Codemasters Announce FUEL

MrLlamaLlama

Codemasters recently announced the development and release of FUEL, the latest in their as yet 2 part series of brashly named racing games. Following on from DiRT and GRID, FUEL offers a gigantically open world racing environment, set in a semi - apocalyptic alternate future.

Set to revolutionise multi-terrain racing with the largest environment ever created in race gaming, FUEL will present players with an astonishing no-boundaries playfield that's over 5,000 square miles (14,000+ km²) in size. Creating the ultimate competitive go-anywhere racing experience, FUEL will have players competing across wildly different terrain and executing spectacular death-defying stunts as they race dozens of varied two and four-wheeled rides and explore this epic world on an unprecedented scale.

FUEL is set in an alternate present in which whole swathes of the globe have been ravaged by the effects of climate change brought on by decades of environmental abuse. Here oil prices have rocketed and yet a new breed of racing junkie takes to the wastelands, pitting their grungy home-tuned vehicles against each other in an all-new extreme sport as they compete to win fuel supplies. To triumph means travelling the wastelands to challenge the best; from the tsunami-wrecked pacific coast through the Nevada wastelands, including the Grand Canyon, up treacherous snow-capped mountains, thick forests, arid deserts, abandoned lakeside resorts and much more.

Bringing this vast, open ended landscape to life is a dynamic weather system with full day and night transitions, brilliant sunshine, torrential rain and everything in between, plus destructive tornados, sandstorms, thunderstorms, lightning strikes, and blizzards requiring mid-race strategy changes. Complete with the ability to go online to explore this massive world and compete in hundreds of multiplayer challenges, FUEL is coming in 2009 for the PLAYSTATION®3 system, Xbox 360 and Games For Windows.

Source (and developer introduction video)

I don't know about anyone else, but I am a HUGE fan of Codemaster's racing games, i think their engine is brilliant, and the detail they put into these games is astonishing. I hope the sheer size doesn't detract from the overall quality of the game, and certainly hope we get licensed cars again. :)

I R UBER EXCITE

I don't like their games.

They look awesome. Slick menu's and stuff, but I dont' like racing games in general. Might just be because I suck at them..

Maybe one day I'll buy one of those awesome steering wheels and get into those games, but ATM I consider them too expensive (like, 170 EUR..). But it sounds awesome. Grid looked amazing.

But... aren't these games rather repetitive?

14,000 km², well that's even larger than Vanuatu, never seen such a huge map, it will sure will be like Just Cause, with very little detail but still amazing.

In response to that, Codemasters make some of the largest games there are, their latest releases take upto 12.5 gigs of space, so I don't think they're worried about making it HDD friendly. Oh, and if you watch the video, the pre-alpha footage looks really, really good.

I don't like their games.

They look awesome. Slick menu's and stuff, but I dont' like racing games in general. Might just be because I suck at them..

Maybe one day I'll buy one of those awesome steering wheels and get into those games, but ATM I consider them too expensive (like, 170 EUR..). But it sounds awesome. Grid looked amazing.

But... aren't these games rather repetitive?

ahh sort of...depends though. if you are really into cars then you never get sick of it (at least i dont), but if you're not that much into cars, i can understand how it'd get boring.

yeah GRID was good, i played a demo in a shop lol. graphics are excellent.

its tons more fun if you have a steering wheel and pedals, way better than a controller :)

logitech driving force EX is pretty good. its 130 aud RRP (74 euro), that only has 180 deg rotation, but has paddle shifters (buttons behind the wheel).

or driving force pro has 900 deg rotation, and a sequential stick shift, thats 200 aud RRP (113 euro)

keep in mind those are RRP prices, you'd prob find em cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about 360, WE AREN'T BEING RAPED ANYMORE!. Effin Arcade just costs 160 EUR now, that's dirt cheap!. 360 with that 60GB HDD (Pro?) is just 200 EUR. Elite is 240 I think, but I'm not sure about that one.

THAT'S AWESOME. I was going to buy one, but then I realised I really don't have any reason to (apart from Halo 3). All the games I really want come to PC with better graphics or better controls (shooters).

I've always loved Xbox Live though.. I miss those good ol' days playing Halo.

Talking about 360, WE AREN'T BEING RAPED ANYMORE!. Effin Arcade just costs 160 EUR now, that's dirt cheap!. 360 with that 60GB HDD (Pro?) is just 200 EUR. Elite is 240 I think, but I'm not sure about that one.

THAT'S AWESOME. I was going to buy one, but then I realised I really don't have any reason to (apart from Halo 3). All the games I really want come to PC with better graphics or better controls (shooters).

I've always loved Xbox Live though.. I miss those good ol' days playing Halo.

yeah so wtf is australia doing? the 60gb pro console is still $500, elite is $600 i think. and the arcade is $350. i would import one from us or something but the power is different. and is there region coding for the games?