FPS Issues

WharHammer

Hay guys & gals

Just installed GTA IV on my PC. After getting through all the massive rigmarole just to play a game, I have found that the game runs fine for a while, but gradually, my FPS drops to unplayable levels!!!

Any help would be great, here are my system specs:

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5

Proc: AMD AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

Display Card: Gecube ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB OC

Ram: 2gb (2 x 1024MB)Corsair Dominator

O/S: Vista Ultimate SP 1

H/D: 1 X Seagate 350gb

1 X Seagete 80gb

Where is this 'patch thread'? I can't find it anywhere on this forum.

Your setup is exactly the same as what my setup will be (if I decide to get that card to upgrade from a 7900GT) so I would like more info on this.

Please let me know what resolution you are running at, what framerates you are getting and if you fix this issue.

Thanks.

I think your problem is the processor, as said in the patch topic, it may enter in "green mode".

Are u saying that my processor is too slow???

No lol.

But isn't an AMD x2 equal to an Intel Core 2 Duo?

@ Davesta: Search the GTAIV News Section.

Sorry, misunderstanding there, it is a 3gig dual core proc, not sure what you meant about the patch topic??

In response to Davesta's reply, I am running at 1280X1024, another odd thing is that my detail setting keep

resetting to default, as well as my shadows always look terrible. I am not having any luck!!

Hey Whar, actually you & I have similar pc specs, I think what he meant by "green mode" was proly cool n quiet which is like a power saving feature where the cpu slows, voltage is lowered etc but that is not post to happen unless the system is in more of an idle state, not while its runnin full blown apps that demanding 60-90% + cpu as this game does..

Updating: This is an excerpt from an article posted 12/4 on GTAF from R* Techy regarding that (green mode) It is to be addressed in the PATCH...

"Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode."

I've not playt the game much cuz I was havin probs but now I've been waitin most for mods, like to use custom controllers, edit handling etc ..

Anyway, I was havin BAD probs in the beginning, I updated EVERYTHING (drivers/software) but not much difference. I did have the game set at this however, in order

1440x900

Render= Highest

It dint have best FPS but was playable, still eventually it kept runnin out of texture, roads & stuff would disappear so.. R*'s suggestion did not fix it either so I jus lowered Res & other settings, it doesnt look pretty but it had ran for the limited times I playt it .. Sorry couldnt offer a "fix" ..

Edited by Mehhh

Hey Whar, actually you & I have similar pc specs, I think what he meant by "green mode" was proly cool n quiet which is like a power saving feature where the cpu slows, voltage is lowered etc but that is not post to happen unless the system is in more of an idle state, not while its runnin full blown apps that demanding 60-90% + cpu as this game does..

Updating: This is an excerpt from an article posted 12/4 on GTAF from R* Techy regarding that (green mode) It is to be addressed in the PATCH...

"Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode."

I've not playt the game much cuz I was havin probs but now I've been waitin most for mods, like to use custom controllers, edit handling etc ..

Anyway, I was havin BAD probs in the beginning, I updated EVERYTHING (drivers/software) but not much difference. I did have the game set at this however, in order

1440x900

Render= Highest

It dint have best FPS but was playable, still eventually it kept runnin out of texture, roads & stuff would disappear so.. R*'s suggestion did not fix it either so I jus lowered Res & other settings, it doesnt look pretty but it had ran for the limited times I playt it .. Sorry couldnt offer a "fix" ..

[/quo

the problem with the textures disapearing is not to do with the setting, the problem happens because the game uses the ram faster then it dumps it as well that is why your frame rate decline, so with no ram avalable it take some time to load all the textures. The FIX that i found work good is when i find my frame rates dropping or any textures slow to load i pause the game, go to the Game option and turn on the in game video clip option on and then off and that cause the game to dump the ram and you are good to go, this is suppost to get fixed in the up comeing patch when M$ can get off there ass and OK the patch, but in the mean time this seems to work fine for me, O and any Nvidea cards old there i found i got best performance using just One of the cards do to the game doesn't support SLI yet.

My spec are Q 6600 OC to 3.2

two 8800 GTS 640mb

2 gig of ram

and run the game at 1650 x 1050 60HZ

Texture

Render

view dist

1440x900

Render= Highest

[/quo

the problem with the textures disapearing is not to do with the setting, the problem happens because the game uses the ram faster then it dumps it as well that is why your frame rate decline, so with no ram avalable it take some time to load all the textures. The FIX that i found work good is when i find my frame rates dropping or any textures slow to load i pause the game, go to the Game option and turn on the in game video clip option on and then off and that cause the game to dump the ram and you are good to go, this is suppost to get fixed in the up comeing patch when M$ can get off there ass and OK the patch, but in the mean time this seems to work fine for me, O and any Nvidea cards old there i found i got best performance using just One of the cards do to the game doesn't support SLI yet.

My spec are Q 6600 OC to 3.2

two 8800 GTS 640mb

2 gig of ram

and run the game at 1650 x 1050 60HZ

Texture med

Render highest

view dist 40

detail dist 80

vehicle detail 80

shadow 7

mem useage 540/640

FPS around 25 to 30

Yea, well I never posted a frame rate, its not the best but I dont know anyone that has super frame rates ..

Well, what you mentioned about memory sounds like the "memory leak" that ppl speak of, which as I understand it, is where an app doesnt make use of memory that it once used but no longer is using, now I figured that was more an application issue than an operating system issue like some have said..

Altho I know Vista for example uses superfetch where it fills memory up w/ data it "thinks" you will need, this can speed up some things but can cause certain errors like w/ one prog I ran, it determined my system had insufficient memory and closed because Vista's superfetch left my only about 29MB free, it had already filled the memory w/ other crap it THOUGHT I might need soon, they make these things so "smart" they're "dumb"...

O well, I've not run the benchmark but I've updated to the newer beta 3 drivers, also got some other patches and I got the updated Riva. I used fusion to customize a profile to shutdown non-essential services and then used Riva to tune my card abit, even callt it to use about 40MB of sys ram for textures, it ran smoother, lookt much better and stuff dint "disappear" like before .. Its not perfect but I was able to up the settings, it was good but I'm workin on tryin to mod stuff now...

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

Processor: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 8190MB RAM

Page File: 2289MB used, 14288MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 3650

can i run this on my computer gta iv

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

Processor: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 8190MB RAM

Page File: 2289MB used, 14288MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 3650

can i run this on my computer gta iv

the camera spins alot and when i get into cars they wont stop going forward and revsre dont work.

I think your problem is the processor, as said in the patch topic, it may enter in "green mode".

Are u saying that my processor is too slow???

No lol.

But isn't an AMD x2 equal to an Intel Core 2 Duo?

@ Davesta: Search the GTAIV News Section.

Sorry, misunderstanding there, it is a 3gig dual core proc, not sure what you meant about the patch topic??

In response to Davesta's reply, I am running at 1280X1024, another odd thing is that my detail setting keep

resetting to default, as well as my shadows always look terrible. I am not having any luck!!

SOUNDS LIKE VIDEO CARD AND UR COMPUTERS CANT REMBER AND HANDLE.