WIP: Tenpenny Stories

JAB HacksouL

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work indeed. How many missions you plan on doing?

I don't know at this point somewhere between 10 and infinity.

I thought this mod would have gone dead by now, but I was wrong.

and haha your little brother is taller than you, how tall are you both? :P

Yes, and you can't play because I don't like you anymore! :P

Dang, too late. It would of been kewl if you added the begining of this video as a cut-scene ( When Pulaski and Tenpenny talk about Dinkle Berry. )

My brother used audio clips from the introduction and is still looking through the movies that Mr. Jackson plays in BTW he has a new movie out 9/19 where he plays a good cop but a lousy neighbor.

Can't wait to see the scripting for this. It'll maybe help me learn how to get started with my own scripts :D

WAIT NO MORE HERE IS MISSION 1 beta 0.01

Download Link Size - 9.19 MB (due to sound files)

Please download "Alci's GUI Front End" to install sound files. Download Here.

This is the first mission in a series of stories that parallel the CJ missions. PLEASE make back ups!

JAB B)

Lol, I can't get it to change the audio file.. It says cannot replace...

I have tried Uninstalling and reinstalling the game, moving the Audio ile to desktop, and now it says cannot Find ...

I have played the misssion without it and it was cool, but there are no subs so I don't know what is supposed to be happening. If you could change your audio folder, and post them up somewhere so I can replace mine, i would appreciate it. I am using Vista

However you have worked vry well on this, The mission was great 10/10. Please post your GTA SA Audio file with the New Audio Tracks in Please. Thanks.

Edited by Butters!

I have tried Uninstalling and reinstalling the game, moving the Audio ile to desktop, and now it says cannot Find ...

I have played the misssion without it and it was cool, but there are no subs so I don't know what is supposed to be happening. If you could change your audio folder, and post them up somewhere so I can replace mine, i would appreciate it. I am using Vista

However you have worked vry well on this, The mission was great 10/10. Please post your GTA SA Audio file with the New Audio Tracks in Please. Thanks.

Well ToonSkull is in charge of the audio I will forward your complaints. Did you download and install Alci's GUI? There is also a tutorial on how to install the audio files using the GUI. ToonSkull is at the mall right now but should be back in about an hour.

JAB B)

You probably need to set your current folder off 'Read Only' then try to replace...

Whoa don't reinstall the game! It can't be that serious. I can only go over the XP aspects on this my Grandpa has Vista but I doubt he'd like us messing with his PC. IF YOU CAN please post as much detail as you can about the error but it sounds like it maybe that either 1. You have your game running or 3. The file is copy protected? Now looking at Google for answers...

This link goes in depth on how to operate SAAT at the command prompt:

http://pdescobar.home.comcast.net/~pdescobar/gta/saat/

Back on June 8th a user by the handle Gvforces had the same problem:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...5049&st=280

But he fails to tell us how he fixed it. :bashhead:

Finally here is support from MS on this subject:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...c973031033.mspx

I will check back and see how you are doing on this. The reason we don't put the SCRIPT audio in the zip the download would be 320 MB and that would take a while to download and even longer to upload. I am working on a no brainer audio patch If you care to try that when I get it finished. We are trying to use as much from the in game audio as we can it will save us tons of space that way.

BTW after the mission you can recruit your two men using RMB+G and then get a few stars and they will blow the cops away chasing you. Josh set their health up to 1500 each but don't get 3 stars or the helicopters will cut you down.

HAVE FUN!

Okay, I think the audio problam is down to windows Vista. So anyone that has it wil probably get this trouble. I have installed the Audio thingy, and I can open the files, and change the audio to Tenpennys. But when I try to Save it, it says. Error Cannot find C://Users.../audio... and so on. I have tinkered around with the audio scripts a bit, and now it says Error, Failed to replace old audio script (or somthing like this). I am guessing this is due to the audio being a read only. But when I try and change the audio folder to be editable, nothing happens because I don't know how to bypass all this securiy. If I find a sollution I will post it up here!

Neh! Just make sure you set the folder OFF 'Read Only' then it let's you replace the folder. And also check if all the files and folders inside it have that same option ticked off.

By default the read only value is on (The weird square in the checkbox) and you have to click it once or twice til there is nothing in the checkbox... Teehee! (Random)

If you don't know how to change read only then you should really go and read the manual :P Just right click the folder and click properties. On the new box or on one of the tabs of it, it'll have the read only option. You know how to click right? :D

Edited by Deji

Okay.

WINDOWS VISTA TROUBLE SHOOTING:

To start off, Make a Rockstar Games folder on your Desktop, you can change the icon if you like, so It has the R* Logo. You should install GTA San Andreas to your desktop if you are using Vista(it only works on desktop, due to Vistas Security Systems). Put it in the R* Games folder. Make the Audio Script files, and Banklkup Audio files Not Read Only. Now replace the sound. Replace the main and script in DATA. Now play.

