GTA IV PC on Pentium 4

well got the game installed, went to play and right off the bat i got an error before it would even start:

GTA IV PC FATAL ERROR: RMN40

well, turned out i didnt have XP SP3 installed.. so i installed SP3 and the game started fine. it defaulted my settings at 1024x768@60Hz, the object and draw distance were set in the 20s, the texture settings (both) were set at High and Medium for the other.

game played very well for a Pentium 4, i must say. now with the current bugs in the game being counted as a factor (in my book), it ran between 15 and 20 FPS. once again, NOT BAD for a P4. and here is my setup:

Windows XP Black Pro SP3

Intel Pentium 4 HT 2.80GHz 800MHz FSB 512kb

XFX Geforce 8600GT 512mb PCI-e x16 (mind you its limited at x4 because of my board)

1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR Dual Channel

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

ASUS P4V800D-X

very surprising to me, as not even a Pentium D is mentioned for the minimum requirements..

the one problem i am encountering is texture drawing.. it is doing like the older GTAs (III and VC) where the textures would sometimes go blank or objects/textures wouldnt draw, but turning the draw distance up to 60 and the Texture Detail to Very High did help to keep my textures drawing faster. but as for gameplay overall, i must say, with 1 more gig of ram and the upcoming patch and possibly a CPU OC, i would definately consider the game playable. what other consider playable is usually nothing below 30fps, but i consider around 20 as playable, seeing as i grew up with outdated hardware even after each upgrade. but the fact that it is running at all is amazement to me, i was told no way in hell would it run, but it does.

bash if you will, but after the patch (whether or not it fixes anything) i can maybe make a video or post some screens to proove my statement.

o he could play SA, if he gets a trainer (the Ultimate Trainer i think) he can use the option to reduce traffic and it will play fine. i used to play it on a 400MHz AMD K6-2 Compaq Presario 5340, 384mb mismatched-as-hell RAM, 6gb 5400RPM HDD, and a Geforce 2 GTS 64mb.

instead of Ebay, y dont u find an alternative method of obtaining it? *wink*

man, defraggin now and the whole drive was red after installing it and playing

EDIT: and now the textures are fine after the defrag, either the defrag or another 1gig of ram i added, but it wasnt matched so it brought it down to single channel. but i really think the defrag was what made the textures clear up.

Like I said in my topic 'Rockstar messed up a little?'

I quote myself 'R* either gave the specs random or calculated them wrong!' but many of you guys denied R* making a mistake and told me I had a money issue. Well now get this, people with high end rigs are complaining not even enjoying it on medium, while many people with low end rigs like dual core or orange's pentium D, say it ran nice and smooth.

So everything got backwards?

Now who has the money issue???

(It's good to have dual core...sorry guys I don't mean to rub this in your face :) )

well here is an update..

i did that defrag and installed the extra gig of ram (single channel) and the textures were normal, no missing buildings or anything. but the lack of matched RAM and Dual Channel made my FPS drop by nearly half. so i shut down, took out the 1gig stick and OC'd my CPU 5% from 2.80GHz to 2.94GHz and it playes a hella-lot better and smoother, but with funked up textures.. so it was the RAM that was causing the textures to go wacky.

now here is the stumper: the higher resolution i went the BETTER the game played. at 800x600 (more CPU dependant) the game ran around the teens for FPS. but going up to 1024x768 (a good middleground for CPU and GPU), i got some more frames. next i jumped it to 1280x1024 (GPU dependant) and it ran much better (than 800x600), and then up to 1440x900 and had roughly the same FPS as 1280x1024. so obviously my GPU was able to pick up the slack and take the load off of my CPU.. but that extra 140MHz on my CPU gave me much better performance. now im planning on buying 2gigs of brand new RAM and testing it again. and i think then it will be playable (around 30-40fps).

now i was borrowing my brother's copy to do this, so i am awaiting a working noDVD so i can take some screens for you all and show you what i mean.

