TGTAP turns six years old today!

Chris

So I guess some of you may have noticed on the homepage a little alteration to our banner. Hard to believe it's 6 years today that I started my first website. As a 14 year old kid sat in my bedroom, bored, and having just acquired Microsoft FrontPage 4. I began clicking everyshit in an attempt to make a webpage which I'd later host on 55mb of webspace my Dad had with our ISP at the time. Vice City had been out for a couple of weeks for the PS2, and I was hooked on that, so I put some random stuff on there like cheats and pictures I'd taken off the TV with my digital camera :rolleyes:

I called this website of mine "The GTA Place".

So yes, we've grown a fair bit since then. Every day over 20,000 people land on this website and in an average day, these people rack up over 230,000 page views between them - yes we consume a shit-ton of bandwidth.

I only have accurate data going back to mid-2006, however we estimate that in 6 full years of operation, The GTA Place has been visited over 15 million times, viewing over 210 million pages.

But enough of the stats. What do we have to look forward to when TGTAP enters into it's 7th year today?

Well, first and foremost, the most noticeable change will be a new design for the website. We'll also be upgrading forum software which will give us a nice shiny new set of features, once done that will also receive a new design to match the new website. Backend changes to the website should ensure it runs more smoothly, allowing staff to manage and update our content a lot more easily.

The forum's gang scene is likely to receive a kick up the arse to get it going strongly again, with the help of a few members here. That's about all the major things we have planned. We're looking at New Year's Day as a tentative release date for the new design, but the forum upgrades will come after that.

I'd like to thank all of you who still visit us today and find us a useful part of the amazing community that is the Grand Theft Auto fans. Especially veterans of TGTAP among you, some of you are left I know... if you have a member ID < 100 then you can pretty much say you're a vet ;)

Have a good Christmas (or whatever you celebrate) and enjoy playing GTA IV on your PC's (or consoles perhaps!), and keep on visiting TGTAP for happy fun time!

It's nice to hear that this began as a curiosity on Frontpage, and grew up to be one of the most awesome sites ever... Well, God Bless and hope we have some more visitors/members... :lol:

EDIT: So far, here's the earliest archive of the site I found on Archive.org - http://web.archive.org/web/20030617125716/...hegtaplace.com/ - I haven't seen the 2002 rendition yet...

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

if you have a member ID < 100 then you can pretty much say you're a vet ;)

Hell yeah! I'm a vet. ;)

Good on you Chris. Your dedication to TGTAP is as strong as ever. Not many GTAF or GTAB administrators hung around with your amount of activity and the informative posts you put out to the public. You're a legend mate. Good stuff! :)