Problams which you should work on:

There is no brief, explaining that you have to kill Pendelberry.

There is only background noise when Pendleberry is not speaking.

If you die or fail the mission, you have to start a new game.

When you kill Pendleberry you end up by ocean docks.

Hernadez points the gun at Tenpenny.

Niether gun Flashes when they shoot.

Your Police Car is floating when you finish the mission.

When you finish, ther are no More Missions.

You cannot start the cutscene where CJ comes to San Andreas.

When you are Injured, tenpenny sounds like CJ.

Hernandez and Pulaski act as normal cops, and shoot you if you fire in the air.

The map legend says Pendleberry is a Friend.

Some lady was punching Pendleberry in the cutscene.

It shows a headsho of Tenpeny when Pendleberry starts speaking.

There is no way to become CJ again.

Besides this, I think you have worked well. I really enjoyed te Mission. You do have to start a new game to play this mission don't you?

PS>>> I Have had a new Idea, that I will PM to you!!

Edited by Butters!

Wow! Very nice mod ToonSkull, and Jab. :)

Thanks, I was the sound and I am helping with the dialogs of the missions. Believe it or not Josh just started scripting 2 weeks ago. This is his first mission mod, before this he mainly repainted cars and did some conversions. So I'd say some where around Thanksgiving you'll have the full story.

Okay.

WINDOWS VISTA TROUBLE SHOOTING:

To start off, Make a Rockstar Games folder on your Desktop, you can change the icon if you like, so It has the R* Logo. You should install GTA San Andreas to your desktop if you are using Vista(it only works on desktop, due to Vistas Security Systems). Put it in the R* Games folder. Make the Audio Script files, and Banklkup Audio files Not Read Only. Now replace the sound. Replace the main and script in DATA. Now play.

I am real glad you got it working because I couldn't get the patch going at all. :thumbsdown:

Problams which you should work on:

1. There is no brief, explaining that you have to kill Pendelberry.
  2. There is only background noise when Pendleberry is not speaking.
  3. If you die or fail the mission, you have to start a new game.
  4. When you kill Pendleberry you end up by ocean docks.
  5. Hernadez points the gun at Tenpenny.
  6. Niether gun Flashes when they shoot.
  7. Your Police Car is floating when you finish the mission.
  8. When you finish, ther are no More Missions.
  9. You cannot start the cutscene where CJ comes to San Andreas.
  10. When you are Injured, tenpenny sounds like CJ.
  11. Hernandez and Pulaski act as normal cops, and shoot you if you fire in the air.
  12. The map legend says Pendleberry is a Friend.
  13. Some lady was punching Pendleberry in the cutscene.
  14. It shows a headsho of Tenpeny when Pendleberry starts speaking.
  15. There is no way to become CJ again.

Besides this, I think you have worked well. I really enjoyed te Mission. You do have to start a new game to play this mission don't you?

PS>>> I Have had a new Idea, that I will PM to you!!

1. To make the text boxes we are editing the file in folder text/american.gxt so that will be in the final release.
  2. Like I said in the "ignore this.txt" my Dad did pendelbury while in a noisy airport and people were looking at him oddly.
  3. We plan to make the mission restart by having you return to a red ring at the police station. It will skip to the chase.
  4. We assume he is not really dead (even though you can blow his head off) that they take him there to finish him off.
  5. Josh says he has told the actor3 to point at actor1 but for some weird reason he still did this it will get fixed.
  6. More stuff that if you look over the script it tells both men to aim and fire at actor1.
  7. Only sometimes the car is put there but for some reason the z variable gets messed up.
  8. Ah freedom... We are going to have the next mission appear at the station. Also where you will save.
  9. To play the original game you will need to place the back ups of the MAIN.SCM, SCRIPT.IMG and SCRIPT back.
  10. This is audio in the SPC_PA audio file. There are 20 sound banks and 128 wav files in just the first bank.
  11. You can recruit them once the mission is over, I am certain Josh made them grove.
  12. Noted.
  13. Now that is funny.
  14. Well I am sure Josh will have the cut scenes all redone before he releases it.
  15. Yes, there is no way to become CJ again unless you read number 9.

Thanks Again, I am glad someone is playing this and having comments about it (good or bad) means you care. We will pop in and out to check if anyone has found a better way to make something work. For example, I would love a way to make CJ sound like Tenpenny without having to rebuild that whole SPC_PA file. Or maybe you could tell Josh why the cop car is hovering 6 feet off the ground. Also Josh says he uploaded the beta mission to this site it is waiting for approval. One site rejected it for being a beta and not the full version. It's not like he is releasing a hundred betas out there but we won't force it on anyone. After I played it, I told him it is hard just to knock him off his bike and maybe that should be the objective of this mission.

