Redefining the Map Collision?

ReeceMix

I am trying a simple experiment to change the original SA map, I've successfully altered the original map mesh

Before

medgatefixed0zc3.th.jpg

After

medgatefixed1ii9.th.jpg

Originally I just tryed to change the dff file and left the original collision (I figured the ingame collision would stay the same it would just look different) anyway the game crashes (probabally becuase I didnt import export a collison with the dff)

Originally I used an earlier version of KAMs plugin script (COL IO v0.2b.ms) and following a tutorial I imported a working piece of scenery

historybookra8.th.jpg

But with the new exporter there is no Set Surface or Create Boundings button

colio2btf6.th.jpg

So now Im just flying blind Ive tried a number of things but it keeps resulting in errors & crashes

whatnexteb5.th.jpg

Can someone please explain how to change the original map and reimport it without it crashing?

Ok Ive answerd this myself I needed a program called

Collision File Editor II

http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=1154

To export the orinal collision file, edit it, by removing the collision on the area I want to remove , then saving the col file,(I just figured this could be done in 3dsMax) and then using that coll file to be added to kams dff exporter. anyway It worked , but now ive removed the shadow on the area, so ive gotta figure out how to fix that now lol

fenceerror2vk0.th.jpg

Edited by ReeceMix

It worked , but now ive removed the shadow on the area, so ive gotta figure out how to fix that now lol

I've encountered this same problem while working on a garage mod, the trouble is that the shading is using the model's vertex color assignments to generate the shadow. The game code uses a separate day/night set of colors - one set of values for each. Kam's scripts doesn't support being able to export this double set of colors. So what ends up happening is that after exporting, you have just the one group. The game interprets this by using the one set for both day AND night. The building, road, and other map models all end up looking fine during the day but you won't get the nice night-time colors like the game's originals.

The best solution is to add the second set of colors manually! This is no simple task either and I haven't gotten around to trying it yet myself but if you really want the details of how to do it: goto gtaforums.com and search for posts with the search term 'vertex colors' and you should find one with a detailed explanation of how to go about it.

A simpler solution is what I've settled on for my mod... I simply setup the colors so they'll look good for the night mode. In your case of the basic wall shadow, you can probably get away with doing the same. Experiment and see what works for you.

It worked , but now ive removed the shadow on the area, so ive gotta figure out how to fix that now lol

I've encountered this same problem while working on a garage mod, the trouble is that the shading is using the model's vertex color assignments to generate the shadow. The game code uses a separate day/night set of colors - one set of values for each. Kam's scripts doesn't support being able to export this double set of colors. So what ends up happening is that after exporting, you have just the one group. The game interprets this by using the one set for both day AND night. The building, road, and other map models all end up looking fine during the day but you won't get the nice night-time colors like the game's originals.

The best solution is to add the second set of colors manually! This is no simple task either and I haven't gotten around to trying it yet myself but if you really want the details of how to do it: goto gtaforums.com and search for posts with the search term 'vertex colors' and you should find one with a detailed explanation of how to go about it.

A simpler solution is what I've settled on for my mod... I simply setup the colors so they'll look good for the night mode. In your case of the basic wall shadow, you can probably get away with doing the same. Experiment and see what works for you.

Seek and ye shall find my friend ..

and Salvation comes to you by the name of

Deniska's 3DS Max MAP Exporter !

http://www.gtasa.fr/download.php?act=view&id=2109

http://www.gostownparadise.com/tuto_01.htm

(can I get an Amen!)

:clapping::clapping: Praise Deniska! :clapping: :clapping:

Multivertex exporter!

nvcolswl0.th.jpg

Still having a little problem with it as the light intesity is light at night and dark in the day but i will have a play around with it tommorow and hopefully restore its original light settings

:clapping: :clapping: Shine A Light ! :clapping: Shine A Light ! :clapping: Shine A Light ! :clapping: :clapping:

oh I am utterly lost :erm:

Ok heres what happens when I click day/night

daynightkv3.th.jpg

when I bring up vertex paint and change the channel from 3 to 1 it brings up this, I also opened up the layer manager and it seems it only has the one layer

daylayerhx7.th.jpg

Thing is I can only guess at whats happening , but when I Import it from dff ingame it starts with the orginal 'night' layer which and moves to a 2nd /default layer(that doesnt exist) that just makes it brighter. In the channel layer 1 is the red and green mix and 2-100 is pure white, Ive checked out a few tutorials but for this process I cant figure out what i need to change (would probabally be easier if I was starting from scratch)

For this I dont particualary want to start adding my own light sources, sun bulbs LOD?! etc for this Modified map ( I know I will have to when I make my 'Own' map areas), I just feel that theres a really simple solution here but i could spend weeks messing around with random toggle buttons ... if someone knows what I need to do please help, in the meantime I will learn to light my own Map area from scratch that shall lie byond that gate. Im a pretty good modeler :drool:

(Also apparently there is a way of using the night vertex with Kams scripts and another night vertex plugin but it requires RWanalyser )

oh I am utterly lost :erm:

Ok heres what happens when I click day/night

daynightkv3.th.jpg

when I bring up vertex paint and change the channel from 3 to 1 it brings up this, I also opened up the layer manager and it seems it only has the one layer

daylayerhx7.th.jpg

Thing is I can only guess at whats happening , but when I Import it from dff ingame it starts with the orginal 'night' layer which and moves to a 2nd /default layer(that doesnt exist) that just makes it brighter. In the channel layer 1 is the red and green mix and 2-100 is pure white, Ive checked out a few tutorials but for this process I cant figure out what i need to change (would probabally be easier if I was starting from scratch)

For this I dont particualary want to start adding my own light sources, sun bulbs LOD?! etc for this Modified map ( I know I will have to when I make my 'Own' map areas), I just feel that theres a really simple solution here but i could spend weeks messing around with random toggle buttons ... if someone knows what I need to do please help, in the meantime I will learn to light my own Map area from scratch that shall lie byond that gate. Im a pretty good modeler :drool:

(Also apparently there is a way of using the night vertex with Kams scripts and another night vertex plugin but it requires RWanalyser )

(I'll answer to both of your posts here)...

First off, great that you were able to find something to export the 2nd set of colors! Seeing as how I only have GMax and not 3ds Max, I'm not sure that script would work in my case but others should find it useful.

Sorry I can't help you with 3ds Max-specific problems. I only have GMax, which has a simpler interface and lacks many features in comparison. There is no separate window for Vertex Paint or a Layer Manager, for example. Just keep experimenting is all I can advise...

RW-Analyzer is the tool I planned to use to try adding the second set BTW. I just hadn't worked out the details of getting the vertex color data extracted. But if you've found a script that does it, that's even better.

Good luck with your problem!