Future Technology

Harwood Butcher

As time goes on our technology grows rapidly and new ideas are thought up and new products are invented to better our society. At times these ideas and inventions cause chaos and problems for our society, which causes new ideas and inventions to be thought up and created to correct those problems. This so far endless cycle has presented so many different ideas and inventions; it's a little hard to keep track of it all. So I decided to make this topic where we could all discuss new technology that we've heard of before and feel like sharing and talking about with the members of this forum. As a group, we could discuss the pros and cons of all of this new technology and see what the future has in store for us.

To prevent discouragement, I’ll leave some ideas that I’ve heard of out of the topic until the topic begins to get some post.

Health:

Organs: Copy, print, as good as new.

According to futurist, by 2057, our failing organs could be replaced with exact copies of the organ using our own cells. Doctors will literally copy and print our organs to transplant our old failing ones with brand new ones hot off the press, literally.

SOURCE

Please comment and discuss new technology that you've heard of.

2057: "The Body" Part 2(Start video at 8:25)

Part 1

Part 3

Part 4

Edited by Harwood Butcher

What technology? What if we run out of petrol? Back to Middle Age, we're not prepared for alternate fuels.

Wurrr

As for new technology, I like Virtual Reality. No, not those arcade games you play at the mall in which you hold the handle bars of a large hanging object and stare directly into a screen. I mean Matrix-style brain engagement. According to the pedia, Sony has already patented this.

I saw almost all of the 2057 Episodes. I believe it will be hard to have a city as shown in the episodes in 2057.

I don't think we will Rebuild every Building and modernize it. Just look at today, in Los Angeles, there are buildings/houses that are 100 yrs old. Cities like Dubai, located in the Middle East, are building Cities that are way modernize than ours.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Dubai&am...sa=N&tab=wi

As for the Health, Military technology, that's possible.

Edited by Charger

What technology? What if we run out of petrol? Back to Middle Age, we're not prepared for alternate fuels.

no petrol, no vehicles, no vehicles = no transportation = stagnation = no technology

Well first off, we have plenty of other means of transportation that don't need the fuel we're currently using.

Second, we could still continue to create new technology without transportation.

There are such things as electrical vehicles now. It doesn't take much anymore to produce electricity...I mean, we have flashlights that don't even require batteries, just a shake or two and it works. We could definitely use that idea for other things.

Besides that, you do realize we still have Alaska. We either barely drilled there or never have and I bet that there would be enough there to last us until new technology comes out that will make the old way obsolete.

Indeed we must use Sun power more efficiently, also water power.

Did you guy knew that only 1% of the water on Earth is drinkable and about 10% is used ( full capacity ).

How about the Internet? How will it be ... I believe it will still be as important if not more than it is now. Maybe we'd be able to do everything via Internet, we're almost there.

But than there will be less human contact, more obesity, eye diseases etc.

Edited by Gycu X

no petrol, no vehicles, no vehicles = no transportation = stagnation = no technology

...... We can generate electricity using means of water or sun. Wind, even. Furthermore, you have bio-diesel, that isn't petrol. Hydrogen cars....... There's more than that, even. I just don't know/remember them.

we will have trasportation, or we will have 2 use horses agen :lolbounce: , what does trasportation have to do with technology anywayz?

Because transportation is part of our technological advances? Technology doesn't mean electrical machines and computers.

That's a list of alternate fuels that most likely never reach the masses. Know the Brassica oil story? or w/e that plant is called ...

Never to reach the masses...... Unless it's needed to...... If the dire need comes, then it can and will meet the masses.

In terms of pros/cons of technology.... Our own advances that help humanity can and probably will destroy humanity in the end. Regardless of what you do or what anyone does, SOMEONE WILL create self-thinking robotics.... And that IS the downfall. We've seen enough movies about that shit.

In terms of pros/cons of technology.... Our own advances that help humanity can and probably will destroy humanity in the end. Regardless of what you do or what anyone does, SOMEONE WILL create self-thinking robotics.... And that IS the downfall. We've seen enough movies about that shit.

