what do you think about Balkan?

falconfan32

Sort of in the wrong forum but I guess it fits.

When Dimitri Rascalove said " Your a piece of Balkan shit " Is that some kind of insult? Like Polak? Every in the game said Polack.

No, it's just saying where he comes from. For example if he was Chinese, he'd say "You're a Chinese piece of shit"... he's just saying it to emphasise his dislike by inferring all people from his region are the same.

The Polak thing is an insult however. It's a great example of typical Western ignorance. They can't tell the subtle differences in accents from countries in Eastern Europe, so they just assume he's Polish (one of the biggest countries there so it's understandable) and call him that.

Sort of in the wrong forum but I guess it fits.
When Dimitri Rascalove said " Your a piece of Balkan shit " Is that some kind of insult? Like Polak? Every in the game said Polack.

No, it's just saying where he comes from. For example if he was Chinese, he'd say "You're a Chinese piece of shit"... he's just saying it to emphasise his dislike by inferring all people from his region are the same.

The Polak thing is an insult however. It's a great example of typical Western ignorance. They can't tell the subtle differences in accents from countries in Eastern Europe, so they just assume he's Polish (one of the biggest countries there so it's understandable) and call him that.

It's like if I called Chris a "Tea-drinking bastard". lol

I don't mind the Balkans, you don't often hear about it in Western Countries. But yeah, the only countries I have quite a lot of knowledge about is Poland, Serbia and Bosnia. You don't often get taught about Greece, Kosovo, Montengegro etc.

There are loads of slang for Balkan citizens as there is with Western countries. "Brit" was a slang word for "British" until the Press started using it a lot more. The biggest insult for Americans by Europe was "Fat bastards" and often the country was labelled as "Fast Food Paradise". Another one is "frog" for French people. "bohunk" is American slang for "Eastern/Central European".

Just thought I'd share that :P

He calls Niko a "serf" I guess because that's what you call villagers and etc. in Russia, (or at least, that's what they used to do way back).

@macorules: Croatia, Serbia, and Bosnia... the same people? Croatia is entirely Catholic, Serbia is entirely Orthodox, and Bosnia is half and half, half Muslim, half Serbian Orthodox. If any countries were to merge, it'd be Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia, as those countries were all basically together for years until recently, speak the same language, are mainly the same religion (Orthodox), and etc. Plus, those countries were friends until as recent as earlier this year. :/ BTW, when I go to Serbia next year I think I might end up stopping by Skopje as well, might be interesting.

Anyway, yeah, he's definitely of Serbian decent. And also, please don't begin talking about the Yugoslav wars and who died more etc., as every single person from each different country would have a different view point and everyone would just get pissed off at each other.

He calls Niko a "serf" I guess because that's what you call villagers and etc. in Russia, (or at least, that's what they used to do way back).

@macorules: Croatia, Serbia, and Bosnia... the same people? Croatia is entirely Catholic, Serbia is entirely Orthodox, and Bosnia is half and half, half Muslim, half Serbian Orthodox. If any countries were to merge, it'd be Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia, as those countries were all basically together for years until recently, speak the same language, are mainly the same religion (Orthodox), and etc. Plus, those countries were friends until as recent as earlier this year. :/ BTW, when I go to Serbia next year I think I might end up stopping by Skopje as well, might be interesting.

Anyway, yeah, he's definitely of Serbian decent. And also, please don't begin talking about the Yugoslav wars and who died more etc., as every single person from each different country would have a different view point and everyone would just get pissed off at each other.

Lol what happened that stopped them from being friends?

Edited by macorules94

i rekon that Croatia, serbia and bosnia should unite and make one country

They are the same ppl, same language, etc..

Their not all exactly the same, that's what makes Europe and Europeans unique. Each country (there are +50 of them) is different. I believe all three of the countries you mentioned made up Yugoslavia a couple of decades ago. They're still in war and I don't think they'll ever be back together. I hope some of the Balkan countries decide to put in an application for the EU, that way I could just go there and not need a VISA as such and live there without work permit.

Both Montenegro and Macedonia recognized the independence of Kosovo. Montenegro is an odd situation as their president seems to be very anti-Serbia, yet Serbs make up nearly half or more of the population (you'd think they for sure wouldn't, just like Bosnia).

