WIP: Tenpenny Stories

JAB HacksouL

Eh, sorry man. I've been in bad mood lately.

That's ok, I have been there myself. I play GTA to release my aggression, but my mom says it causes it. But here is something that will cheer you up. Today is 12/16/08 and I have over half the missions coded with subtitles and text. I kind of wish I had done this prior to completely merging them all in one SCM file.

Two days ago, I was on the verge of suicide when the drive I keep my files on my Dad's server when down. My Dad had it back up and running in just two hours. The drive is or was a 300 GB USB drive. The USB card on that drive toasted itself and fixed it making it internal now. So no data lost on the drive. I am doing backups to my local C: drive almost daily now. I just got up to go to school and the outside temp is 9 degrees F or -12 C. So I better go get the car warmed up.

Cya!

JAB B)

Damn it my brother is logged in... >.<

Edited by ToonSkull

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is cold ---send us heat via email--- thanks.

Vincent here just an FYI, JABhacksoul my brother Josh had me testing the finished game mod out and there is a bug that caused the game while I was using the fire support on a vigilanti mission. So the release is delayed do to the game bug. We want to give the people here a quality finished release not something that a dozen or more will be saying sucks because of bugs. This is the only one to show up and I am thinking Josh should have it fixed quickly. But right now he is at a Christmas party and doesn't even know about this yet.

JAB cool.gif

Damn it my brother is logged in... pinch.gif

I guess I better remember to log off. :lol:

Merry Christmas.

Working on it people! :'( Unfortunately this kind of bug is the hard to find because the code compiles just fine and the game never crashes in the same place but it is definitely in my fire support. :unsure:

So until I know better this could take some time. Was hoping to come here tonight and tell you that it was ready to download.

JAB B)

• 5 weeks later...
its a wip their might be a dl somewhere in this topic to play one mission

It is my brother's project, he and I are working on exams this week at school. You can get updated on the project status here on his about me page.

I did all the audio and worked out some of the mission plots. He did the coding 100%. I told him he should just release the thing as a beta version but long story short he found some bugs so my brother (Mr. Perfection) is still polishing it with a diaper. He has roughly 15 or more missions + sides but I can beat this in a very short time. He mainly wants people to know how to code new missions because there is a serious lack of mission addon packs. There seems to be tons of addons if you want CJ to piss purple in a snowbank but no real new missions. I think I will talk to him when he gets home tonight about a prerelease or something.

• 3 months later...
its a wip their might be a dl somewhere in this topic to play one mission

He mainly wants people to know how to code new missions because there is a serious lack of mission addon packs. There seems to be tons of addons if you want CJ to piss purple in a snowbank but no real new missions. I think I will talk to him when he gets home tonight about a prerelease or something.

Glad to hear, there are few extra missions packs out there. I hope this will mean even I'll understand how to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the slowness of this project but my brother is working on the last few missions. He decided he wanted the "complete vision" and not a rush job. He had a few set backs, bugs, poor grades at school, new PC, etc.. We're both off for the summer and I promise you won't be disappointed by this package. He has 19 or 20 missions I think.

Again to explain it, this is the story from the view if you were Tenpenny. In a way I am responsible for getting this started. We were just talking about what the heck Tenpenny was up to when he wasn't hassling CJ? Our story starts just prior to CJ arrival at the airport. As for my part in all of this I snaggged a few of Samuel L Jacksons famous movie lines to make it a bit more entertaining. I also wrote some plots but had no part of the coding. Joshua gets that headache. I told him to just release a "lite" version but he wants everyone to get the big picture.

ETA is unknown at this time but is not a dead project.

Glad to see this project isn't dead, still looking forward to it coming out =)

I might be a bit bias being so close to his project and all but I was thinking it was so good I might actually play the game someday. :lolbounce: Seriously I haven't even finish Vice City. >.< I mean I know the whole storyline from him ALWAYS playing the games to death but I think I beat GTA III once and that's about it. Good place I chose hang out huh?

