Nikola Tesla-- greatest inventor of all time

MishoM

200px-N.Tesla.JPG

Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) was a Serbian inventor and is pretty much the reason you can view TGTAP today. Oddly enough, no one knows of the Serb or his contributions to humanity-- which are unmatched to this day. Tesla invented AC electricity, wireless electricity, the remote control, cellular technology, the radio, the electric motor, the generator (basically motor), X-rays, neon lighting, the Tesla coil (transformer), basic radar and laser technology, robotics, and "Star Wars tactical warfare." Tesla wasn't in it for the money, Tesla was someone who wanted electricity to be free for all, but in capitalist America, he of course couldn't get that and was considered "a threat to the world energy economy." The Serb was screwed over by the likes of Thomas Edison, who's company was going to go bankrupt, so he made promises to Tesla, Tesla improved everything, and he then fired him saying he doesn't "understand how American business men work."

So who's heard of Tesla? I've been meaning to make this topic to talk about his contributions and inform people of what he did but never got around to it. A nice video can be found here about him as well. He was also played by David Bowie in the movie the Prestige.

Let's talk about Tesla! :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was a pretty cool guy. And if he was still alive today I'd like to meet him and shake his hand and say something like:

"Mate, you're fucking mint. Cheers for all the stuff you invented I've found it to be pretty useful and it's made living a lot easier"

Also, The Prestige is a fucking mint film, mainly because Christian Bale is in it... and stuff. :)

I think he was a pretty cool guy. And if he was still alive today I'd like to meet him and shake his hand and say something like:

"Mate, you're fucking mint. Cheers for all the stuff you invented I've found it to be pretty useful and it's made living a lot easier"

Also, The Prestige is a fucking mint film, mainly because Christian Bale is in it... and stuff. :)

And David Bowie is in it, David fucking Bowie.

But, this is a Nikola Tesla topic and yeah, stuff he's done is pretty cool. Badass guy.

How do people figure this information out? How do they know that this guy was responsible for these inventions?

I'm not sure if this is similar to the whole Einstein thing, but people have said Einstein actually stole everything he supposedly thought of...which sort of confuses me because I don't know how people could figure this stuff out around 100 years later.

Might just be me though…

@ Chris/Dirty Harry: Yeah I heard the Prestige is a great movie, my brother's got it on Blu-ray, I've seen parts of it and it looks great. David Bowie plays Tesla too!

@ Harwood Butcher: With stuff like inventions it's really easy. Tesla holds all the patents, he has a book he wrote titled "My Inventions," and of course other people have said so as well, like one of his friends, Mark Twain (who I believe was in Tesla's lab a few times). Einstien didn't come up with everything on his own, his wife, (forgot her first name) Maric, who also happens to be Serbian (heh heh heh) was a mathematics professor I believe? I've heard plenty of stories of her teaching him everything he knew, and then him taking all the credit. Similar to how people have tried to steal Tesla's inventions, I think there are a few people who tried to take the radio invention, but Tesla holds the patent as HE CAME UP WITH IT.

It's so sad that frauds like Edison get taught at in school and people like Tesla are often forgotten. He's not in Serbia that's for sure, as he has always been on our money, taught about at our schools, etc.

Not sure if anyone's heard of this, but supposedly Tesla came up with a car in the early half of the 1900s that could run solely on electricity, no gas required. I wouldn't be surprised if he did, electricity is pretty much his idea. If anyone's interested even more, look up with "War of Currents" which was basically the battle between Tesla and Edison, Tesla supported AC electricity (which is better, and what we use today) and Edison supported DC electricity (which is inferior, you would need a huge generator every so often, short distances, etc.). Tesla simply wanted things better for everyone, whilst Edison wanted to make money, and thus Edison invented things like the electric chair and would kill animals claiming "this is what AC electricity can do," saying it isn't safe and what not (yeah, right). Tesla lite up a city with the power he harnessed from Niagara Falls, and people realized how much greater AC was and dumped DC.

Really interesting stuff.

Edit, some interesting quotes:

After the "War of Currents," Westinghouse (who funded Tesla) has next to no money, if he had payed Tesla, Tesla would have been a millionaire and Westinghouse would have gone bankrupt. Tesla ripped up his royalties contract:

"Money does not represent such a value as men have placed upon it. All my money has been invested into experiments with which I have made new discoveries enabling mankind to have a little easier life."