@Thomas: Most of the Balkan countries will join the EU. Greece is already in, I believe Macedonia has a candidate status, Serbia plans to submit its application in the first half of 2009 (say reports from today), Croatia will join in the next couple years and is already almost there, Montenegro sent in its application a few weeks ago (despite the French presidency's opposition), etc.

Serbia really is such a nice place to visit. Belgrade really can be a European capital, there's so much to see, do, etc. On top of that, Serbia's second biggest city, Novi Sad, hosts one of Europe's best music festivals, the EXIT festival.

Also, no one's at war. I dunno where you heard that... But I agree, I doubt they'll be like reunited, but I mean, I dunno, eventually all the Serbs will want to be together in one country (like how now there's that Serb republic in Bosnia, or how half+ of Montenegro's small population is Serbian) I would think? :/ What would be badass would be if like, for a Euro or a World Cup competition if they hosted it in the former Yugoslavia. Stuff like that would be epic, since most of the countries are small, they could all get something in their biggest city, plus it would advertise peace in the region, etc. Would be great IMO, as I doubt any of the countries would be ready to host an entire tournament by themselves (although Belgrade did want to host one of the Olympics...).

Both Montenegro and Macedonia recognized the independence of Kosovo. Montenegro is an odd situation as their president seems to be very anti-Serbia, yet Serbs make up nearly half or more of the population (you'd think they for sure wouldn't, just like Bosnia).

@Thomas: Most of the Balkan countries will join the EU. Greece is already in, I believe Macedonia has a candidate status, Serbia plans to submit its application in the first half of 2009 (say reports from today), Croatia will join in the next couple years and is already almost there, Montenegro sent in its application a few weeks ago (despite the French presidency's opposition), etc.

Serbia really is such a nice place to visit. Belgrade really can be a European capital, there's so much to see, do, etc. On top of that, Serbia's second biggest city, Novi Sad, hosts one of Europe's best music festivals, the EXIT festival.

Also, no one's at war. I dunno where you heard that... But I agree, I doubt they'll be like reunited, but I mean, I dunno, eventually all the Serbs will want to be together in one country (like how now there's that Serb republic in Bosnia, or how half+ of Montenegro's small population is Serbian) I would think? :/ What would be badass would be if like, for a Euro or a World Cup competition if they hosted it in the former Yugoslavia. Stuff like that would be epic, since most of the countries are small, they could all get something in their biggest city, plus it would advertise peace in the region, etc. Would be great IMO, as I doubt any of the countries would be ready to host an entire tournament by themselves (although Belgrade did want to host one of the Olympics...).

Crna Gora shouldnt have recognized kosovo, but...

as for Macedonia.....Serbia helped split it up so..why not lol

and if you go to Skopje, also go to Ohrid!

Edited by macorules94

Well, first off, I'll put aside the fact that it's AGAINST INTERNATIONAL LAW, but perhaps because those same people who want Kosovo independent also would like the western part of your country? Secondly, maybe because Macedonia is an Orthodox country, and should support its Orthodox friends. Thirdly because Macedonia used to be apart of Serbia for an extremely long time, and many "Macedonians" used to call themselves "Serbs." Shall I keep going?

I dunno, maybe Serbia should go back and call it "The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" instead of the, "Republic of Macedonia." Only fair if you guys don't support us, why should we support you, eh?

Yugoslavia started to collapse because serbs were "kings" of everything. I mean everything was in their hands. Other countries saw they was used and than everything started to collapse. serbia didn"t want that and they attacked every country which wanted to "get out of Yugoslavia".

But Serbia didn"t win any war. Bosnia wanted to get out of Yugoslavia, too and that finished bloody. War started in 1991. and bloody finished in 1995. Serbs didn"t win again, but they had everything: tanks, guns, all kinds of that killing stuff and they didn"t win, thanks to Bosnia army and America who sent planes,hidras (howewer), and thanks to America, Bosnia is still alive. I" repeating again: they had everything and they didn"t win. Our soldiers didn"t have anything; their equipment were bats, some knives and naked, bloody hands, and again, Serbs didn"t win. But I"cant tell that we won. Today they have more than half of our country!! And, MishoM, it ain"t half serbs,half muslims and half croatians. No, that"s not exactly. It is 25% croatians (croatian people), 25% muslim and 50% serbs.

