Any ideas on mimicking the GTA IV art effect?

OK, so I was playing around with a wallpaper of Sofia Vassileva for the lulz, and thought of mimicking the effect seen in the GTA IV concept art:

sophie_gtaiv_test.jpg

Here's another attempt (slightly adjusted, though):

sophie_gtaivtest2.jpg

It worked pretty well with the buildings in the background, but Sophie and the cabbie needs some work. Any ideas?

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

This is just a guess, but did you use the "Poster edges" filter in Photoshop? That's what I usually use when I try to make a photo look like artwork. It works best with relatively large photos. Smaller photos usually don't work as well.

If that's what you actually did, just try to adjust the filter a little and see what looks best. You might want to use the smudge tool afterwards to change anything you might not like.

If you're going for a GTAIV artwork style, I'd say that's just about as close as you could get. If you want an older GTA artwork look, you just need to get rid of some detail and possibly polygon some stuff.

This is just a guess, but did you use the "Poster edges" filter in Photoshop? That's what I usually use when I try to make a photo look like artwork. It works best with relatively large photos. Smaller photos usually don't work as well.

If that's what you actually did, just try to adjust the filter a little and see what looks best. You might want to use the smudge tool afterwards to change anything you might not like.

If you're going for a GTAIV artwork style, I'd say that's just about as close as you could get. If you want an older GTA artwork look, you just need to get rid of some detail and possibly polygon some stuff.

Hmm, nope. And yeah, I'm going for the IV artwork style.

Hmm, nope. And yeah, I'm going for the IV artwork style.

Are you using Photoshop? If so, then try out that filter.