@GTAWiseman

lol, i dont have a Pentium D, i have a Pentium 4, a socket 478 P4 to be exact! :P

well got the game installed, went to play and right off the bat i got an error before it would even start:

GTA IV PC FATAL ERROR: RMN40

well, turned out i didnt have XP SP3 installed.. so i installed SP3 and the game started fine. it defaulted my settings at 1024x768@60Hz, the object and draw distance were set in the 20s, the texture settings (both) were set at High and Medium for the other.

game played very well for a Pentium 4, i must say. now with the current bugs in the game being counted as a factor (in my book), it ran between 15 and 20 FPS. once again, NOT BAD for a P4. and here is my setup:

Windows XP Black Pro SP3

Intel Pentium 4 HT 2.80GHz 800MHz FSB 512kb

XFX Geforce 8600GT 512mb PCI-e x16 (mind you its limited at x4 because of my board)

1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR Dual Channel

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

ASUS P4V800D-X

very surprising to me, as not even a Pentium D is mentioned for the minimum requirements..

the one problem i am encountering is texture drawing.. it is doing like the older GTAs (III and VC) where the textures would sometimes go blank or objects/textures wouldnt draw, but turning the draw distance up to 60 and the Texture Detail to Very High did help to keep my textures drawing faster. but as for gameplay overall, i must say, with 1 more gig of ram and the upcoming patch and possibly a CPU OC, i would definately consider the game playable. what other consider playable is usually nothing below 30fps, but i consider around 20 as playable, seeing as i grew up with outdated hardware even after each upgrade. but the fact that it is running at all is amazement to me, i was told no way in hell would it run, but it does.

bash if you will, but after the patch (whether or not it fixes anything) i can maybe make a video or post some screens to proove my statement.

I can live with 15-30fps if you ask me; I have a heavily-modded SA on my machine - flip the switch on the ENB mod and it runs on that framerate, although I would be glad if it ran faster... And with that, I guess a terminal in a typical Filipino Internet kiosk may run the game (at least on low settings), provided that they have pretty much the same specs as yours.

lol that is weird...

hahah insane running sa on that. i mean, it'd run...but it'd struggle. thats pretty cool that you got it to run though.

i tried running san andreas on 1600x1200 full AA max graphics etc etc...i changed the settings , then i pressed enter to confirm and my computer restarted. i think it bluescreened or something lol. it wouldve had p4 2ghz (socket 478 too lol, sux its not 775) 1gb ram , 256mb fx5200 lol. it runs SA and other games fine.

well i got a working crack and was able to play for almost 2hrs with no crash or lockups.. but still with some really messed up textures. however, i sat in Roman's apartment and watched TV for almost an hour and went outside and all the textures were loaded for that area of the city, but after driving around and away from Roman's the textures messed up again and quit drawing all togethar. cant wait for some new RAM..

well i got a working crack and was able to play for almost 2hrs with no crash or lockups.. but still with some really messed up textures. however, i sat in Roman's apartment and watched TV for almost an hour and went outside and all the textures were loaded for that area of the city, but after driving around and away from Roman's the textures messed up again and quit drawing all togethar. cant wait for some new RAM..

Have you tried playing it without the crack? I mean, we can't support you if you're into using it... Although it's nice to know that it ran kinda' decently on a seemingly outdated system...

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

yea i tried without it, thats how i installed it! my brother owns the game and he installed it for me last night, the only reason im using a crack right now is because he is playing it on his nice quad core with his Play disc! but all night last night i was using the disc, just my last post was the first time i used the crack. i have a legit installation and legit key and all, i just used the crack so i can continue to test the game and let you all kno how it is on my good ol P4! no worries man, its legit, just we cant both use the disc at the same time!

here is a pic of my texture corruption:

2938vbc.jpg

Edited by x_orange90_x

@GTAWiseman

lol, i dont have a Pentium D, i have a Pentium 4, a socket 478 P4 to be exact! :P

Oh lol srry, i was typing so fast, I forgot to see that i wrote Pentium D instead of Pentium 4.

Anyways, that's how it turned out. Backwards! Most people with dual core, core 2 duo and small amount that have Pentium 4(like you), have been bragging with thousands of smiley faces that they're actually running it on medium. But the ppl with quads and high rigs, not so good.

anyways I'm waiting 3 more days for GTA4 on PC, cuz I'm in Macedonia and here they arrive a little late.

On my athlon 64 3500 without any adjustments yet other than updating the stock 9600 GT driver to the beta GTA 4 friendly one tonight

Statistics

Average FPS: 11.11

Duration: 37.43 sec

CPU Usage: 100%

System memory usage: 76%

Video memory usage: 72%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1152 x 864 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: Medium

Render Quality: High

View Distance: 25

Detail Distance: 37

Hardware

Microsoft® Windows Vista Black Edition" 2009

Service Pack 1

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Video Driver version: 180.84

Audio Adapter: Speakers (C-Media PCI Audio Device)

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+

File ID: benchmark.cli

And i have the Toledo 4800 coming to me next week