GTA IV PC DRM FAQ

Chris

Rockstar have recently answered a lot of questions regarding the methods of copy protection used on upcoming copies of GTA IV for the PC, resulting in a rather lengthy FAQ. Rockstar have confirmed the game will make use of SecuROM Digital Rights Management software. I won't post the whole thing here because it's an absolutely massive document, but here's a choice quote from the FAQ - a long list of all the software which you'll need just to play the game:

Initial activation requires internet connection; Online play requires log-in to Games for Windows - LIVE and Rockstar Games Social Club (13+ to register); retail version requires disc in drive to play (unlimited installations for retail discs in most countries); software installations required including Sony DADC SecuROM, Adobe Flash, DirectX, and Microsoft's .NET Framework, Games for Windows - LIVE, and Internet Explorer.

All your questions about the copy protection, install limits and other such requirements will almost definitely be answered in the FAQ, so be sure to read it all if you do have concerns.

Software with copy protection methods like this are often referred to as being "DRM infested" is often viewed in a very negative light, and you can read about some of the controversy over it on Wikipedia, though you can understand why companies like R* feel the need to use it. As long as you're playing a legal copy you'll have nothing to worry about, except the fact that there is third party software running in the background. At least if you have a boxed retail copy there's no activation/install limits.

We're bracing ourselves for a shitstorm of negative comments regardless. Feel free to fire away in our forums with your opinion on this.

Already registered with LIVE and R*SC, plus I bought the game on Steam. Although it's irrelevant, they can put SecuROM 9001 into the game and the pirates will find a way around it, combating piracy by making it harder for people who legitimately buy the game to play than the actual pirates is a buttfuck practice that needs to stop.

Not going to be a problem for me, I'm just going to buy it from store really, I wouldn't really care about it having SecuROM as long as I get the chance to experience GTA IV for PC, then really, I'm not bothered.

Heh, people still claim that Nero won't burn because of SecuROM that might have been the case in the old versions but people don't seem to realise that the SecuROM doesn't run any other time than you are playing the game so how would it stop you using any programs. I have had SecuROM on my computer since Spore came out and haven't have any problems. Also SecuROM can be unistalled if player himself so wants but of course the game won't work without it but if you delete the game you can also uninstall SecuROM. Also I don't get the big thing of the few files that stay on the computer when in reality they are those files that just keep your games info in them so you don't have to register the game everytime you install it on your computer and those files without the others won't even work. This is just so funny when people really get themselves hyped about this and get fueled by the rumors. I also am going to buy it from the store and I don't really worry about this as I know it doesn't effect my computer at all.

pff no matter how hard they try it always get pirated

yes it always get pirated because in my country all game that come out are pirated :pissedred:

i think i got to buy a retail version of gta 4 to be able to install it as many time as i want :lolbounce:

but i dont know when gta 4 will be on stores in my country :bashhead:

may be i'll pre order it online.......

I haven't bought many new PC games (I haven't pirated them either) , simply because my laptop can't handle them.

But DRM is like...a way of life now. It's good that you can install unlimited times, because when there's things like that (install on up to 5 pc's) , it becomes a bit of a pain. Say for example you have changed some hardware in your pc. First CPU, then you reinstall. So thats 2. Then video card, thats 3. Then you need a new PC. thats 4.

It just doesn't seem necessary. Although online play will be good (i hope) so that will motivate many to buy it. I dunno, i've always preferred having the physical copy rather than a Steam version...

But DRM is like...a way of life now. It's good that you can install unlimited times, because when there's things like that (install on up to 5 pc's) , it becomes a bit of a pain. Say for example you have changed some hardware in your pc. First CPU, then you reinstall. So thats 2. Then video card, thats 3. Then you need a new PC. thats 4.

Well you might not know how it works on Spore as only time you need to reactivate is when motherboard or CPU changes. It doesn't matter if you change your graphic card or any other component on your computer and I would think this is with all the new versions as those two parts aren't really changed so often than graphic cards.

Edited by Wezqu