Mabey you should have a mission before that with killing pendilberry. that would be killing Cj's mom with The "green Saber"

Tennpenny didn't do that - He ordered it, so it would be a pretty boring mission.

Yep, he hired some Ballas to kill Sweet but they missed. But most people haven't seen the 20 minute video that Rockstar made to promote the game. I know I didn't see it until Josh started his mod. I think there are still some copies floating around YouTube. I don't know of any "official" versions available from Rockstar.

I just popped in to tell you that Josh is working on the GTX aka the subtitles. Which is kind of a slow process he has to type it into the GTX editor save it run the game and see if the text shows up in the correct places. All the missions are done and playable but kind of dumb if you don't have the popup boxes giving you instructions or the people saying the correct thing at the right moment. His "King of the Hill" mission was giving him grief not showing you how much money you made when you beat the mission. Little crap like that can make a mod look like you just don't care. He wanted to have his save game filenames custom so far they all save as "In the Beginning" which I told him is ok he is just nit picking. I will try to keep you posted each FRIDAY from here on out as progress reports until the release. The release is going to be 2 types a PRO and a JOE. The JOE release is going to be a huge download but the easiest to install. The PRO will be smallest but require you to compile your files.

See ya next Friday!

Are you gonna go right up to the end mission where you have to drive away from CJ and Sweet in a firetruck? :P That'd be pretty cool and fun to remake.

Yep, the last mission he had me try it but I couldn't beat it. It is exactly the same just reversed roles and kind of a check point race style with CJ chasing you and Sweet flopping around on the ladder. You're going to love his cut scene at the end.

I better not say too much, but I mean it's a given that has to be the final mission. There are other missions that cross-over, we explain why Tenpenny was so hot to tip Carl off about Gray Imports. The 5th mission will explain it. We show how he got involved with Truth, and of course there is that assassination mission on the Federal Witness.

Instead of recruting gang members or other cops. You can drive to Jims Rings and pick up Hernandez and Pulaski. They will shoot at anything that poses a "threat" even cops. You can't take them on missions unless they are part of the mission storyline. They are both dead after a certain point in the story.

We both hope this mod pack will both entertain and educate people on how to make missions of their own. I know there are a lot of mods "out there" but it just seems to be lack of good storyline. Well right now I am playing VC Stories on my PS2 (rental game) so I better go finish.

:w00t::dribble::lolbounce::coolthumbup: Really needing something new, can't wait to see the final product. On a side note, RS could learn a lot if they just had there people watching these types of sites. The end result would be downloadable missions that keep with the flow of the game. I know that they kinda did that with GTAIV "The Chinatown Wars" or whatever it was called, but I wanted it to more linear with Nikko's story and beable to switch between the characters, have added more outfits that Nikko could buy, new cars, MOD SHOP!, custom make your stuff, errr. There I go again, ok I'm done so off topic.

Hello,

As promised an update on our progress; I have been using pdescobar's audio Script guide to reduced the size of our audio. Now most of you who use SAAT to edit your audio know, the SCRIPT audio file is about 304MB and when you replace audio it tends to get bigger or smaller. Since our mod doesn't require a lot of the mission audio banks I went through bank by bank and blanked the ones with original mission dialog.

What this means, I replaced a great deal of files with a short silence of 2.38 KB each. This alone has reduced the file greatly in size. It is about 80MB now but I am still looking for other items to blank out. One of the largest banks is the first "Place names for crime reports". But this one is needed if we are inside a police car.

You only need to worry about this size issue if you are planning on getting the JOE distribution. However it will be the easy install. The PRO distro contains roughly around 10MB of audio files you must inject into your scipt using SAAT. I of course suggest you use Alci's GUI to do that.

Now as for my brother Joshua, he regrets NOT adding his info text and subtitles to his missions prior to finishing them. He is still plugging away at the American.GXT file. It is not so much that you must type word for word the dialog but you must place it at the right spot and display it long enough to be read. From my point of view the missions are vastly improved when you know your objectives.

