Kid Friendly Mods?

LaPlant

I know this sounds crazy and possibly blasphemous, but has anyone written a mod that will take out the violence aspect of the game to make this suitable for kids. My kid saw me flying my heli and wants to play too, but for obvious reasons that is not possible. The mission aspect of the game is not really crucial. She is more into the "open" world driving/exploring aspect. If there is no such mod, recommendations/suggestions for a similar, yet kid friendly game is welcome. Thanks.

Lol? If your child wants to play the game then don't censor it at all. Or supervise her while playing. Otherwise just have her play Dora the Explorer or something more "appropriate".

Anyway, the only mod I know of that lowers violence is the no blood mod, but that will only remove blood and not weapons, etc...

Seriously, all or nothing. Don't attempt to censor the game because it will make everyone unhappy. If your child is very young then perhaps you can find another game which allows flight but not killing.

There is in fact a work-in-progress mod that removes all violence from the game... Weird in my mind but someone decided on it. Can't remember where it is though. Try GTAGarage.com I think it was there...

EDIT: Didn't notice you wanted a Vice City one... Guess you're screwed :P Vice City has to be the most violent one yet IMO...

I could make one... But it'd be a waste of time to be honest. If you can get 50 other people that actually want this, I might think about it.

Edited by Deji

Lol? If your child wants to play the game then don't censor it at all. Or supervise her while playing. Otherwise just have her play Dora the Explorer or something more "appropriate".

Anyway, the only mod I know of that lowers violence is the no blood mod, but that will only remove blood and not weapons, etc...

Seriously, all or nothing. Don't attempt to censor the game because it will make everyone unhappy. If your child is very young then perhaps you can find another game which allows flight but not killing.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I don't think anything should change. Call me a hypocrit, but I don't think that my kid should be playing a game where she can beat up or shoot a police officer. I was just wondering if there was anything out there like this and am open to serious suggestions (not Dora the Explorer) about alternatives. Is there anything wrong with having options out there?

I'm also into making such mods for GTA games. How old is she? If you have San Andreas installed, then maybe a CLEO mod that can disable weapons or censor out stuff will do.

And I have Strawberry Shortcake-themed mods for your daughter, too... :lolbounce:

I don't have San Andreas, yet, but I will probably get it after finishing this one. I also have GTA III. What's with the black bar in your post, Huckleberry?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I don't think anything should change. Call me a hypocrit, but I don't think that my kid should be playing a game where she can beat up or shoot a police officer. I was just wondering if there was anything out there like this and am open to serious suggestions (not Dora the Explorer) about alternatives. Is there anything wrong with having options out there?

I'm also into making such mods for GTA games. How old is she? If you have San Andreas installed, then maybe a CLEO mod that can disable weapons or censor out stuff will do.

And I have Strawberry Shortcake-themed mods for your daughter, too... :lolbounce:

I don't have San Andreas, yet, but I will probably get it after finishing this one. I also have GTA III. What's with the black bar in your post, Huckleberry?

Highlight it with your mouse... Or, if you're extremely curious:

I have Strawberry Shortcake-themed mods for your daughter, too... :lolbounce:

Get her China Town Wars for the Nintendo DS if your daughter is addicted to GTA.

What, how is that any better? You realize that Chinatown Wars will allow the sale of drugs and most other things in previous GTA games.

There are some kids in Baltimore M.D who are 11 and younger who sell marijuana in ally ways. Anyway she wouldnt even get to the sell drugs part of the game come on. She would just do the driving around.

Get her China Town Wars for the Nintendo DS if your daughter is addicted to GTA.

What, how is that any better? You realize that Chinatown Wars will allow the sale of drugs and most other things in previous GTA games.

There are some kids in Baltimore M.D who are 11 and younger who sell marijuana in ally ways. Anyway she wouldnt even get to the sell drugs part of the game come on. She would just do the driving around.

Really? Ok, by your logic, if she's not going to "get into" certain parts of the game, she doesn't need a censored version in the first place now does she?

You can't say she won't get into it, and if you were her parent, would you supervise her 24/7 or WHENEVER she was on her DS to make sure she didn't discover the activity. That's stupid. If she had access to the game she would find the drug trafficking. And because kids sell drugs in one of the worst cities in America, that justifies her playing a game in which you sell drugs?

Not that I wouldn't let my child play the game anyway, but come on.

yeah the whole DS gta ... drug dealings lol

in the previous games (afaik, dunno bout gta4 havent played), you dont actively deal drugs. oh woops lol except the "icecream" mission. but, the child wont know (cept they may wonder why the cops are chasing you for selling icecream...awkkkward! LOL)....

uh for vice city...man i dunno. its really not meant for kids, as others had said. a open world kids friendly game i recon..NFSU2 (need for speed underground 2), that has a big open world, and yeah. no damage, nothin else like that. and it'd be a bargain these days, in USA it wouldnt be more than $20, same for australia shouldnt be any more than $30...if you can run vice city, you should be able to run nfsu2, but lower settings...unless you have a really high powered system etc...im sure you get what i mean

so my recomendation for a open-world driving is need for speed underground 2...or carbon? or need for speed most wanted...not prostreet lol, no freeroam.

sorta offtopic but how old is your child? just it'd be better to know so we can gauge how complex the game needs to be (eg just press go, or steering etc, or nos + manual etc etc...)

*Chris82 Bitchslaps Husky*

Okay I see your point. Its really bad for R* planing a GTA for the kid friendly system. That would be an excuse for Jack Thompson.

How is it? The Playstation is a "Kid friendly system" too isn't it? As would be the Wii. But they all have violent games...