A lot of people bring up the self-thinking robots and the people designing such things right now say that they would learn from each other just like humans do. I'm assuming that these robots would have access to internet where they could learn pretty much everything. If we could make self-thinking robots, we could definitely give them emotions, common sense and human understanding. If the people creating these robots use something like the flawed 5 laws, similar to the ones in the movie iRobot, then they’re fucking idiots. With so much going on about robots taking over in the future, you’d think that the people designing these robots would think all of it through.

As for “evil” people making evil robots, that’s obviously gonna happen. I find that a lot less scary than them having nukes.

But hey, that's your opinion, this is mine.

I know what the future technology is going to be. :lamo: Ten years before I was born, people paid thousands of dollars for a cell phone the size of a brick!! :bashhead: In the 1990's after I was born they reduced the size by 25% and the cost. Now in this decade you can have a bluetooth jammed in your ear and talk to your peeps and honeez while driving your car. :wtf: Next decade the cell phone will be an implant you won't see it but people will look stupid like they are talking to themselves. The implanted cell phones will be a big hit with drug dealers that get in tossed in jail. Kids at school and busy business executives will have them because it gives them the edge. It won't be looked at as surgery but more like body piercing.

Then the decade that follows that will have the internet access on contact lens and glasses. There will be a small microchip implanted directly connected to your brain. Microscopic robots called Nanobots will swim through your body repairing damage from cancer, old age, and even weight control. How do I know this? I read a lot and if you check it out there is a companny who has successfully grown human brain cells on a micro chip. Sound like fun? Well you won't see me getting my brain hacked!! :rofl2:

BTW I disagree with this philosophy.

But if robots do gain self-awareness and the ability to learn, there's a chance of them seeing humans as useless organisms destined to do nothing but destroy themselves and the world around us.

This is projecting human emotions such as fear, greed, and hate into a machine (like they did in the Matrix). The machines would never see us as a threat to them, they would take the logical approach that control could be maintained through serving our every need. That makes them a needed part of our lives. You should read the short story "Some Day" by Ray Bradbury Issac Asimov.

Edited by ToonSkull

Then the decade that follows that will have the internet access on contact lens and glasses. There will be a small microchip implanted directly connected to your brain. Microscopic robots called Nanobots will swim through your body repairing damage from cancer, old age, and even weight control.

Possible, but I don't think it would be permitted. People have to die, if nobody died we would all suffer because the Earth can't sustain a population that never decreases from people dying.

Then the decade that follows that will have the internet access on contact lens and glasses. There will be a small microchip implanted directly connected to your brain. Microscopic robots called Nanobots will swim through your body repairing damage from cancer, old age, and even weight control.

Possible, but I don't think it would be permitted. People have to die, if nobody died we would all suffer because the Earth can't sustain a population that never decreases from people dying.

That's why people shoot each other, blow themselves up, accidents, etc..

That's why people shoot each other, blow themselves up, accidents, etc..

It's not WHY people kill each other, but it does decrease the population, albeit slightly. However, that is not enough to keep the population from exploding like natural death can.

Well could we try to discuss a little more about the technology it self instead of the fate of our society?

There was a special on the Discovery channel the other day about future technology and it discussed this new vehicle that could actually form into different styles, which looked so kick ass when it was forming from one style to the other. Not only that, they're actually working on objects that could literally form it's particles into something else.

There are just so many new things out there that sound so crazy that it's some times hard to believe.

There was actually someone back in the 60s, I think, that said, "Everything that will ever be invented, has been invented." which is a crazy assumption.

Well could we try to discuss a little more about the technology it self instead of the fate of our society?

There was a special on the Discovery channel the other day about future technology and it discussed this new vehicle that could actually form into different styles, which looked so kick ass when it was forming from one style to the other. Not only that, they're actually working on objects that could literally form it's particles into something else.

There are just so many new things out there that sound so crazy that it's some times hard to believe.

There was actually someone back in the 60s, I think, that said, "Everything that will ever be invented, has been invented." which is a crazy assumption.

