Tennis

MishoM

I thought we could use a proper topic for discussing tennis since the other one was really just about Wimboldon and we all rambled on in general about tennis, so I thought it deserved one. Below are the top 10 players in both mens and womens singles.

Top 10 men as of August 18, 2008:

1. es.gif Rafael Nadal

2. ch.gif Roger Federer

3. rs.gif Novak Djoković

4. es.gif David Ferrer

5. ru.gif Nikolay Davydenko

6. gb.gif Andy Murray

7. ar.gif David Nalbandian

8. us.gif Andy Roddick

9. us.gif James Blake

10. ch.gif Stanislas Wawrinka

Top 10 women as of August 18, 2008:

1. rs.gif Ana Ivanović

2. rs.gif Jelena Janković

3. ru.gif Svetlana Kuznetsova

4. us.gif Serena Williams

5. ru.gif Elena Dementieva

6. ru.gif Maria Sharapova

7. ru.gif Dinara Safina

8. us.gif Venus Williams

9. ru.gif Vera Zvonareva

10. pl.gif Agnieszka Radwańska

So who's everyone's favorite? What's everyone's prediction for the U.S. Open which starts up tomorrow (Aug. 25)? Let's talk tennis! :-)

Serbia FTW! No seriously I think they have a great chance at the US Open. Djokovic or Nadal for the mens title and Jankovic or one of the Williams sisters for the womens title. I would like Ivanovic to win it but I'm not sure she's on form at the moment, not competing at the Olympics etc.

At the moment;

Players I like watching in the mens are: Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Janko Tipsarevic and Marcos Baghdatis

And in the womens: Jelena Jankovic, Ana Ivanovic, Daniela Hantuchova, Caroline Wozniacki, Maria Kirilenko and Jie Zheng

I was at the mall earlier actually and went into the bookstore, they had Tennis magazine, and it had U.S. Open predictions. They predicted Djokovic for the mens title, and I believe Ivanovic for the womens!

Funny thing is... That's exactly what I want! :-) And yeah, Serbia ftw in the top 10s (especially for such a small country), hopefully we get at least one title at the U.S. Open! And of course... Hopefully we'll get some more impressions...!

Federer has a big test in this competition especially after losing in the French Open final and Wimbledon final to Nadal. For me this could have a big effect on his mind and might make him play badly. Nadal is favourite but sometimes that can work against him and he might be lethargic in the opening games.

For the mens I will be tipping Federer to bounce back from this years dissapointments. I dont watch womens tennis really.

Federer has a big test in this competition especially after losing in the French Open final and Wimbledon final to Nadal. For me this could have a big effect on his mind and might make him play badly. Nadal is favourite but sometimes that can work against him and he might be lethargic in the opening games.

For the mens I will be tipping Federer to bounce back from this years dissapointments. I dont watch womens tennis really.

I predict a Djokovic win, against Nadal since they're on opposites sides of the draw. On Djokovic's side, I'm seeing an epic semi-finals match against Federer. If Djokovic wins the U.S. Open he'll be the new world number 2, I think that alone will push him to capture his first U.S. Open title.

• 2 weeks later...
Andy Murray lost. Fuck. But he did so awesome to get to the final, beating Nadal and everyone else. He's already doing better than Henman which is great to see.

Andy Murray is a great player but he's still too young. Anyway, I loved the fact Nadal got his ass kicked :lol:

Federer seems to be playing way better too. Nadal's fucked.

• 2 months later...

bump :)

Novak Djokovic just won the Master's Cup in Shanghai, it was awesome, he beat Russia's Davydenko 6-1, 7-5. Great match, Federer better watch out next year, looks like Djokovic might be taking his spot! "The final victory earns Djokovic 50 points in the ATP 2008 Race and takes him to within just two points of second-placed Roger Federer at the season end."

Also in doubles, Zimonjic and his partner won, and so Zimonjic is now world #1 in the individual doubles rankings.

:)!

Yeah I do, my serve is decent. I've really made huge improvement on aiming, and my backhand. One advantage I have is that I'm actually very skinny, and thus can run really fast. I can make it from one side of the court to the other quite fast, which can really give you the upper-hand.

Probably because he's Croatian.

No I used to play tennis. Haven't played for years though, don't have any friends who do which is a shame. It's such a well known sport which is really unpopular for some reason.

I watch it on TV whenever I can except that's rare because they don't show it on any of the free TV channels in England, except when Wimbledon is on. Murray did awesome in the Shanghai Master's though, shame he lost to Davydenko. I'm glad Djokovic won though, by the sounds of it he deserved it. And he's a decent player anyway.