In the PRO distro Josh has all the scripts playable in main.scm and has also separated them individually so you don't have to load everything to study how just one mission functions.

Also I got his permission to post his mission list:

Mission

01. Plug the Leak

02. Catch CJ

03. INFO - Cut Scene explains Donut Shop and CRASH cars.

04. Cleaning the Hood - ALT version demo how to mod R* missions.

05. King of the Hill

06. Gray Exports

07. Double Boom!

08. Path of the Snake

09. Search for the Truth

10. Epsilon Cult

11. Hostage Hotel

12. Zombotech

13. Derby Madness

14. Chinese Steak

15. Jefferson Airplane

16. Flying Elvis

17. Donuts From Hell

18. Court Room Riot

19. Death of CJ

20. Finale - A surprise playable ending.

A. Donuts - Pick up Hernandez and Pulaski at Donut Shop

B. Coffee - Dismiss Hernandez and Pulaski

A note from Josh (Jabhacksoul): I fully intend to have it done and uploaded this summer, I fell behind so bad at school... ok I have less credits than my brother who is in the 10th grade and I am in the 12th. My Dad is more understanding than Mom who wanted to ship me off to the army. I lost my girl (she was hot) to another guy (the emo freak) and got real depressed and blew off a lot of activities. But I am over that now. My Mom wants me to get a part-time job and work the summer like I did last summer. Dad says, Whatever... I think I will do whatever. Actually I will be helping my Dad around the house and that means more time on the PC. Over 50% of the list above is 100% completed. Because we farted up the script using the Tenpenny mesh in place of Carl Johnson I still have a bug with Tenpenny eating at the restaurants. Since the missions are not depending on you eating I am not going to worry about it. But if pretzel boy shows his ugly head just run to the nearest save game point and it should fix it.

reason for edit: I had mission 8 and 9 flipped. :P

Edited by ToonSkull

My brother is sleeping so I will give you the "Weekend Update". I made a lot of progress not only adding the subtitles and instructions to this mod, I have improved some of the missions as well.

@Butters!: Yes, we are going to explore some of the SA myths. In fact, the original title for "Search for the Truth" was going to be called "Invisible as Bigfoot".

I am also taking the time to document my scripts, like this:

:MISSN_09_BEGIN
02A3: enable_widescreen 0
00C0: set_current_time_hours_to 13 minutes_to 59
Camera.Restore_WithJumpCut
Camera.SetBehindPlayer		
01B4: set_player $PLAYER_CHAR can_move true 

//Pulaski and Tenpenny are told to keep up with their vans
//I was going to leave it up to the AI but it doesn't work well.
07F8: car 18@ follow_car 12@ radius 50.0 
07F8: car 19@ follow_car 13@ radius 50.0 

76@ = 0								 //Loop Counter
77@ = 0								 //Random Trip Timer
80@ = 0								 //30 second timer
0@ = 0								  //Van Index
32@ = 0								 //Internal Timer
100@ = Actor.Car($PLAYER_ACTOR)		 //Player Vehicle Flag
$7613 = 0							   //100 second clock Change Car
0209: 75@ = random_int_in_ranges 0 2	//REAL VAN
03C4: set_status_text $7613 type 1 GXT 'POS12'   
//First main loop to eliminate the decoys

so you can tell exactly how each section works.

Once again I hope my mod will entertain as well as educate. For those of you have stated an interest in learning to program missions but don't desire to learn too much about the code, my next project will be done in CLEO. It is going to be an "in game" CLEO mission maker. I have studied some of the CLEO scripting and since opcodes like 0A9E: writefile $hFILE size 128 from 0@ exist. I can see making a script that writes scripts, like robots that build robots.

Well I just popped in to give you an update as ToonSkull promised and let you know I will be working on this ALL weekend only stopping for potty breaks, food, and sleep.

JAB