Wrong. Yugoslavia started to collapse because the country was divided instead of united. During World War II, there were two Serb resistance groups, the Partizans and Tito (communists), and the Chetniks and Draza Mihailovic (democracy), everyone was supporting Mihailovic, until for some reason they started supporting the communists, yes, even America and Great Britain did. What did Tito do? Well he divided up Yugoslavia even more, and in doing so, he ended up making Serbia an extremely small country.

Map of Serbia in 1918:

250px-Serbia1918.png

Map of Serbia in the SFR Yugoslavia (1945-1992):

250px-SFRYugoslaviaNumbered.png

The state was meant to fall apart, that's obvious. (Maps are taken from Wikipedia)

Now on to the Bosnian war, the Bosnian Serbs were winning up until America intervened, so don't go on with your "we won with are own cold hands," as it's simply not true. And even then so, did you win? Nope, as far as I can see, there IS STILL a Serbian Republic known as the Republika Srpska in Bosnia, and Bosnia can't do anything without their approval. If they don't want in the EU, Bosnia can't go, etc. Serbs control half of Bosnia (or was it just a little over half?), oh, and I'm sure Bosnia doesn't like that fact that they threaten with succession on a routine basis. Oh, but of course, if they were to succeed, you guys would probably start a war, and then somehow blame it on the Serbs, but hey, no one can start a war if someone is trying to succeed from Serbia.

Double standards for the Serbs are fun!

----

ANYWAYS, like I said, I'd rather not talk about that type of stuff and would rather talk about us all liking each other. :) I was actually just reading this arcticle about Serbia and Bosnia as partners. Which they should be I think.

EDIT: On a side note, check it out, Belgrade, Serbia, will host an ATP event this May! The Djokovic family is in charge, which is awesome. It'll be a 250 ATP tournament:

128.jpg

You can read about it at Novak Djokovic's site or at the official ATP website! :)!

Wrong. Yugoslavia started to collapse because the country was divided instead of united. During World War II, there were two Serb resistance groups, the Partizans and Tito (communists), and the Chetniks and Draza Mihailovic (democracy), everyone was supporting Mihailovic, until for some reason they started supporting the communists, yes, even America and Great Britain did. What did Tito do? Well he divided up Yugoslavia even more, and in doing so, he ended up making Serbia an extremely small country.

Map of Serbia in 1918:

250px-Serbia1918.png

The state was meant to fall apart, that's obvious. (Maps are taken from Wikipedia)

Now on to the Bosnian war, the Bosnian Serbs were winning up until America intervened, so don't go on with your "we won with are own cold hands," as it's simply not true. And even then so, did you win? Nope, as far as I can see, there IS STILL a Serbian Republic known as the Republika Srpska in Bosnia, and Bosnia can't do anything without their approval. If they don't want in the EU, Bosnia can't go, etc. Serbs control half of Bosnia (or was it just a little over half?), oh, and I'm sure Bosnia doesn't like that fact that they threaten with succession on a routine basis. Oh, but of course, if they were to succeed, you guys would probably start a war, and then somehow blame it on the Serbs, but hey, no one can start a war if someone is trying to succeed from Serbia.

----

ANYWAYS, like I said, I'd rather not talk about that type of stuff and would rather talk about us all liking each other. :) I was actually just reading this arcticle about Serbia and Bosnia as partners. Which they should be I think.

EDIT: On a side note, check it out, Belgrade, Serbia, will host an ATP event this May! The Djokovic family is in charge, which is awesome. It'll be a 250 ATP tournament:

128.jpg

You can read about it at Novak Djokovic's site or at the official ATP website! :)!

Lol, Tennis sucks. Why don't you get to host something really special, let's say...The Olympics for example ?

Map of Serbia in 1918:

250px-Serbia1918.png

----

128.jpg

Look better at my message. I didn"t say that we won war. I said that they own more than half country. Why are you lying?

I say: serbs are just blood-thirsty assholes and losers. They had everything. The whole kiling stuff. Yes, they own half country, BUT MY BOSNIA IS STILL ALIVE!!! I say, with that all stuff they you can beat half Europe, but they didn"t can win the that so small country. I mean, If you look at it as man you will see that they are ... (sorry for ugly rhymes)

A, koji si ga ti?Ti mora da si srb koji živi u Hrvatskoj, jel de?

Edited by ABOSS