total conversions question

nqcowboy

how far could you go with a total conversion could you make a completely new game(obviosuly the same peds and stuff would be around saying the same thing and such), but i mean could you make like a futurisitic gta(i saw a gta sa video on youtube that was like starwars and it had all these new ped skins and weapons, obviously cleo was used, and buildings)with all new buildings and stuff, or like a street racer gta where its like gta fast and the furious

how far could you go with a total conversion could you make a completely new game(obviosuly the same peds and stuff would be around saying the same thing and such), but i mean could you make like a futurisitic gta(i saw a gta sa video on youtube that was like starwars and it had all these new ped skins and weapons, obviously cleo was used, and buildings)with all new buildings and stuff, or like a street racer gta where its like gta fast and the furious

It would require a team of many modders, REAL GTA 3 for example is not made by just one modder. It is a compilation of many mods all dumped into the game. It replaces all the cars with new ones, changes buildings and roadways. If you had the time and money you could do just about anything with the game. We have access to the graphics, the peds and what they say, how they behave toward each other, the cars, the handling, the meshes, the audio, and even the missions.

However no matter what you change the game engine remains the same. Certain aspects are 'hard coded' into that engine. For example, using a stripped mission script you can always walk into CJ's house, kill peds for their cash and even use the paint and spray if you have $100. I don't care much for mods that want to make GTA into Star Wars or something like that (just go buy SW: Battle Front 2) sure it is funny to have pod racers in the game (I made one myself) but I feel total conversions should stay within the GTA world. I think the GTA VC "Long Night" is too far off track to be called GTA, it is more like a cousin to Resident Evil. After I played it a few times I was like, "That was cool, but I could just go play RE on my brother's Play Station 2.".

Another thing to consider about total conversions; the amount of memory needed to run the mod. My machine is no toaster but it isn't top of the line either. "REAL GTA 3" replaced simple mesh with complexed mesh and high end textures. I can tell the difference. I get massive lags because those high end renders are chewing up my memory when I run REAL GTA 3. In short, yes you can remake the game to the point you might not see it as GTA any more but it would take too much work and man hours to accomplish for just one modder.

I hope this answers the total conversion question.

• 2 weeks later...

When they say Total Conversion they really mean it. You have to change nearly everything except what is hardcoded or needed.

I think first you should stick with small mods, then small conversions, then major conversions and THEN Total Conversions. TBH I always perfered Small or Major conversions anyway and I like small mods better as I can mix 'n' match mods of my choice to make it perfect for me :D

So there isn't really that much need for Total Conversions but if you really want to... Go ahead :)

• 4 months later...

^ agree on that, but I hope to find a TC that replaces all the game elements to make it looks updated visually but still in the same 90' style.

the real name for cars and all that is not that important since I like the naming Rockstar gave to their victional world, but just better polys and wheels and stuff like that.

and mod that makes all the items just laying on the ground or table, would be harder to see and find but I can live with it.

and maybe smaller or more transparent sign for enterable door and mission.

To do a total conversion is stupid! As Jab said, it wouldn't be GTA if it were changed so much, small touches to enhance the world of GTA is cool. If anyone wants to change this game so much that it is no longer GTA they should just get to making there on game.

By this logic we should only have one video game in the world. It costs MONEY to make video games. Game engines aren't easy to code, or cheap to buy. Total conversions are a GREAT way to start getting your feet wet in video game design and I say fucking GO FOR IT.

Who cares if it isn't GTA anymore? You've played GTA, haven't you? Yeah? Then what's the big deal? If you don't want to lose the ability to play GTA again, make a second directory. I have three SA directories right now.

Quite frankly, everyone's views now on TCs is just bullshit. It's probably the reason why there's virtually no good ones available((I'm sorry, replacing all the cars and billboards.... Not worth it to me)). I was excited when I saw the Gotham City TC, it looked awesome and they did an amazing job on it. Only it died, and they decided not to release what they had already done. They completed the Bat Cave. That's fucking awesome. I'm sorry, but I'd entirely replace my San Andreas for GTA: Gotham City. Batman kicks ASS.

And BTW, people, without teams doing this kind of shit, we wouldn't have Counter-Strike. I do not approve of CS, but dammit, it's one of the highest selling FPS games on the market.

Completely agree with Spaz, while I haven't seen any good total conversions out there (probably because it takes a shit load of time and a team and they get bored and realize they can't do it), so that's my reason. I've tried a few before, but they weren't "total" conversions like they said, just added shit and put new missions and replaced a bunch of shit etc.