Help with GTA IV from Steam?

Alex0

I purchased GTA IV on Steam a few days ago, started the download Dec. 2 when it released, and it finished sometime this morning. I did the whole Rockstar Social Club registration, though I had nothing to link it to. When prompted to activate it online, I made the mistake (I suppose at this point it must be an understatement) of accidentally clicking "Cancel" instead of "Ok"or "Continue" (whatever it was). I figured, "Hey, no biggy. I'm sure it will just ask again next time I try to launch it from Steam.

Wrong.

I launched GTA IV from Steam. It brings up the Rockstar Social Club page.. thing.. And I clicked "Play." It does nothing for a few seconds, as if it is about to start up, and then I get an error message that says "SecuLauncer: failed to start application. [2000]"

I have tried: Logging Out of Rockstar Social Club, disconnecting from the internet while attempting to launch it, and even tried uninstalling SecuRom with what was supposed to be their official uninstaller. Nothing thus far has worked. I looked at the manual activation page that Rockstar set up, but that is useless for me since none of the things it says I can even do.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them.

I purchased GTA IV on Steam a few days ago, started the download Dec. 2 when it released, and it finished sometime this morning. I did the whole Rockstar Social Club registration, though I had nothing to link it to. When prompted to activate it online, I made the mistake (I suppose at this point it must be an understatement) of accidentally clicking "Cancel" instead of "Ok"or "Continue" (whatever it was). I figured, "Hey, no biggy. I'm sure it will just ask again next time I try to launch it from Steam.

Wrong.

I launched GTA IV from Steam. It brings up the Rockstar Social Club page.. thing.. And I clicked "Play." It does nothing for a few seconds, as if it is about to start up, and then I get an error message that says "SecuLauncer: failed to start application. [2000]"

I have tried: Logging Out of Rockstar Social Club, disconnecting from the internet while attempting to launch it, and even tried uninstalling SecuRom with what was supposed to be their official uninstaller. Nothing thus far has worked. I looked at the manual activation page that Rockstar set up, but that is useless for me since none of the things it says I can even do.

I'm also getting the same error message. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: I'm not using steam.

Edited by Davesta

Wrong.

Not sure if any of these will help but I simply did a quick search for error code

http://www.google.com/search?q=SecuLaunche...t+application.+[2000]+GTA+IV&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Okay, so I e-mailed SecuROM directly about this problem. After downloading some sort of tool that retrieved data for the problem and taking a screenshot of the error message and attaching them to a second e-mail, they responded with, verbatim:

"Thank you for your e-mail. The error code '2000' means that the GTAIV.exe

can't be launched from the LaunchGTAIV.exe - e.g. the GTAIV.exe was renamed /

deleted / moved,… Undoing this change or re-installing the game could solve

the issue."

I do not really know how to find the .exe yet (I haven't really looked into it, so I have no clue if it is difficult to do that or not), but I uninstalled the game via the Control Panel and am currently redownloading on Steam. I will keep this updated on what worked or didn't work so that anyone else with the problem now or in the future can know what to do

Okay, so I e-mailed SecuROM directly about this problem. After downloading some sort of tool that retrieved data for the problem and taking a screenshot of the error message and attaching them to a second e-mail, they responded with, verbatim:

the issue."

I do not really know how to find the .exe yet (I haven't really looked into it, so I have no clue if it is difficult to do that or not), but I uninstalled the game via the Control Panel and am currently redownloading on Steam. I will keep this updated on what worked or didn't work so that anyone else with the problem now or in the future can know what to do

Just reinstall the game. I know it's not an exciting task, but it worked for me.

the issue."

IF and I state IF, the dlded game is no different, which I wouldnt think it would be, other than its delivery format...Normally the exe file will be in the Rockstargames default folder, you go to it, then there should be another folder w/in it that says "Grand Theft Auto IV", inside it should be your GTAIV launcher/exe files...

If you dont know where your Rockstargames folder is, you can use your operating system's "search" function to find it.. Most times tho, its in "C:\ProgramFiles.."

Well, I deleted the game, uninstalled it fully, and then redownloaded it--nothing changed whatsoever. There was a way that a user found out how to fix it, but it did not work for me in the least. This solution that apparently works for some people can be found at: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...ad.php?t=762088 in the 2nd post I believe under the title "The Application Has Failed to Launch." I am rather close to wholly giving up and finding a crack for the game since I've already bought the game and it does not work, or perhaps just getting a refund from Steam and buying another game wholly since GTA IV is so obviously fraught with bugs, which begs the question if it is really worth all of this annoyance. So I'll keep it around for just a bit longer to see if I can fix it or whatever, but yeah. I will certainly post if I find a way to fix it for those of us who the other will not work for, though.

So, you're saying you tried this

""The Application Has Failed To Launch"

Cause: Bug when downloading GTAIV through Steam.

Credit: SmileSkill

Solution:

1) Manually navigate to the Steam folder

2) Open "SteamApps"

3) Open "Common"

4) Open "Grand Theft Auto IV"

5) Open the "RGSC" folder

6) Double click "RGSCLauncher"

7) Click back

8) Open "GTAIV"

9) Double click "LaunchGTAIV.exe"

After completing these steps, GTAIV should launch successfully whether you open through Steam or "LaunchGTAIV.exe"

""

That is their solution, thats to me, sounds like they are jus trying to launch the same files, w/ out going through steam, so ...

I know that I was having a problem w/ RGSCLauncher, I realize there was something wrong w/ the one in the second folder so I went into the 1_0_0 .... folder, grabbed a shortcut from that one, put it on my desktop & now RGSCL runs w/ no problems, well, so long as I'm not trying to mod... If you gets your workin, you can proly mod it, as many ppl seem to be doing so w/ the downloaded version ... Many of us w/ the disc arent having much luck YET !