BIG Laptop Problems! need help

DemonDelight

Anyways, i was bored one day, and i decided to screw around with my laptop, and i ended up opening msconfig, choosing diagnostic startup (think its called), and when i restarted the pc, WLAN didnt work, sound didnt work, cd/dvds didnt work, the hardware list doesnt show up, and i cant uninstall programs, all because certain services fail to start. I tried putting it back to regular startup, and i even system restored (even though the last restore point was after i screwed it up)..

Other than that the actual pc works, and if i want internet it has to be LAN.

Any Help?

Yeah lol, happens to all of us, just for next time make sure you have an idea of what your unchecking. :P

Go back into msconfig, check the box for everything in startup and services like Righty said :) and change the setting to regular (normal startup). then restart when it prompts

you should be all good from there.

so rechecking the boxes IS supposed to fix it? because i did that, and its still screwed, thats why i posted this. <_< sorry i wasnt clear about that.

i was thinking about just downloading a windows xp torrent, and just reinstalling, but it probably wouldnt work to mount the image...

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Kyle.

Do a system restore to the day before you changed the setup config.

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3.On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to.

Click next, next, next, and hope for the best.

Yeah thats your last sorta option apart from reinstall XP.

i wouldnt umm torrent XP. you could run into some BIG problems, since its like a OS...direct control of your hardware etc.

you dont have a XP disc...id buy one if i was you.

Oh also.

what brand is the laptop? most have a recovery partition that you can use (like i did with mine) when i installed a dodgy vista theme.

Edited by WRX22B1998

I dont think your reading my post all the way through...

Llama: ...and i even system restored (even though the last restore point was after i screwed it up)..

by "last" i meant the earliest one i could get

WRX: ...cd/dvds didnt work,

So there really is no reason to pay $$ that i dont have for xp, when the pc wont read it anyway, thats why i wanted a torrent to use with the product key sticker on the bottom of the laptop, but im sure "mounting" the image wouldnt work for that.

The laptop is an Acer 2400 travelmate (something like that), and it does have a backup partition.

Edited by Kyle.

Can it read the USB's?If can,put windows on the USB (better have a 2 or 4 GB USB)and when you putted windows on the usb,restart,go to BIOS,go to advanced controls,(or boot menu)and Boot Device Priority.Set USB as the 1st one and let it install.When you're done go to bios and put the HDD as the 1st device to boot from.

Vice: It doesnt read disks. nothing, nada.

only thing it does read are its internal keyboard and touchpad, LAN internet cable, and internal/ external displays. (which is good because the internal dispay is broke). so i can only go on the internet with an RJ45, no wireless, and thats basicly it.

So saying that, thumbdrives wont work. I think im screwed.

Edited by Kyle.

what did you do. if its what you said, and you followed the steps we gave, it should be fixed, i got the same problem on my laptop one time.

just, when you boot it up. press ALT+F10, keep hitting that til it opens a recovery console thingy.

basically now, that will re-format, and then reinstall windows. if you dont have any data you wanna save, then this is fine to go ahead, otherwise I would just boot into XP, and backup everything.

it's not booting from a CD/DVD/USB because 1. it is either a oldish laptop so wont be able to boot from USB or 2. you havent set CMOS (BIOS) correctly.

when you boot up, keep pressing F1, or F2, or delete (not backspace). that should open your BIOS up. follow the instructions XLR8 posted.

s-v as for that comment, me and my cousin were running dos prompts etc when we were like 9, to start a DOS game. kthxbye :P

edit: you got a couple options, either do that, or you can get "Ultimate boot cd". if you have access to another computer with a cdburner, get this on there, burn it as a bootable disc with imgburn

also check out: this

good luck :)

Edited by WRX22B1998

what did you do. if its what you said, and you followed the steps we gave, it should be fixed, i got the same problem on my laptop one time.

just, when you boot it up. press ALT+F10, keep hitting that til it opens a recovery console thingy.

basically now, that will re-format, and then reinstall windows. if you dont have any data you wanna save, then this is fine to go ahead, otherwise I would just boot into XP, and backup everything.

it's not booting from a CD/DVD/USB because 1. it is either a oldish laptop so wont be able to boot from USB or 2. you havent set CMOS (BIOS) correctly.

when you boot up, keep pressing F1, or F2, or delete (not backspace). that should open your BIOS up. follow the instructions XLR8 posted.

s-v as for that comment, me and my cousin were running dos prompts etc when we were like 9, to start a DOS game. kthxbye :P

edit: you got a couple options, either do that, or you can get "Ultimate boot cd". if you have access to another computer with a cdburner, get this on there, burn it as a bootable disc with imgburn

also check out: this

good luck :)

the laptop is only about 2 years old. everything was fine on it (usb drives worked, WLAN worked etc) untill i was at my buddies house with it. i fooled around with msconfig, shut it down, took it home, and when i turned it back on, it was all screwed. i might be able to post some screenies later when im on it.

Ill try Alt+F10 when i get on it later

Edited by Kyle.

WRX: THANK YOU!! I pressed Alt+F10 at the startup and it reverted back to factory settings. The sound works at the little first time run screen, so that made me excited :P

one problem though: the laptop screen is cracked to shit, and i memorized that if i right click the screen, press the down arrow six times, and press Enter a couple times, it switches to the ext moniter. Now though, i have that first time startup thing i have to go through first, and i cant see a thing. any way to set the ext moniter as default dispay at startup?

Is this what the first boot looks like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MYi6hrz4_8

If it is, i might be able to navigate my way down to the bottom of the screen and just click next a bunch :)

EDIT: Turns out that doesnt work too well, because theres certain options i have to click in order to click next, and i dont know where they are. No one knows which keyboard keys to press in order to complete the setup do they?? :P

Edited by Kyle.