Thanks Again, I am glad someone is playing this and having comments about it (good or bad) means you care. We will pop in and out to check if anyone has found a better way to make something work. For example, I would love a way to make CJ sound like Tenpenny without having to rebuild that whole SPC_PA file. Or maybe you could tell Josh why the cop car is hovering 6 feet off the ground. Also Josh says he uploaded the beta mission to this site it is waiting for approval. One site rejected it for being a beta and not the full version. It's not like he is releasing a hundred betas out there but we won't force it on anyone. After I played it, I told him it is hard just to knock him off his bike and maybe that should be the objective of this mission.

Great! I am not sure if this is from this mission or not, but when I drove Tenpennys car away after Killing Pendleburry, I heard muffling sounds, possibly coming from his car. Strange...

His car might be floating, because this is where the cutscene is set, so Unless you kill him at the exact right location, you are move across the game, and when you placed his car down, you may not have put it in the right place accidently setting the spawn hieght to 6), even though I am sure it should drop down anyway. It doesnt matter, as you can get in it, and it drops down. Also for the final version, you could make it so that Hernadez and Pulaski hang out around the Police Station, so youi can easily find them to recruit.

I havent tried, butdid you make all Islands accesable, so you can go to Las Venturas without typing in Never Wanted?

I have PMed JABHacksoul with a new mision Idea, so as not to gve it away...

Try this, replace Hernandez & Pulaski w/ CJ's homies (game already has 2 "lost" homies, just re-skin them as the cops).

Next item is to set police attention to off for the mission. "Reuniting the Families" has this feature although I'm not sure

of the coding.

It occurs that if you guys wanted to, you could make a mission before that one where you obtain the green Saber &

dress up as Ballas for the drive-by on CJ's mom. After shooting, you have to escape Sweet & a load of pissed OGFs.

Pendleburry is in the wrong place at the wrong time & sees Tenpenny get out of the car as the report goes over police

radio & figures out what they just did, giving Tenpenny motive, means & opportunity. They wait a few days to get rid

of the body & decide to set up CJ (Pendleburry is kept in a freezer & disposed of at a scrap yard) when they find out

he's coming back to LS.

You guys are going a lot further than I've had time to, keep up the great work.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

Great! I am not sure if this is from this mission or not, but when I drove Tenpennys car away after Killing Pendleburry, I heard muffling sounds, possibly coming from his car. Strange...

We noticed that too I think it is the sound files getting messed up with the tires squeeling? Don't know at this point but at least it doesn't crash the game. :)

Try this, replace Hernandez & Pulaski w/ CJ's homies (game already has 2 "lost" homies, just re-skin them as the cops).

Next item is to set police attention to off for the mission. "Reuniting the Families" has this feature although I'm not sure

of the coding.

There is no skinning required. This mission script loads both Hernandez & Pulaski as grove street gang. After the mission they abanndon the car. But if you approach them and using the G button you can recruit them and they will follow. Also Josh says, that the CRASH cop car has bulletproof tires on it. The plate reads CRASH and all this is done with the SCM script no fiddling around with the graphics.

It occurs that if you guys wanted to, you could make a mission before that one where you obtain the green Saber &

dress up as Ballas for the drive-by on CJ's mom. After shooting, you have to escape Sweet & a load of pissed OGFs.

Actually that was Ballas not the cops. Tenpenny hired them to make the hit. You can see the video on youtube where the Ballas are smoking pot and discussing it as Tenpenny and Pulaski drive off. The hit was supposed to take out Sweet but they nailed his Mom instead.

Pendleburry is kept in a freezer & disposed of at a scrap yard

You guys are going a lot further than I've had time to, keep up the great work.

Pendelbury was shot 10 minutes prior to CJ arrival and when they dumped him in Ballas turf you can hear them get the radio call "Officer Pendelbury is down" not enough time to freezer the corpse. But I am no expert, infact I sometimes have trouble keeping the characters together.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying it, right now my brother is enjoying his sleep and should be on in 6 to 8 hours.

Edited by ToonSkull

Thanks everyone I am busy making missions here is what I am working on currently:

Bar addons besides playing pool, you can:

1. Buy a drink and get drunk vision for 5 to 6 minutes.
  2. Pick up a hooker or barfly.
  3. Get into a fight and win money (like Fight Club)

• King of the hill - Like in the R* game Warriors
  • A multitude of high speed chases.
  • You will get a paycheck at the station on Friday.
  • Save game location at your house and any police station.
  • New locations for pickups (horse shoses, oysters, etc.)

I am thinking the tag mission should be changed but haven't come up with a replacement. I was thinking of removing the tags but that's not quite possible. Most of us know by heart where they are located.

Got to get to school I am running late.

