV include Dark Sector, which is really worth picking up. It's like a hybrid of Resi 4 and Gears of War, with the ability to literally cut your opponents into pieces with your Glaive, a sort of Batarang device.

This is the Platinum range:

* Assassin's Creed

* The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition

* FIFA 08

* Folklore

* Formula One Championship Edition

* Genji: Days of the Blade

* Heavenly Sword

* Lair

* MotorStorm

* Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

* Resistance: Fall of Man

* Ridge Racer 7

* Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

* Virtua Tennis 3

* WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2008

The ones that are bold I recommend to anyone with a PS3. Remember, on Amazon, pre-owned versions of those will be going for under £10, so bear that in mind. I made a snapshot decision to get it in the shop, but online is cheaper and the better choice.

• 2 weeks later...
2 Months ago I got the sims 2 for £4 and rainbow 6: Vegas 2 for £6!!!!!!!1

Ahhh. yes, The Sims(1 and 2) is amazing. Just got The Sims 2 on the computer, love it. Basically from 6 years old to 10 years old, I played the original Sims games nonstop. I played The Sims Online too. :P

Edited by Nate14

• 2 weeks later...