- Nikola Tesla

Over a century ago, Nikola Tesla was already thinking about the gas issue we have today. He basically came up with the idea of "green." Today, your energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs still use Tesla's principle:

"If we use fuel to get our power, we are living on our capital and exhausting it rapidly. This method is barbarous and wantonly wasteful and will have to be stopped in the interest of coming generations."

- Nikola Tesla

His name's Misho not Mishom :P

And yes I believe his original family name did end in -ic.

Yes the vast majority (90% IIRC according to Wikipedia) of Serbs have that ending, not all of them though. But the fact Tesla holds that patents proves he invented them. No doubt he was an awesome inventor. Only heard of him due to media and Internet. Never heard of him in school, as Misho said, we learned about Edison though...

@macorules94: Not all Serbian last names end in -ic. Tesla wasn't born in Serbia, I don't even think there was a Serbia at the moment when Tesla was born due to them being taken over and such. However Tesla was born to Serbian parents, and his religion was Serbian Orthodox (his father was a Serbian Orthodox priest). It was Tesla's wishes to have his ashes and his work all transferred to Belgrade, Serbia (where they are now on display at the Nikola Tesla National Museum).

@Chris: :/ They really need to teach about this man.

@Gerard: Bringing him up because not a lot of people know about this man and should. The reason I know so much of him is because I'm a Serb and he's like a God there, but I think everyone should know about his contributions and what he's done for all of us.

Tesla is THE MAN. I've always had a fascination with lightning and the sorts, and Tesla is the master of electricity. Also as Chris said, The Prestige ruled.

I once watched a video in my high school physics class that said Tesla castrated himself because he couldn't stand the idea of sexuality. I'm not sure if this is true as I can't find anything about it online, but either way he was certainly a strange one :P

It really is sad how so many people haven't heard of him, but people are beginning to hear of his work/accomplishments. Through the internet, movies like The Prestige, etc. people are finally learning of the genius Nikola Tesla was and what he did for humanity. People like him, who weren't greedy and weren't in it for the money should be idolized by everyone if you ask me.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who has done this much for EVERYONE. He really should go down in history as one of the smartest men (if not the smartest) of all time. His contributions are unmatched.

no effence but i rekon that Serbia is greedy. And also greece.

They are soo nationalistic, they dont shut up about stuff about serbia and they think its the best country in the world

Im kinda glad that Kosovo is taking over your country. To see how you cope with it.

Coz thats nothing compared to what Serbia and Greece and Bulgaria did to Macedonia

And somehow we manage...

And its serbia's fault for WW1 for assassinating some guy

the only descent country in the balkans is Croatia

They are good. They are not greedy for land and they dont really care about things.

ur soo stereotypical, my mate gojan is serbian, hes none of these things, dont blame all serbian people for what happened somewhat 80 years ago that they had nothing to do with,

and why the hell ent i heard of this nikola telsa guy, hes soo awesome, if it werent for him, i wouldnt be enjoying my xbox 360 right now, good on ya m8 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

yeah we learnt about the niagara falls thing, for the competition to get the contract for electricity or something like that. in physics :pissed: lol. the only stuff i totally remembered was the historical stuff...all these formulas and shit, not to mention the worst teacher ever. lol.

well generator and motor are like the opposite. motor starts with electrical energy then turns into mechanical energy (eg spinning a wheel). generator starts with kinetic or mechanical or whatever it is (like you turning a crank) then it makes electricity.

i dunno what the thing is called, but, its like this ball, and theres brushes in the bottom that spins really fast, then makes heaps of static electricity. then you get some stick and put it near it, and a spark goes like nearly a foot. pretty cool. that was like, nearly the only interesting thing in physics...oh and dry ice LOL.

but yeah edison contracted him to do the niagara falls thing then he betrayed him...

no effence but i rekon that Serbia is greedy. And also greece.

They are soo nationalistic, they dont shut up about stuff about serbia and they think its the best country in the world

Im kinda glad that Kosovo is taking over your country. To see how you cope with it.

Coz thats nothing compared to what Serbia and Greece and Bulgaria did to Macedonia

And somehow we manage...

And its serbia's fault for WW1 for assassinating some guy

the only descent country in the balkans is Croatia

They are good. They are not greedy for land and they dont really care about things.

So your condemning an entire group of normal people for the actions of a small minority or events that took place in the past? What are you, the BNP?

Edited by Sean.