Windows 7

Spaz The Great

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lulz, I did download it last night with Firefox. The link Chris posted works, I'm about to test!

Also I hear there's a bug that will erase a few seconds off of your MP3s if you let Windows Media Player update your ID3 tags. Just don't use Windows Media Player. You really shouldn't do that anyway, even if you're not testing W7.

Yes I got my key! Still need wait for it to finish downloading though, 2.44 GBs is quite a lot. The thing that sucks is that I have to use IE to download the beta, currently on 32%.

It took about an hour and a half for me to download it.

lulz, I did download it last night with Firefox. The link Chris posted works, I'm about to test!

Also I hear there's a bug that will erase a few seconds off of your MP3s if you let Windows Media Player update your ID3 tags. Just don't use Windows Media Player. You really shouldn't do that anyway, even if you're not testing W7.

A. You're an avid Windows fanboysupporter, and yet you have something that hard against WMP?

B. They're releasing a patch for that.

I'm on Windows 7 right now, took a while to install but it was probably worth the wait. The thing that I absolutely love about 7 is that it uses Vista drivers and shit, which makes programs designed for XP/Vista available to use for 7. I'm on Firefox now btw, IE is shite. One problem though, I can't scroll down using the scroller on the laptop mouse thingy.

You're an avid Windows fanboysupporter, and yet you have something that hard against WMP?

Windows =/= Windows Media Player, generally built in media players are bad. QuickTime also sucks a lot more than OSX ever will and mplayer for Linux...well, the best media player (for videos) on any platform is VLC, for audio on Windows it's Winamp. Yeah, Windows Media Player is horrible and should never be used ever.

I'm on Windows 7 right now, took a while to install but it was probably worth the wait. The thing that I absolutely love about 7 is that it uses Vista drivers and shit, which makes programs designed for XP/Vista available to use for 7. I'm on Firefox now btw, IE is shite. One problem though, I can't scroll down using the scroller on the laptop mouse thingy.

Yeah my normal mouse wouldn't scroll on 7 either. But when I bought a new mouse, I installed the drivers, and it works fine. So I assume it's just a driver issue?

You're an avid Windows fanboysupporter, and yet you have something that hard against WMP?

Windows =/= Windows Media Player, generally built in media players are bad. QuickTime also sucks a lot more than OSX ever will and mplayer for Linux...well, the best media player (for videos) on any platform is VLC, for audio on Windows it's Winamp. Yeah, Windows Media Player is horrible and should never be used ever.

Funny, I have no problem with WMP or QuickTime. I can hardly use VLC, and Winamp is a resource heavy POS. WMP has always worked quicker and more stable than Winamp for me. Winamp use to actually frequently crash.

And really, WMP seems comparable to Vista to me((especially the further they go adding various tools that 90% of it's users don't use)).

Yesterday I downloaded my copy of Windows 7 and I should say it's awesome. The installation took 1 hour and it was worth the time, I installed all drivers and essencial applications like CCleaner, WinRAR, etc.

I also like DirectX 11, seems awesome how Microsoft is progressing awesomely fast in the graphics world but since I don't have a DX10 capable card in the PC I installed it, I cannot see the difference.

Edited by Spider-Vice

As always, you will need newer graphics cards to take full advantage of newer games. That has always been true. Whether it is simply for technical reasons (newer cards have higher performance), sometimes there are specific graphics features that require newer cards.

Usually using an older previous-generation graphics card just stops you using some of the more clever effect, like a lot of particle physics that comes with current DX10 cards. But the games should almost always still work with slightly older cards (eg DX9 cards).

It's not as if suddenly from next-week onwards ALL games will FORCE you to have a DX11 card. Most people won't get a DX11 card for at least 18 months from now, probably a couple of years, but DX9 and DX10 cards should still work just fine until then.

I just got windows 7 and using Mozilla. Norton says the site has to viruses:

Threats found: 2

Here is a complete list:

Threat Name: Trojan.Vundo.B

File name: /apps/Symantec/shasta/analysis/cache/cache_22/1107274317_MTAInstall05.exe

Signature (MD5): 2909dbbee2a6cc36650e101a38272122

Location: http://files.gtainside.com/downloads/ftp/1...TAInstall05.exe

Threat Name: Trojan.Vundo.B

File name: /apps/Symantec/shasta/analysis/cache/cache_513/MTAInstall05.exe

Signature (MD5): 2909dbbee2a6cc36650e101a38272122

Location: http://www.thegtaplace.com/downloads/mta/MTAInstall05.exe

It may be some trainers.

They're both the same file, it's possible some asshole uploaded an MTA installer that's a virus, but it looks like that was uploaded by Chris. So I'll go check and tell you etc.

Edit: Ok I can confirm ours is fine and I can also confirm that Norton most likely has MTAInstall.exe on some sort of blacklist. GTAInside isn't our site, so chances are it's Norton.

Never trust Norton, it's one of the worst Anti Virus programs you can get.

SV: Installation took an hour? Fuck that's a long time. I thought you had pretty good specs too. Only took me half an hour or so, which for an OS is pretty decent.

My opinions and observations so far:

IE8

Well, it's far superior to IE7. Feature like private browsing are now added. And best of all, STANDARDS COMPLIANCE! YES! Finally, sites actually display correctly in IE, no stupid CSS hacks needed to make sites work!

Still won't make me switch from Firefox though. I use too many addons etc. and Firefox 3.1 will have private browsing so there's literally no reason to change to IE8.

Drivers

Yeah it's awesome that it can use Vista drivers. The only thing I actually needed to install drivers for was my USB wireless adapter, everything else worked straight out of the box, even my graphics card.

ATi do actually have Windows 7 drivers already out which is great, installed those fine so I may try some games tomorrow on it, see how they play.

New taskbar

It's growing on me. Didn't think it was much of an improvement at first but now I've used it it's actually quite nice. Say you've got multiple tabs open in your browser, you click the icon in the taskbar to go to it and get preview windows of all your open tabs, hovering over one will preview it fullscreen. Nice touch.

And if you're downloading files. The icon has a progress bar in the background so you can judge how much it's done even if not even using the browser. Another nice touch. It also looks a lot less cluttered so that's an good improvement.

I don't give a shit if people think they're coping OS X or whatever, because who fucking cares, it's an improvement IMO, so good on MS for doing it.

Program compatibility

Haven't tried all that much yet, but I've had no errors doing anything so far.

Installed DivX 7 codecs so I can play movies and stuff.

Installed VLC so I can watch it all.

Just about to get some IM's so I can talk to peeps online.

Anything anyone wants me to test who hasn't/can't install the beta?