Thanks everyone I am busy making missions here is what I am working on currently:

Bar addons besides playing pool, you can:

1. Buy a drink and get drunk vision for 5 to 6 minutes.
  2. Pick up a hooker or barfly.
  3. Get into a fight and win money (like Fight Club)

• King of the hill - Like in the R* game Warriors
  • A multitude of high speed chases.
  • You will get a paycheck at the station on Friday.
  • Save game location at your house and any police station.
  • New locations for pickups (horse shoses, oysters, etc.)

Ahh maybe I could help with some of those things... I just made a mod where you can get drunk by pressing buttons to consume alcohol... So if you want some help with those types of things I'd gladly do that :D

It'd also give me a chance to learn a bit more about main.scm coding. If you want to see my first real advanced coding mod then just look here: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/15/1867763/Fun_Mod.zip :D (YOUTUBE DEMO: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9G0orFS01M)

It's a little buggy at times but I think that'd get better if I coded it from the top a few times :rolleyes:

I am experienced in spawning things (Check out my 'Ryders Lawn' mod some day) and assigning new buttons to animations and adding effects... Blah blah. I can also mod animations, maps, data files... Lots of things.

When I mod in main.scm I don't really know what to do to be honest. I just manage to be able to find out by looking at the original main.scm and revising through the tuts I read before I started modding ;)

Edited by Deji

Tenpenny gets a "shit detail" to clean up the gang tags.

As for dead cop in freezer, consider that creative license. They only told CJ the cop was killed "10 minutes ago".

Didn't know someone made a video of the deal w/ the Ballas, was just thinking out loud.

When you guys get done w/ this project, are you interested in doing others?

Tenpenny gets a "shit detail" to clean up the gang tags.

I am a firm believer that there is no good vs evil only shades of gray. So yes I am trying to show that Tenpenny wasn't all bad. Even people we think of as "bad guys" are doing right by their people and family. Atilla the Hun was a notorious warlord of China. So if you were one of his people you wouldn't view him as a "bad guy" but if you were in one of the villages he attacked you would see him as the "bad guy".

As for dead cop in freezer, consider that creative license. They only told CJ the cop was killed "10 minutes ago".

Didn't know someone made a video of the deal w/ the Ballas, was just thinking out loud.

Hey don't feel bad, I didn't either, until my brother showed it to me on youtube. It is like a 20 minute long intro of crap that happens before you start the game. Most game players won't sit through a 3 minute cutscene I can't imagine them sitting through a 20 minute cutscene. I was just going to have Tenpenny shot Pendelbury and that is that but my brother Josh said no you can't because of this video by rockstar. I was like ok but after you hear the shot it cuts away so I let Tenpenny finish the unfinished job. Mainly my job on this project is to get enough Samuel L Jackson sound clips spliced together to alter the main character from CJ to Tenpenny. I have a cool story I am working on about the Zombotech Building. Josh didn't like the idea of zombies in GTA but I told him there is a building and I must put it to good use.

When you guys get done w/ this project, are you interested in doing others?

Right now Josh and the rest of my family are sick with some kind of virus. I got a little sick but Mom is the worst. Josh looks like he might make it to school in the morning maybe. Dad dived into the vodka and OJ and hasn't come out yet. It's good he only drinks when he is sick or I don't think he would ever get any work done. I believe Josh would like to continue modding GTA as for me I have other plans to continue making my bad movies on youtube. One more season of Evol Child and then I plan to move on to live action filming and special effects.

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like this is pulling together great, can't wait too see the final product.

ETA Late November to mid December.

Here are some more screen shots with comments...

hjpdthwaaf.thumb500.jpg

I now have the saved game feature working inside the police station.

uomcpjbksn.thumb500.jpg

pwdcpyikwa.thumb500.jpg

I have worked out many car chase missions dealing with multiple support units in high speed chases.

mvajbmocew.thumb500.jpg

With explosive results.

evvnsurcxf.thumb500.jpg

Here you can see CJ getting into the cab at the airport. I found out it is hard to get someone else to play CJ.

ayapoemdbe.thumb500.jpg

But at the end of the day and job is done...

gisyswbezw.thumb500.jpg

it will be Miller time go pop open a cold one.

Like I said, around Late November to mid December mark your calendars! Tenpenny Stories will be a reality!

JAB B)

Edited by JAB HacksouL

• 2 weeks later...

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE!!

Tenpenny DEMO mission - Double Boom Download here

The reason for this post is not to bump up my topic, but I need player input on this mission (too hard or too soft). Also I want you to know and see, there is much progress being made. This is not a wannabe project or that I am full of a lot of hot air. This mission is about the 5th or 6th in the story. You will start at the station, proceed to the marker. In the finished mission there is a cut scene but I don't have it 100% so you will be taken right into the action. I only hope your driving skills are up to a challenge.

Well got to get back at it.

JAB B)