Can't save my game

razzman

I stopped playing san andreas for a while and recently decided to get back into it only to find my game can no longer find the save files I had (they're clearly there in the directory but when I start the game and go to load it say all save files are empty) and it won't let me save a new game. Everytime I try to save I get the message "Save failed! There was an error while saving the current game. Please check your save game directory and try again. " I tried deleting the save directory and creating a new one but that didn't help I even re-installed the game and mods from scratch but that didn't work either. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this? I'm using XP if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

Also found that I cant start the game by double clicking on the desktop icon anymore, I have to right click and go to run as... and make sure that the protect my computer box is checked or it won't start at all. I never used to have to do this.

I am afraid that has nothing to do with the game, and everything to do with XP user permissions. Have you changed your accounts lately or messed with the user accounts? If not it could be a denial of service virus, trojan, or worm. (scan the drive)

Depending on how much damage is done to your account. You could be looking at having to rebuild or remake your user account. You might end up going as far as having to restoring or rebuilding your registry.

Here is a link you might want to try:

http://brajeshwar.com/2005/file-access-den...take-ownership/

I see, thanks. The strange thing is San Andreas is the only game I have to do this for all my other games run fine. I haven't changed any account settings that I know of and I've run virus, malware and spyware scans with no problems found. Could the problem be because I ran a registry cleaner to try and speed up my machine a couple of weeks before I started trying to play SA again?

• 2 weeks later...