Well not really if you believe that man's tech level keeps rising and falling. We get real super smart and have a war almost killing the planet then we pull back up to the same level of tech as before. There was a show on the Discovery Channel asking if the Egyptians had electric lights? They showed where they discovered ancient batteries made with clay jars. Then a wall carving of a man holding a staff with a light bulb on the end. The metal filament was a snake and the snake means power.

I have a book here at the house with a model plane found in Egypt and we must remember that the technology was lost on how the pyramids were built. It is there to discover again. I know there are many hair-brained theories on how they got built and who built them all I am saying is if it could be done today then do it. We don't even have a crane big enough to lift those bricks!

Back to my coding...

Well not really if you believe that man's tech level keeps rising and falling. We get real super smart and have a war almost killing the planet then we pull back up to the same level of tech as before. There was a show on the Discovery Channel asking if the Egyptians had electric lights? They showed where they discovered ancient batteries made with clay jars. Then a wall carving of a man holding a staff with a light bulb on the end. The metal filament was a snake and the snake means power.

I have a book here at the house with a model plane found in Egypt and we must remember that the technology was lost on how the pyramids were built. It is there to discover again. I know there are many hair-brained theories on how they got built and who built them all I am saying is if it could be done today then do it. We don't even have a crane big enough to lift those bricks!

Back to my coding...

They got it built with loads of different kinds of pulleys and ramps, very elaborate ones. The Egyptians were very intelligent, but most of their inventions required a lot of manpower.

It would take a lot for our current society to lose our technological advances. I personally don't think it's gonna happen...at least not for a good while. Unless all that stuff about 2012 comes true, but all of the millennium ones didn't, so the odds are pretty low.

As for current technology, or near future technology, some people are working on a lot of things dealing with our brains. Things from virtual reality, controlling computers with just our minds and actually downloading our memory onto a computer along with the ability to download new information into our heads. A lot of those things, I feel, will have a lot of flaws, but it’s interesting to think about all the possibilities there are with ourselves.

But if robots do gain self-awareness and the ability to learn, there's a chance of them seeing humans as useless organisms destined to do nothing but destroy themselves and the world around us.

If we're useless, then why don't we just kill ourselves?

Or how about we just don't invent creations that kill us? I mean.... I like the idea of living, myself.

Ummmm..... "we could discuss the pros and cons of all of this new technology and see what the future has in store for us."......

But.... These evil people could not only have evil robots, but nukes and weapons, also. It would be like the Nazi Regime..... Only..... Without any real significant loss of people for them, as all the brute-force soldiers will be robotic and replaceable. It's easier to program a fresh mind than to convert an old one.

All I'm saying is, that we are relying way too much on technology.

Or how about we just don't invent creations that kill us? I mean.... I like the idea of living, myself.

There's an idea.

Ummmm..... "we could discuss the pros and cons of all of this new technology and see what the future has in store for us."......

I'm all for talking about the pros and cons about future technology, as you pointed out from a quote of mine, but it seemed like we were starting to steer away from discussing technology. That just might be me though.

But.... These evil people could not only have evil robots, but nukes and weapons, also. It would be like the Nazi Regime..... Only..... Without any real significant loss of people for them, as all the brute-force soldiers will be robotic and replaceable. It's easier to program a fresh mind than to convert an old one.

All I'm saying is, that we are relying way too much on technology.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there, but it's still pretty cool what we've been able to create.

I was only talking about our inevitable doom in terms of it coming from our technology advancing too fast.

And yeah, shit's badass up until the point when it turns on us. Then..... Oh damn.....

Anyone see that robot that could interact and respond to humans? It had Einstein's head on it. Japanese invention, I think. I'll look it up later.

I was only talking about our inevitable doom in terms of it coming from our technology advancing too fast.

And yeah, shit's badass up until the point when it turns on us. Then..... Oh damn.....

Anyone see that robot that could interact and respond to humans? It had Einstein's head on it. Japanese invention, I think. I'll look it up later.

We could just make certain things difficult for robots to do...like kill people.