I don't really see why people object so much to a mod being made for their kids to play. I got to play GTA at 7 uncensored... Even if it was 2D :P So it's the parents choice whether they let their kids play the game.

I wouldn't go out and make this mod, but if someone asked me for some help for a bit of code for it (As a few have) - I wouldn't deny giving them some help with it...

I sounds like the Chinatown Wars is not going to meet the criteria that I have set. In any event we do not have a DS or any consoles, for that matter. We are a PC family.

Need for Speed sounds like it might be worth looking into. Do you get to exit your car and walk around in that one? I have a demo of Midtown Madness 2. Maybe I'll break that out again. If I remember right it was all timer based, which restricts the free roam aspect.

As for complexity, let's just say that I wouldn't want it more complex than GTA III or Vice City. That would rule out flight sims which are too complex for even me. I have a hard enough time keeping my Maverick in the air without running into buildings.

I have never attempted to make a mod. I'd have to leave that to someone else. I was just curious to see if there was such a thing out there. If I could only take out the weapons and get those police to leave her alone when she runs over people. To give you an idea, she was driving around minding her own business when she ran over someone in the presence of a cop. He started shooting and tried to arrest her and she punched him out. She thought that was hysterical. Which it was. But, I just can't help thinking that it is not a good thing for her.

Revelation : I could disable the fire button on the joystick but that doesn't take out the cop problem. There must be a mod or code that keeps cops from going after you when you do things that would trigger your star rating.

Edited by LaPlant

She thought that was hysterical. Which it was. But, I just can't help thinking that it is not a good thing for her.

If you're going to think like that then you honestly shouldn't let her play at all. The "bad morals" thing snowballs, is it any better for her to kill people at will and let her get away with it without cops reacting? The psychology is the same either way.

Either way, there is an admin console for San Andreas which allows you to change almost every aspect of the game, I'm sure there's a way to freeze wanted level in there. For Vice City, I'm not sure. San Andreas has even more area for her to explore and such, but if you want to play Vice City you can try this, I think there's something in there to freeze wanted level.

But honestly just let her play the game.

I am not saying that this is the most rational thing, but the way I see it, Killing by accidentally running them over as you recklessly drive thru town -ok. Killing people with guns, chainsaws, etc. - bad. To make matters worse she also has younger siblings who will most likely want to observe the mayhem. But thanks for the San Andreas suggestion. I will have to look into that. I almost got it a while back, but I still hadn't played VC yet.

I am not saying that this is the most rational thing, but the way I see it, Killing by accidentally running them over as you recklessly drive thru town -ok. Killing people with guns, chainsaws, etc. - bad. To make matters worse she also has younger siblings who will most likely want to observe the mayhem. But thanks for the San Andreas suggestion. I will have to look into that. I almost got it a while back, but I still hadn't played VC yet.

If I'm not mistaken, there are some mods, besides the ghost town cheat, that can make the streets empty in San Andreas; that way, your daughter won't be able to run over peds and stuff. And so does disabling weapons. BTW, how old is she so that I can suggest something else for her.

I play SA w/ my daughter (age 14), you might want to consider SA instead of VC. I love VC but it takes a lot from the

movie Scarface. NOT kid friendly. If you've played SA you know what parts you'll want to avoid & there's the various

schools & sidework. My kid is particularly good at skydiving, got 95% the fist time she tried & usually goes for base

jumping.

For an open world driving game check out Test Drive Unlimited.

download the ghost town mod and turn the hud off so she can't find the mission markers Lol.. she'll be able to drive around, fly around and do w/e without anyone else around to kill.

That sounds like a plan. Is the ghost town mod available for Vice City or just San Andreas? What about the other cars driving around town? Will the cops be gone too?

download the ghost town mod and turn the hud off so she can't find the mission markers Lol.. she'll be able to drive around, fly around and do w/e without anyone else around to kill.

That sounds like a plan. Is the ghost town mod available for Vice City or just San Andreas? What about the other cars driving around town? Will the cops be gone too?

It wouldn't stop peds spawning in the odd car and cops spawning meaning that if you were really unlucky, a ped would crash into a cop car causing the cop to get out and start shooting... BUT if there is some sort of cheat that disables cops or makes only certain peds spawn, then nothing would spawn. But IDK, I dont have Vice City...

Do you know if Vice City supports CLEO? And if the coding is similar? Cause if it was I MAY be able to work something out, but idk...

My oppinion: Get San Andreas! It's easier to filter and there's more roads to explore :)

Edited by Deji

your making it far more complicated than it needs to be.. yeah its VC i only mod VC so trust me i know what im talking about.

i'll get a link to the ghost town mod in a sec and um maybe download a total conversion map mod, no missions and depending on the stage of the mod it may already have no ped paths.. she might have more fun playing the new State of liberty mod with ghost town on.. the peds still have paths around VC but not the other maps

(it has VC, gtaIII map (LC) and San andreas maps all in one aswell as a stunt park, bush land forrest thing and 3 new islands/city's made for the mod.)

ok ghost town/lonely mod. the one thing he was unable to stop was the bus so very rarely you'll find a bus but that just stops lets 4-5 of the same guy off then drives off, make sure she doesn't run them down and your sweet lol (thats VC only)

http://files.filefront.com/Lonely+Modzip/;...;/fileinfo.html

it works in VC and LC so.. i would assume it'll work in SOL aswell.

http://tjbp.net/gtastateofliberty.com/GTAF...(AngryBull).rar

thats SOL, i haven't downloaded this latest versoin but.. its supposed to work, i should download it cause im semi a dev lol)